• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Really sick budgie

Alisia

Moving in
Real Name
Alisia
Hi i am new to this app because i really need some advice about my sick budgie. I have to budgies which are around 8 months old. I had to take them to the vet around two weeks ago and the were prescribed medicatipn for a respiratory infection. The vet then advised that i wait and see what comes next after the medication was over. Both have been very active and playful but the female had a few irregular droppings. This morning i woke up to fond the female was at the bottom of the cage and a fece stuck on her bottom feathers. She has since been very lathargic, unactive, not eating, fluffed up feathers and tail bobbing. The amoount of liquid droppings has no increased from one every two days to only watery droppings today. There is also undigested food in her droppings. I have texed the avian vet but im awaiting a reply. Do you have any suggestions of what i can do please. I also am giving them probiotics.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hi Alisia,

Would you be able to call the vet rather than text? You may get a quicker response.

For now, clean up her feathers with just water, keep the room quite quiet and calm, You could cover one side of her cage so she can rest until you can get to the vet. I hope she will be ok!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Good suggestion. Do you usually text your vet? Were symptoms of respiratory infection present? Sounds more GI issues. Ask the vet to do a gram stain of the crop. If you want add Apple cider vinegar to the drinking water for a week each month. Mix Braggs unfiltered venegar 2 tsp to 1 quart of water and keep refrigerated until gone. Not a cure but it helps the digestion.