• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Really active lovebird!

Peachy-Gizmo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emma Freeman
Pip is currently going through this phase, we have purchased a 'time-out cage' it's just a small cage with two perches but no food or water. If Pip does something we want to discourage persistently, such as biting, we shut her in the time-out cage and let her out after 5 minutes. we have had the cage for a week now and it is beginning to make a difference, Pip is less nippy, the first few days we had the cage she was in there quite regularly but this is no longer necessary. I don't like using the actual cage as a punishment zone because it is her home and should be viewed in a positive light; I also saw a suggestion which used the hospital box as a punishment zone but rejected this as well, my late peach-faced lovebird loved going for short walks in his hospital box, I want to start training Pip to go in hers so that she will get in willingly if we have to take her out in it for any reason. You should try to avoid raising your voice to the bird, I know it's hard but lovebirds love to get a reaction from you and if you raise your voice you are actually reinforcing the behavior, something I doubt you want :p. I would recommend maybe trying a time-out cage but also try rewarding your bird for any time it spends with you, without biting you; for example, I talk to Pip and tell her what a good/ pretty/ special bird she is, it's basically nonsense, it mostly depends on your tone; you'll know when you've got it because lovebirds have this way of looking at you like they're hanging on your words. I know how hard this phase is but it's well worth the time effort (and blood :lol: ). One last note, some birds don't like to learn to learn tricks. Gizmo was very studious and learned ridiculously fast, I have had Pip three months now and she only does a couple of tricks, she's impatient and doesn't like to sit still. Individual birds have unique personalities so your bird may just not be interested in learning tricks but it's something you can always come back to at a later date, perhaps when the bird has gone through puberty and is more calm. Hope that helps.

Muz

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Muz
Punishing birds does NOT work, you have to solve the problem itself, it's really not like training a dog.