• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Red Rump/Grass parakeets—help with sexing?

Zygodactylous

Meeting neighbors
Hi! I adopted 2 red rump/grass parakeets from the local rescue, and they didn’t come with much background info. I’ve been reading as much as I can on them, but can’t seem to find out when this species gets full adult plumage and can be visually sexed. According to the rescue they are less than a year old (~10 mos now) and I think they are both females, one wild type and one fallow, but both have a little bit of red on the rump. 3-4 red feathers. Is this normal for females, or are they males in juvenile plumage? They are getting along OK so far. One is more bossy and sometimes bullies the other away from the food dish briefly, but they both get enough to eat and no fights that I’ve seen. They’re housed together in their own 36” wide flight cage. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Pics?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If they look like the originals (ones in the wild) then the females are fairly dull and the males are brightly coloured with the red rump.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
Congratulations, I love grass parakeets, they are sweet and some are just stunning

Zygodactylous

Meeting neighbors
Thanks! They’re both very camera shy but I was able to get these pictures of the fallow one (Lemon Meringue). The green one (Key Lime) wouldn’t let me get a picture from the back today, but maybe some day. I’m not sure what Lemon Meringue’s exact mutation is, so I am hoping someone can help me understand if the little bit of red on the back is normal for a female or if they might be a pied male or something. I know the pictures aren’t great but you can sort of see the few red feathers.

Attachments

Zygodactylous

Meeting neighbors
And just to be clear—since they are rescues they will not be used for breeding ever. I just want to understand them better and look into options for separate cages if they turn out to be both males. The cage they’re in has a removable divider just in case!

Last edited:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've no idea what they are, but love their names & their namesakes. Lemon Meringue & Key Lime. :awww: