• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

red raspberry tea

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
is it good for birds? what benefits does it have for them??

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't think it has anything beneficial for birds. Dr. Harrison, for awhile, made a product called "Re-Leaves" which was Raspberry leaves and stems and fruit squashed up. It was supposed the subdue the hormonal issues that birds go through. I tried one $20 container and there was no effect at - none.

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I don't think it has anything beneficial for birds. Dr. Harrison, for awhile, made a product called "Re-Leaves" which was Raspberry leaves and stems and fruit squashed up. It was supposed the subdue the hormonal issues that birds go through. I tried one $20 container and there was no effect at - none.
"Relieves" you of your money! Works a treat! :(

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
ok, I was asking because Dr. Tony said it might helps with Sweet Pea and her egg laying.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
My vet recommended it as well...not sure it works to be honest but they do enjoy it.

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

Do more reading!! It is exceptionally beneficial especially for the girls. Red raspberry leaf (fresh loose tea leaves) is one of the most naturally occurring, most absorbable sources of calcium for one ;) It helps females of all creations - feathered and human included - for female reproduction system. Many raptor sanctuaries use red raspberry leaf to treat and prevent egg binding, and even with prolapse because it helps the female system to heal itself.

You can purchase teas specific for parrots that can be quite pricey, for personal and the shelter, I purchase loose red raspberry from Vitacost. It is a pound, so a crapload of tea leaf, but if you go in with some friends or donate to a shelter, etc. When I order a bag, I split it up and use the vac sealer for longer storage, but keep it dry and dark. If you go to buy loose tea and it is in a clear plastic bag, pass on it. Light greatly affects tea, always buy tea that is in foil bags or any container that light cannot penetrate.

I'm a huge tea fan outside of just the birds... living with chronic health crap, I am a believer in ancient medicine as well as modern, they mix together well!!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
The only teas that should be given to parrots are teas that are formulated for birds ..ones from Greywood Manor Greywood Manor Tea & Provisions, Animals, Tea, Herbal ...I use them daily ..there are several kinds for several different issues ..they were formulated by Dr. Jason Crean specially for birds as well as other animals :)

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
The only teas that should be given to parrots are teas that are formulated for birds ..ones from Greywood Manor Greywood Manor Tea & Provisions, Animals, Tea, Herbal ...I use them daily ..there are several kinds for several different issues ..they were formulated by Dr. Jason Crean specially for birds as well as other animals :)

No you should not use tea bags or such, but fresh red raspberry leaf is not prepared or formulated, its an all natural botanical....

I live with serious health conditions, I am not a crazy GMO person, but below is the link to red raspberry leaf... its literally red raspberry leaf... its not processed or formulated, mixed in with something else and being sold for profit by various company, Teaks is one of the originals. Its pure and untreated botanical - much like using your dehydrator and having dried fruit or veggie. Its extreme to say you can only purchase something sold by a company selling a produced or mix product for parrots. Great as a suggestion, much like Teaks, but for pure product, red raspberry again is a natural botanical.

I am very familiar with Jason, actually friends with him on facebook as well as part of his Avian Raw group... What he has formulated for Greywood are TEA mixes... adding red raspberry leaf, which technically is not a tea, it is a botanical, is perfectly safe and healthy. It is a single botanical source of nutrition....

Again here is the link... Starwest Botanicals Organic Red Raspberry Leaf Cut and Sifted -- 1 lb - Vitacost

I also get chamomile blossoms and red clover blossoms from Vitacost for the birds. Again, just to be clear - these are botanicals, not tea like I'm thirsty and let's have a cup of hot tea :)

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
So @Jenphilly do you just give them the dried leaves? Do you use other botanicals for other issues?

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
No you should not use tea bags or such, but fresh red raspberry leaf is not prepared or formulated, its an all natural botanical....

I live with serious health conditions, I am not a crazy GMO person, but below is the link to red raspberry leaf... its literally red raspberry leaf... its not processed or formulated, mixed in with something else and being sold for profit by various company, Teaks is one of the originals. Its pure and untreated botanical - much like using your dehydrator and having dried fruit or veggie. Its extreme to say you can only purchase something sold by a company selling a produced or mix product for profit. Great as a suggestion, much like Teaks, but for pure product, red raspberry again is a natural botanical.

I am very familiar with Jason, actually friends with him on facebook as well as part of his Avian Raw group... What he has formulated for Greywood are TEA mixes... adding red raspberry leaf, which technically is not a tea, it is a

So @Jenphilly do you just give them the dried leaves? Do you use other botanicals for other issues?

I use red clover and chamomile for pluckers. And just chamomile for a high stressed or super nervous bird.

You can sprinkle bits of the leaves / blossoms on top of food, many birds like to munch on the blossoms (literally just like they might find growing in nature) or if you have a bird who likes to make their own soup in their bowl, you can add them to their water for 'tea'. I also put them thru the nutribullet and add them to birdie breads and treats.

Those are the only 3 I personally use... outside of things like dried alfalfa stems and leaves which I also add to Max's green crackers (posted a recipe here a while ago).

Some of the 'tea' blends have other botanicals and herbs that I'm less inclined to give my birds, the one that pops in my head is St John's Wort, but its all in the personal choice. While my female BE2 will benefit from red raspberry (much like all girls even us two legged ones), she isn't a hormone nightmare behavior wise, so I would not give her something that might have red raspberry but have other natural elements that she may not need like St Johns Wort.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson

I live with serious health conditions, I am not a crazy GMO person, but below is the link to red raspberry leaf... its literally red raspberry leaf... its not processed or formulated, mixed in with something else and being sold for profit by various company, Teaks is one of the originals. Its pure and untreated botanical - much like using your dehydrator and having dried fruit or veggie. Its extreme to say you can only purchase something sold by a company selling a produced or mix product for parrots. Great as a suggestion, much like Teaks, but for pure product, red raspberry again is a natural botanical.

I am very familiar with Jason, actually friends with him on facebook as well as part of his Avian Raw group... What he has formulated for Greywood are TEA mixes... adding red raspberry leaf, which technically is not a tea, it is a botanical, is perfectly safe and healthy. It is a single botanical source of nutrition....

Again here is the link... Starwest Botanicals Organic Red Raspberry Leaf Cut and Sifted -- 1 lb - Vitacost

I also get chamomile blossoms and red clover blossoms from Vitacost for the birds. Again, just to be clear - these are botanicals, not tea like I'm thirsty and let's have a cup of hot tea :)
The teas Jason made are not in tea bags they are free leaf teas ...he made them for parrots Im not understanding why you think they would be in bags ...they are GMO free ...and his TEAS are very safe and healthy for Parrots as well as other animals ...I am also friends with him on facebook and on his whole raw food facebook page ..just giving another option :)

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
The teas Jason made are not in tea bags they are free leaf teas ...he made them for parrots Im not understanding why you think they would be in bags ...they are GMO free ...and his TEAS are very safe and healthy for Parrots as well as other animals ...I am also friends with him on facebook and on his whole raw food facebook page ..just giving another option :)

I know they are not and really giggled at that.. my point was to be sure when the term TEA is used, including Jason's, its not really tea as one thinks tea and teabags. Reality, tho Teaks and Greywood use the term 'tea', those mixes are actually botanical preparations - more herbal. But tea is the common word all of us think for putting dried whatever in a cup, adding water and that's what the brew is.

Options are awesome, but with everything we give our feathered family members, do your own research and be comfortable that what is going into their bowls and beaks, you know every single element. I personally am one to use only what is needed, but again I have a different outlook on supplements, herbs / botanicals etc due to my life experience and all the research I do for my own health.

Awesome to throw Jason's name out, we have a huge respect for his work and I even reached out to him to confirm about the alfalfa for Max's green crackers. Living with parrots is a never ending education and learning journey for all of us!

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

I know they are not and really giggled at that.. my point was to be sure when the term TEA is used, including Jason's, its not really tea as one thinks tea and teabags. Reality, tho Teaks and Greywood use the term 'tea', those mixes are actually botanical preparations - more herbal. But tea is the common word all of us think for putting dried whatever in a cup, adding water and that's what the brew is.

Options are awesome, but with everything we give our feathered family members, do your own research and be comfortable that what is going into their bowls and beaks, you know every single element. I personally am one to use only what is needed, but again I have a different outlook on supplements, herbs / botanicals etc due to my life experience and all the research I do for my own health.

Awesome to throw Jason's name out, we have a huge respect for his work and I even reached out to him to confirm about the alfalfa for Max's green crackers. Living with parrots is a never ending education and learning journey for all of us!

Sorry typed that on my phone... did not include my point was I did not want ANYONE thinking it was safe in any manner to use tea from teabags, I never said Jason's were in bags... and again, they are not really tea either :) the irony of this whole conversation!

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

he labeled it wrong... red raspberry doesn't do anything for hormones... it helps with calcium, egg binding and more that kinda reproductive issues. Its definitely not a hormonal treatment.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Jen what a wealth of information you are.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
ok, I can't find the version that Dr. tony recommend darn it. Heath and Heather Red Raspberry tea. he suggested making super concentrate 1 cup of boiling water to 3 tablespoons of loose leaf, let steep 1/2 hour, strain and chill. add 5 to 8 ml to her water daily for 3 weeks, then reduce to 3 ml daily for 2 weeks. until I can find the tea, I'm out of luck. Anybody have any other suggestions ???

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
ok, I can't find the version that Dr. tony recommend darn it. Heath and Heather Red Raspberry tea. he suggested making super concentrate 1 cup of boiling water to 3 tablespoons of loose leaf, let steep 1/2 hour, strain and chill. add 5 to 8 ml to her water daily for 3 weeks, then reduce to 3 ml daily for 2 weeks. until I can find the tea, I'm out of luck. Anybody have any other suggestions ???

Red raspberry leaf is the pure botanical 'tea', I know the bag from vitacost.com is large but I have had it myself too :)

Are you looking for just calcium and egg issue support? If so the vitacost.com is where I trust for personal and shelter.

If you need egg and hormone support the Dr Jason Crean's mixes he created for Greywood Manor is an option or Tea for Beaks.

Only caution, if you use a mix with St Johns Wort, it can cause hypersensitivity to sun. Studies are human and small animals, so effects are not scientifically or medically documented in birds. Just be aware, its safe with precautions and if you're in winter cold area may not be an issue right now.

Again, just do your own personal reading. If you need the benefits, minor precautions are worth the effort.

Good luck and sorry if typos, on my phone!

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

Forgot.. if you are for pure dried botanical red raspberry in small quantities, vendors on etsy. I've had to get red clover blossoms there when vitacost.com was out. Just check feedback, be sure it's a quality source.

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

Is this what he suggested. It's a processed 'tea'.. did he suggest processed / bagged or loose leaf?

Heath & Heather Raspberry Leaf Tea 50 Bags