• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Reflection Obsession and Separation Anxiety. Please help :c

Biscuitpaw

Meeting neighbors
Hi, I was hoping you guys could help me out with some advice on how to deal with some behavioral issues I've been having with my cockatiel..? I love him very much, but I'm at my wit's end..

His name is Tango and he's about 2 and a half years old. My husband and I adopted him from a family who sadly didn't have the time for him. We've had him since the beginning of the year, about mid-January. We adopted him to help me with my mental health, and unfortunately he's been more detrimental to it recently..

I've had cockatiels before, but only females, so Tango is a bit of a new experience to me. He came to us with a reflection obsession that I was only informed of when we came to pick him up. I figured it wouldn't be too difficult to manage, since all we had to do was keep him away from reflective surfaces. Unfortunately, it proved to be a bigger problem than we had anticipated. His previous owners had his wings clipped because he would find his reflection somewhere and would swoop and attack anyone who came close. We've kept his wings clipped and done our best to keep him away from reflective surfaces, but as soon as we think we're good, he'll find his reflection somewhere new, where we would never had expected it, such as the water in his bowl (we then got him a smaller bowl), the metal washers holding up his perches (we now only use rope perches with plastic), and even his own shadow. He then becomes incredibly protective of his "mate" and will bite to the point of drawing blood. In those situations I always end up removing him from where he is (using a towel to pick him up) and/or remove whatever's got his attention. Unfortunately, I can't always remove it (we rent our home and the closet doors are mirrors, etc.) but this ties into his other issue.

I want to mention at this point that we've got him on a day/night cycle that ensures he gets at least 14 hours of sleep a night and have been since we got him.

Since my husband worked all day (pre-pandemic), I would spend all my time with Tango. He and I would hang out in the living room all day, him either on his makeshift portable bird gym, or walking around on the floor, mostly under the glass coffee table. He bonded to me, although not like a mate, he hasn't tried to "woo" me, and for a while it was nice, he likes his kisses and head scritches and would sit on my shoulder whenever he could. Unfortunately he became TOO attatched.. he developed seperation anxiety and would start flock calling and singing frantically whenever I would leave the room or wasn't within eyesight. It wasn't a big deal up until my husband had to start working from home. I started getting self conscious about the noise because my husband was getting frustrated. At first I tried ignoring Tango's until he's quiet for a little bit, a few seconds maybe. I thought maybe he would then associate that screaming doesn't work. But that a bad take on my part and I ended up feeling trapped in the room with him because I knew he would start screaming if I left, and if I did leave, I wouldn't be able to return until he stopped.. eventually. And I would have to rush back in before he started up again a few moments later. And if I forgot my phone or something in the room, too bad. Eventually I decided to think of a new flock call for him to use for me, a short, generic whistle that was MUCH quieter than the default cockatiel flock call. It was working with mixed results. He started picking up on it, but whenever I would call back to him, he would get LOUDER, more frantic, more desperate, essentially prolonging the screaming fit. I was frustrated, my husband was frustrated.

I figured being around us for too long made him too dependent on us, so in a last-ditch effort to teach Tango to be more independent (as well as kind of a mental break for me), I set up his cage by the window in the pet room (opened w/ a screen) during the day so he can enjoy the breeze and look outside. Although he still complains when I leave, I make sure to call back to him when he uses the whistle I taught him. He's quiet more often now and calms down quicker. However.. I did feel bad that he essentially was caged up all day, even with toys and the window, (aside from my visits when he was quiet). So I opened his cage door to let him get a better view and feel more free. He liked that a LOT.. until he realized he could jump onto the windowsill and scooted over to where the window was closed (it slides open to the side. His cage was placed in front of the open side). He saw himself in the glass, and became aggressive/protective of the entire window. So now, cage open or not, I can't leave him by the window or he will try to bite me, which he has. I had to move him away from the window..

I've also realized why he loved to hang out underneath the glass table in the living room.. if anything is on the table (such as a table mat), he can see his reflection from underneath because it turns the glass into a reflective surface due to the darkness. So now he can't walk around on the floor until we get an entirely new set of living room furniture (all tables are glass and we thought it would be ok if we just didn't let him hang out on top of it or had a towel on it).

Anyways, back to the cage.. I hear him flirting from time to time, (he has a specific tune he does while doing heart-wings and side stepping), but since I can't enter the room when he's doing that (it'll teach him that the song will make me appear to check it out), I can't tell when he's singing to. Is it a toy..? The window..? (He's not by it anymore but he can still see the window) A perch..? His food/water bowl..? I do hear him put his head into one of the bowls when singing (changes the sound). How am I supposed to determine what he's singing to so I can take it away..?? And if it's the window, I can't remove the window, nor do we have any blinds. We don't have another room that we could put him in, but something is making him suddenly territorially aggressive and I can't figure out what. He was okay before the window incident (yesterday), so that's why I suspect the window.

He's also become wary of hands because now he associates them with being put back into the cage, but I'm working on that with treats like I used to when he first arrived. I have a pouch of spray millet taped by the door of the pet room so we can come in and reward him with whenever he is quiet and tempt him to step up with it. Hopefully it gets better..?

I've gotten really disheartened and depressed the past couple of days because of all this because it feels like I can't give Tango any freedom. No matter how well I try to bird proof an area, he finds himself/his reflection somewhere. But I know he needs mental stimulation. I'm looking into forage toys but they seem to be marketed towards larger birds and are too big. But I also have to make sure that it's not made from metal or shiny plastic, or has ANY tiny pieces (washers, screws, chains, bells) that are made from them because then he WILL see his reflection, however vaguely.

I also just want to note that the "cage treatment" has only been going on for the past 3 days. I found that Tango had made a lot more progress with us whistling back and forth to eachother from his cage than when he was on his bird gym with my husband and I.

I know it's far from ideal to make his cage his main area though.. cockatiels need social time, but I was just worried maybe he had too much and got needy..? I feel very conflicted.. progress aside, is this the right thing to do..? I feel better this way because I can freely move about the house, and Tango gets assured that I'm still home/close by with the flock calls, (and, like I've mentioned, he's made better progress this way) but I still feel guilty..? Am I a bad owner..? Or am I doing the right thing..?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I do not know the answers to fix this problem but I am curious to know what @Monica or some of the others think. I am curious if he has he ever had a bird friend before? I wonder if he would act the same over a real friend as he does with the reflection of himself.

Biscuitpaw

Meeting neighbors
I do not know the answers to fix this problem but I am curious to know what @Monica or some of the others think. I am curious if he has he ever had a bird friend before? I wonder if he would act the same over a real friend as he does with the reflection of himself.
He actually did have a buddy at his previous home. He had passed and that was mainly the reason why they wanted to rehome Tango. They wanted either someone with another bird or someone with enough free time to hang out with him.

I don't know if he had this problem when his friend was around, however.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How long ago did he lose his friend? I wonder if this is still part of the problem. Birds mourn just like people do and I'm wondering if in a weird way he's still looking for him. His hormones do also seem out of control which could also be because of his age. I've never had a young tiel but I believe males go through a period of hormones around two. (Other tiel people, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.) My male tiel once went through a crazy hormonal period. I bought him something called Herb Salad (I got it My Safe Bird Store). The idea is birds pick through it and eat the herbs they need. It may have been a coincidence but my tiel calmed down 2-3 days after giving it to him. And I made it into a foraging game too. I put it in a small dish with some seeds, paper, etc that he could dig through. As for foraging toys, I know I've seen some small card board box toys that you can stuff. I'm drawing a blank right now which vendor carries them. You can also just take those finger trap toys and stuff them with crinkle paper and a few seeds. My tiels like those a lot.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
@Biscuitpaw thank you for thinking outside of the box in ways to try and help him! Sometimes the answer is caging the bird! This is especially true with an aggressive bird that is flying to attack people. The answer here isn't to keep taking the bird out of the cage, thus continually allowing the bird to attack someone... but rather, to cage them so they can't continue the behavior, then start working on *NEW* behaviors. Teach these desired behaviors through the cage bars before even considering allowing the bird OUT of the cage! There's a lot of people who are against this idea however... We need to set the bird (and ourselves) up for success, not allow the bird (and us) to continue failing. This is, of course, a temporary thing! Caging the bird.

Birds (and perhaps animals in general) that have no outlet for their energy (mental or physical) may find ways on their own to release that energy... which may include masturbation, increased hormones, increased chances of looking for a mate, a nesting place, etc. If he's obsessed with his reflection, he may not take to another bird very well. You could certainly try it, just be aware that another bird will not be his reflection... and it wont necessarily solve the issues you are having with him.

In regards to foraging.... you can either buy a small piece of fake grass or grow some real grass (bird seed, cat grass or otherwise) and then sprinkle food through the grass for him to forage for. You could have a shallow tray of small, clean pebbles and sprinkle some food through for him to forage for. You could have a block of wood with various sized holes drilled into it and stuff anything from seeds to nutriberries into the holes. Yucca and balsa are both soft woods that you could shove seeds into. If he doesn't eat paper, you could make a foraging bowl with some crinkly paper (not shiny stuff, just regular crinkled paper), beads and other birdy safe items with food mixed in. Heck, foraging could be as simple as getting 5-6 small dishes and placing these around his cage at various heights and splitting his daily food inbetween these bowls!

If you want to try some training, I would recommend starting with target training and station training, then build up from there. This can help to keep his mind busy and engaged and can be a fun way to interact with him! Of course, you want to keep training sessions short, no more than 3-5 minutes in the beginning, and build on 'tricks'. It's better to have multiple short training sessions over one long one anyway! :)

To give you an idea.... here's an old video of someone training a *young* male cockatiel (5-6 months old?). Needs a little work in a couple of areas but it otherwise gives you some ideas on what you could work on once he knows how to target! :)

Biscuitpaw

Meeting neighbors
How long ago did he lose his friend? I wonder if this is still part of the problem. Birds mourn just like people do and I'm wondering if in a weird way he's still looking for him. His hormones do also seem out of control which could also be because of his age. I've never had a young tiel but I believe males go through a period of hormones around two. (Other tiel people, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.) My male tiel once went through a crazy hormonal period. I bought him something called Herb Salad (I got it My Safe Bird Store). The idea is birds pick through it and eat the herbs they need. It may have been a coincidence but my tiel calmed down 2-3 days after giving it to him. And I made it into a foraging game too. I put it in a small dish with some seeds, paper, etc that he could dig through. As for foraging toys, I know I've seen some small card board box toys that you can stuff. I'm drawing a blank right now which vendor carries them. You can also just take those finger trap toys and stuff them with crinkle paper and a few seeds. My tiels like those a lot.
I'm not sure exactly when, but when I took him in in January, his previous owner said his friend passed "recently". So it's been at least 4 months. I actually still have the number of his previous owner, so I'll shoot them a text and see if the reflection thing has been an issue beforehand.

I'll check out the Herb Salad stuff, but as for the foraging toys, do you think it would be safe to stuff some hay into a toilet paper tube and suspend that..? I have guinea pigs and I give them Oxbow orchard grass hay, Tango likes to nibble on it, as well as cardboard tubes.

I really wanna find something I could hide his actual pellets in (Tropican Lifetime Formula) so it could keep him busy throughout the day.

Biscuitpaw

Meeting neighbors
@Biscuitpaw thank you for thinking outside of the box in ways to try and help him! Sometimes the answer is caging the bird! This is especially true with an aggressive bird that is flying to attack people. The answer here isn't to keep taking the bird out of the cage, thus continually allowing the bird to attack someone... but rather, to cage them so they can't continue the behavior, then start working on *NEW* behaviors. Teach these desired behaviors through the cage bars before even considering allowing the bird OUT of the cage! There's a lot of people who are against this idea however... We need to set the bird (and ourselves) up for success, not allow the bird (and us) to continue failing. This is, of course, a temporary thing! Caging the bird.

Birds (and perhaps animals in general) that have no outlet for their energy (mental or physical) may find ways on their own to release that energy... which may include masturbation, increased hormones, increased chances of looking for a mate, a nesting place, etc. If he's obsessed with his reflection, he may not take to another bird very well. You could certainly try it, just be aware that another bird will not be his reflection... and it wont necessarily solve the issues you are having with him.

In regards to foraging.... you can either buy a small piece of fake grass or grow some real grass (bird seed, cat grass or otherwise) and then sprinkle food through the grass for him to forage for. You could have a shallow tray of small, clean pebbles and sprinkle some food through for him to forage for. You could have a block of wood with various sized holes drilled into it and stuff anything from seeds to nutriberries into the holes. Yucca and balsa are both soft woods that you could shove seeds into. If he doesn't eat paper, you could make a foraging bowl with some crinkly paper (not shiny stuff, just regular crinkled paper), beads and other birdy safe items with food mixed in. Heck, foraging could be as simple as getting 5-6 small dishes and placing these around his cage at various heights and splitting his daily food inbetween these bowls!

If you want to try some training, I would recommend starting with target training and station training, then build up from there. This can help to keep his mind busy and engaged and can be a fun way to interact with him! Of course, you want to keep training sessions short, no more than 3-5 minutes in the beginning, and build on 'tricks'. It's better to have multiple short training sessions over one long one anyway! :)

To give you an idea.... here's an old video of someone training a *young* male cockatiel (5-6 months old?). Needs a little work in a couple of areas but it otherwise gives you some ideas on what you could work on once he knows how to target! :)

Oh gosh, your words really helped bring me some relief, I was really starting to feel like a bird failure. I don't like keeping him in his cage, but I had no other way of controlling his behaviours :C The problem though, is that I'm not sure if I'm going about it the right way to fix his issues..?

The cat grass is a really great idea..! I've seen some for sale at our local pet store and wondered if it could be fun for him to chew on. Hiding food in there is GENIUS. I just hope he realizes that it's in there.. He also goes crazy for Nutriberries, if they weren't so expensive I'd have them be his main food source as opposed to the pellets, but for now they're just treats.

Training sounds like a good idea too, maybe down the road when I'm more comfortable letting him out of his cage..?

Biscuitpaw

Meeting neighbors
I'm not sure exactly when, but when I took him in in January, his previous owner said his friend passed "recently". So it's been at least 4 months. I actually still have the number of his previous owner, so I'll shoot them a text and see if the reflection thing has been an issue beforehand.

I'll check out the Herb Salad stuff, but as for the foraging toys, do you think it would be safe to stuff some hay into a toilet paper tube and suspend that..? I have guinea pigs and I give them Oxbow orchard grass hay, Tango likes to nibble on it, as well as cardboard tubes.

I really wanna find something I could hide his actual pellets in (Tropican Lifetime Formula) so it could keep him busy throughout the day.
UPDATE..!! His previous owner said that the reflection obsession only began once Peep (his buddy) passed away. They did not share a cage, Tango was very territorial, but he loved hanging out with his friend Peep and getting preened.

I'm starting to think maybe he just needs a companion, but we can't afford to have two birds, let alone buy another cage :( We might have to rehome him to someone who can have or has multiple birds.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
UPDATE..!! His previous owner said that the reflection obsession only began once Peep (his buddy) passed away. They did not share a cage, Tango was very territorial, but he loved hanging out with his friend Peep and getting preened.

I'm starting to think maybe he just needs a companion, but we can't afford to have two birds, let alone buy another cage :( We might have to rehome him to someone who can have or has multiple birds.
I wouldn't give up yet. He's young and the death is recent. I would give it some time. For both of your sakes. He may adjust or in the future you may able to get another bird- if that's what you want to do. As for toilet paper rolls- I'm always nervous about them because often toilet paper is scented, they've been in the bathroom, etc. But I do cut down paper towel rolls. You could do something with those. (Oh, and I have 2 males tiels right now who had lived their lives as only birds until they came to live with me. One is 21 and one is 30. So they don't always necessarily need another bird friend.)

Biscuitpaw

Meeting neighbors
I wouldn't give up yet. He's young and the death is recent. I would give it some time. For both of your sakes. He may adjust or in the future you may able to get another bird- if that's what you want to do. As for toilet paper rolls- I'm always nervous about them because often toilet paper is scented, they've been in the bathroom, etc. But I do cut down paper towel rolls. You could do something with those. (Oh, and I have 2 males tiels right now who had lived their lives as only birds until they came to live with me. One is 21 and one is 30. So they don't always necessarily need another bird friend.)
Good point, I'll stick to paper towel rolls.
Also his previous owner and I are currently looking into what we could do for him. They know a couple who deals with birds who have issues and will ask them as well. Honestly, I don't want to give up on Tango either, my husband and I have gotten really attached to him. We'll see how it goes though, in the end we want what's best for him.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
There are some small animal hay holders that you could get as well and stuff them for your tiel?

And training can start while the bird is *IN* the cage! This is what I mean, in short...

Be sure to feed him a varied diet! If you don't want to feed dry seeds, then please feed sprouted! Cockatiels do not do well on a pellet based diet, a 50/50 seed to pellet ratio is alright, along with fresh foods. :)

Biscuitpaw

Meeting neighbors
There are some small animal hay holders that you could get as well and stuff them for your tiel?

And training can start while the bird is *IN* the cage! This is what I mean, in short...

Be sure to feed him a varied diet! If you don't want to feed dry seeds, then please feed sprouted! Cockatiels do not do well on a pellet based diet, a 50/50 seed to pellet ratio is alright, along with fresh foods. :)
Thank you..! I'll keep an eye out for a little hay holder..~
The video is very helpful too..! It might have to wait until I can figure out what he's flirting with in his cage though, he's currently being very cage aggressive.

Would Nutriberries count for the 50/50 along with his pellets..?

Biscuitpaw

Meeting neighbors
So I just got back from the pet store with some cat grass and a water bottle (he can see himself in the water in his bowl), as well as some wooden perches (the kind with the slit at the ends) in case he's singing to the plastic holding the rope perches up..? I'll be sanding the plastic on those tomorrow so make them less shiny, since my husband has an abundance of sandpaper. No luck on the hay holder, but I'll stuff some in a paper towel roll for now :tup:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I can’t help but think he is excessively lonely from your original post but didn’t want to sound dismissive by just saying that which is why I asked about previous friends and tagged Monica - its not natural for them to be alone and some do better than others alone. Yours sounds to me like he desperately needs a proper friend who interacts unlike his reflection

Biscuitpaw

Meeting neighbors
I can’t help but think he is excessively lonely from your original post but didn’t want to sound dismissive by just saying that which is why I asked about previous friends and tagged Monica - its not natural for them to be alone and some do better than others alone. Yours sounds to me like he desperately needs a proper friend who interacts unlike his reflection
I mean it does seem like that's the case.. but @sunnysmom said that he might get better with time, so I felt hopeful I guess..?

Should I really be rehoming him then..? I'd like everyone's honest opinion.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Do you feel like he’d be better off with someone else?

This is the question I would ask myself.

Frankly, I think no. You seem like aa great birdie parent. He’s been through some changes, give him time.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I mean it does seem like that's the case.. but @sunnysmom said that he might get better with time, so I felt hopeful I guess..?

Should I really be rehoming him then..? I'd like everyone's honest opinion.
I think with the concern you have shown and the brainstorming you have done to better his life I am not so sure he could find a better person to take care of him to be honest. I just think he would be happier in your home with a birdie friend. Maybe given time he will change but in my mind he is clearly telling you he feels something is missing in his life..... they are flock animals and he has been used to a little flock in the past.

Biscuitpaw

Meeting neighbors
Honestly.. as much as I don't wanna say it, yes. I do feel like he would be better off somewhere else. I've hyped up his previous owner with how I'm handling his issues, I've hyped up myself for thinking that it's possible, but.. this doesn't feel fair for Tango.

Maybe it's just my depression getting the better of me, but I feel like no matter how hard I try, no matter how determined I am, if what he needs is another bird friend, I can't provide that for him and it would just be cruel of me to look at the situation with rose-tinted glasses and say to myself that he'll get better with time, just because I don't wanna let him go.
I don't feel like I could handle two birds, and my husband doesn't want more than one, he already needed convincing for me to get Tango in the first place. Maybe I shouldn't have pushed him and let his previous owner find someone who actually had other birds.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If you are feeling depressed or stressed then please take a lot of time (like double the amount you think you should take) to make your decision for what is best for you both. When we feel down or stressed we tend to find reasons much easier to back up our choices and then later when we are not feeling so overwhelmed we regret making such choices under those circumstances and in that frame of mind.

Have you played other birds for him on youtube to see how he responds?

Biscuitpaw

Meeting neighbors
If you are feeling depressed or stressed then please take a lot of time (like double the amount you think you should take) to make your decision for what is best for you both. When we feel down or stressed we tend to find reasons much easier to back up our choices and then later when we are not feeling so overwhelmed we regret making such choices under those circumstances and in that frame of mind.

Have you played other birds for him on youtube to see how he responds?
I appreciate it. It's been difficult because I've been constantly on the fence the past few weeks whether I've been doing the right thing or not, which is why I've been reaching out everywhere for help. Part of me thinks it'll be ok and gets reassured when people suggest what I've already been doing.

But if he really just desperately misses his friend that badly (and developed an unhealthy attachment to me because of it), wouldn't the best thing to do for him is give him up..? Maybe..? Or he would then miss me too/instead..?

I don't know. I could keep trying, he's been doing good some days, and the foraging and stuff might keep him busy and teach him independence..?

This is just a tricky situation in general and I wish I didn't have to make the decision myself, haha..

Edit: As for the youtube videos, I could give it a shot tomorrow when he's awake and let you guys know how he responds.