• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Regarding the December 2009 issue of the smithsonian magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

K&J Birds

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
J.T.
So, After re-reading this issue a few times, I was struck with a thoguht. Does anyone happen to know of any volunteer opportunities as far as potentially stopping the wild bird trade go? I mean, while it was very factually informative, it kinda curdled my stomach. Listening to this guy tell about how he watched a breeding pair of scarlets for weeks, then their nesting tree was chopped down, and they kept going in to check for their chicks. Then he said that as much as 48% of baby blue and gold die in the wild when their trees are cut down. I just felt the need to ask if anyone had any info on this. It'd be greatly appriciated!!!!!!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I dont know, but I would think that the best thing to do would be just to make your way down there with a group of people with he same ideas and follow the poachers and scare away the wild birds before the poachers have a chance to steal them out of their wildlands(Like how peopel do it for Whalers) and EDUCATE locals.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
ONe speaker at parrot festival in Houston talked about reintroducing lesser sulfers back into their native areas. This vet found it is a multifaceted solution to be successful. Number one was choosing a site. The local citizens needed to be involved. They used culture, religion and to make these birds sacred. Blessings took place, pride was instilled and the social law of the land had far more impact than any government law. Birds for reintroduction were used from the local areas. There are many birds in this country but were not used because of import/export issues from both countries and a beaureucratic political nightmare. There was also funding for a school that had a program of participation of preparing sites for the birds. Teaching the children, involving high school students gave more meaning to the program and would perpetuate the success.

The indonesian project is but one that is helping to return birds to their natural environment.

Volunteer. YOu can look at wild life rehabbers in this country and offer your services to them. We have rain forest destruction here...loss or low numbers of some species of birds here. That is one way to make a difference.

PEggy
Peggy

Missi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
World Parrot Trust, for sure!!!

M

M.C Bird Rescue

You can volunteer in Costa Rica at the breed to release program. Talk to Daria , she has a lot of info.

WPT_Steve

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Steve Milpacher
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the interesting discussion topics and posts. I work for the World Parrot Trust and thought you might be interested to learn about our new campaign to end the trade in wild caught birds and to return parrots to the wild.

Its called FLYFREE and you can learn more about it at www.parrots.org/flyfree.

At the site you'll find the latest information of our work and that of the 12 front-line partners the program is supporting around the world. You'll also find information about volunteer opportunities and how you can help further. In particular we've just started working with ARCAS in Guatemala. Each year they rescue several dozen parrots, rehabilitate them and release them back to the wild. They also conduct education programs and work with the government to reduce trade.

Hope this is helpful.

Best,
Steve Milpacher - World Parrot Trust

Last edited by a moderator:

Amaterasu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I bought this one particular issue as something to read on the plane on a trip to Belize (Scarlet Macaws are native to the country). There were only 100 wild birds in the country as of 1996 and they are only found in virgin rain forest that inaccessible to the average person. Most of the country is covered in secondary forest that is about 80-100 years old.

If they start using those new body scanners at airports that may cut down the numbers that people attempt to bring into the US. But I don't think they will ever be able to hinder the people who sell them to others within their own country or those who smuggle them across the US/Mexico border.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
Do you know that there are less than 70 blue throated macaws left in the wild? I had Canadian birders come see my wild macaws this week ( they sent great pics vis e mail but I'm still working on how to post them) and they had been to Chiapas Mexico( visit@luxuriousmexico.com) to see the macaws and recommended a book , the Last Scarlet, about this horrible practice of destroying parrots and their habitat. Also see hatchedtoflyfree.org for more info on their reintroduction program- great way to help parrots, see the country like a native and stay cheap ( $15.00 a day with families that also volunteer). Close to the airport on the Pacific side (less than 1/2 hour) and the climate is great.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the interesting discussion topics and posts. I work for the World Parrot Trust and thought you might be interested to learn about our new campaign to end the trade in wild caught birds and to return parrots to the wild.

Its called FLYFREE and you can learn more about it at www.parrots.org/flyfree.

At the site you'll find the latest information of our work and that of the 12 front-line partners the program is supporting around the world. You'll also find information about volunteer opportunities and how you can help further. In particular we've just started working with ARCAS in Guatemala. Each year they rescue several dozen parrots, rehabilitate them and release them back to the wild. They also conduct education programs and work with the government to reduce trade.

Hope this is helpful.

Best,
Steve Milpacher - World Parrot Trust
Steve thanks for posting on our board. You have many supporters on our forum. I am a new member of WPT and plan to contribute to the Flyfree program you have going this year.

Last edited:

K&J Birds

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
J.T.
Wow! What a wealth of info!! I've really been considering it, because i see people abuse these beautiful animals and it drives me bonkers!!! Thanks again, so very much!!!!!

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
Steve- I tried your web site and my explorer couldn't locate it. Is there an alternative site for the fly free program of the World Parrot Organization?

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
Super video! Thanks -Glad to find out that 90% survival rate- pretty impressive. I know that here in Miami the wild flock sometimes falls victim to hawks and poachers- Mostly escaped pets that join the flock- the born in the wild core flock is more wary. Will try to contact that organization and see if I can get those artifical nest baxes- that is the main problem of our Miami flock - people cut down their nest sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.