• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Recipes for Chia Seeds Please

Aviphile

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
DeeDee
I have tried making Chia seeds that I bought but no one likes them, not even me. I've tried adding them to things but they just don't eat them. I sprinkle them on top of the bread that I make them but I am not even sure that they eat them then. Does anyone have a recipe using Chia seeds that their bird will actually eat? If so please share. I thought about grinding them up to make chia seed flour but the thought of grinding 2 bags of chia seeds with a mortar and pestle is not appealing to me.

Chia Seeds.JPG

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Make chia eggs
Never feed chia without soaking or grinding it up. It can cause intestinal blockages. I've ground it up in blender dry and keep it in the freezer up to 6 months.

Aviphile

Real Name
DeeDee
Make chia eggs
Never feed chia without soaking or grinding it up. It can cause intestinal blockages. I've ground it up in blender dry and keep it in the freezer up to 6 months.
I have a vitamix, think that will work? Maybe I'll just throw them away! They wouldn't eat them soaked or any other way that I have tried, I don't like them either. I didn't like the sticky slimy feel from them.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I soak them and use them as an egg replacement in breads :)

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I've had chocolate chia pudding, it was good. Thick creamy

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I have a vitamix, think that will work? Maybe I'll just throw them away! They wouldn't eat them soaked or any other way that I have tried, I don't like them either. I didn't like the sticky slimy feel from them.
Any blender would work just make sure it's dry blend. Any moisture will cause clumping.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I use them in my own milkshakes and smoothies, I make smoothies for Burt sometimes and mix them through, I have also mixed them through quinoa and rice that I have made for the birds.

Aviphile

Real Name
DeeDee
I use them in my own milkshakes and smoothies, I make smoothies for Burt sometimes and mix them through, I have also mixed them through quinoa and rice that I have made for the birds.
Thank you everybody for your ideas but I threw them in the trash! I tried the pudding, NOPE! I do not like the texture. I don't drink milkshakes or smoothies, I don't care much for ice cream and I like my fruit fresh. I love quinoa, we eat it on a regular sure hate to mess it up! Plain rice we don't eat but I buy a blend we like a lot.
rice.JPG