• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Red Belly or Senegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tater

Meeting neighbors
Im looking at both of these birds, im not sure which one is a better companion. Im looking for a quieter bird that is sweet and loves being with people. So im going to leave this topic up to you guys, which is better.

Red-Belly or Senegal

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I have a Red Belly but haven't ever been around a Senegal though. But my Red Belly is not very loud at all, the only thing is she's only sweet to my husband and sometimes other men.
Good Luck in making your choice.

Tater

Meeting neighbors
Thanks one of these is really what ive been wanting lol ive just never heard of them. I almost brought a senegal home last night from petland it was so sweet :}

The Cozy Nestbox

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
If you are interested in a poi, you may want to check out a Meyers. They make wonderful pets and IME, are generally more mellow overall than Senegals. I have no experience with Red Bellies.

Tater

Meeting neighbors
what is IME? sorry still getting used to all of this :p

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I have a Senegal and he is a real sweetie.....to me. I am HIS person, lol. As for loudness, I'm not sure what you consider loud. All my guys get loud at times, but it doesn't bother me at all. My Sennie is very playful and loving. He is also quite the little acrobat, he loves to swing, hang upside down and do little spin dances. He also plays 'dead bird', lol. I don't have any experience with the red bellies, but from what I hear they are wonderful companions. Good luck with your decision.

Lotsa Birds

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sandy
I don't have much experience with Senegals, have just met a few at the rescue where I work. I do have a female red belly, just a baby though. So far my RB is very sweet, loves to be held and a velcro bird. She isn't loud, and quite entertaining. She loves to hang on everything, play with toys and is always flopping upside down. She lays like that in my hand, her food dishes, or on the bottom of her cage. She is a little clown. Good luck in your choice.
Sandy

jaimeltx

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jaime
I have a 9 month old Red Bellied, in the middle of the big molt and is looking to be a female. She is really feisty, but not mean at all. She doesn't want to be held much, love head scratches, showers and treats. She is very playful and hangs upside down attacking her toys all day long. She already says 5 or 6 things and talks up a storm when I'm eating or leave the room. She becomes a little hostile around strangers or people she only sees occasionally. She will let them feed her treats and sometimes scratch her head, but she has been rather difficult to socialize.

I also have experience with a Nanday conure who is the sweetest bird ever and has never threatened to even pinch ant person (even strangers) and also a parrotlet. I feel like my red bellied is more similar to my parrotlet.

Also, I decided on a poi because of the lower noise levels. However they are NOT quiet. Mine is non-stop chatter with a few spurts of screaming. But compared to my conure, she is a mute,

To sum of that long-winded answer, I love my red-bellied. She is pure entertainment and has a very distinct personality and attitude. She also fits in nicely with my very busy schedule--I've kept my webcam on occasionally while I'm at work and she completely entertains herself--going from toy-to-toy. (Hint: get the biggest cage you can and fill it up with lots of toys and your red belly will use every square inch--mine is 32x23x30 inside (60 outside)).

Last edited:

tracieerin

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tracie
It's all in your socialization. Make sure you hand that bird to everyone who comes over for treats, pets and fun. If you leave off even a week, it can become a one person bird.

The red belly will likely be more clownish than the senegal. The meyers' and brownheads' are considered the sweetest of the poicephalus.

I have one of those cages. It is big enough, but there are not enough horizontal bars on it, so it's harder for the bird to climb around and the bird ends up getting less exercise. I wish it had feeder doors too.

I also have one of these and like it a LOT better: Aviantelligence Dome Shaped Bird Cage - Bird.com. Lots of horizontal bars, feeder doors, removable seed skirts, and the dome top looks a little nicer in the house.

Warning: keep the dome top closed and locked at all times, birds have gotten them closed on their necks :(

tracieerin

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tracie
BTW I am not advocating a RB over a senegal.. I have and love both. My RB is fiestier and more clownish and my senegal is a sensitive little sweetie.

I am just trying to give you what seems to be the consensus of the pois based on owners and breeders, which rings true with my own limited experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.