• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Really active lovebird!

HermanNg

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Herman Ng
Hello, I have a lovebird who is 9 weeks old(don't know if I should be using months now) and he would fly and cling on to my shirt the moment I walk away from him. He loves to roam around on my shoulder and back and would not come down. I use this fact to train him flight recall but it turns out I don't have to call him. Will he ever settle down and just calm down? :(

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Lovebirds are active little birds, I wouldn't see it as something bad. An energetic bird is a happy one, and you'll be able to tell when he's sick just because his activity level.
Does he get enough time out of the cage? Is he flighted?
It appears to me that he is also quite young so I think it's normal that he's clingy. Although if you're his only flock mate you can expect him to always be clingy no matter the age..

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
he is still pretty young but I would say he might calm down..though ovebirds are pretty active..do you have lots of toys etc for him @bubblelady

cupoftea

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anna
He should have a flight cage full of toys. I don't think your lovie will be any less active for awhile... in fact he will most likely get even more active. My lovie was barely active at 9 weeks compared to how active he is now.

As for the clingy thing, he will probably get less clingy in time. My Zazu was definitely very clingy at 9 weeks old. He still is now but to a lesser extent. He does occupy himself, but if I leave the room he will immediately follow.

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Based on 4 different lovebirds over a 20+ year period I think of lovebirds as the energizer bunnies of the avian world. In the words of my CAV, as I was leaving his clinic after my first lovies's very first well bird check up, "Remember, he is a perpetual 2-year-old." Which is why I love them so much. Two of mine have been Velcro birds. One was a feathered piranha who wanted to be on my person much of the time, with the sole purpose of drawing blood. My current lovie is trying to make up his mind. He follows me from room to room, answers me when I call his name, and lands on my legs when I'm in my recliner--as long as I keep my hands away--but takes off the second I move. He flys around a lot and LOVES his toys. He also runs around on top of his cage and the canary's cage, apparently just for the joy of running. Like an over wound wind up toy. I'm still hoping he will eventually decide I'm not really dangerous. He is just so darn cute. He's about 20 months old. I got him as a totally unsocialized 8 month old. I do love the lovies!

HermanNg

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Herman Ng
I play with him about an hour a day and he has a colorful blocks toy three bells. He also has a clingy cotton rope toy with bells which my mum handmade herself. He doesn't seem interested at all to learn tricks. Is he too young?

HermanNg

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Herman Ng
I really wish to teach hm some simple tricks like waving and spreading out wings. Is there aapropriate age for this? Btw, what king of treats do you offer your lovies when there successfully complete a trick or task?

Peachy-Gizmo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emma Freeman
I always start with 'turn around' because it is really simple and doesn't take the bird out of his/her comfort zone. I have a video of me teaching Pip, our (then) eight week old lovebird, she picked it up almost immediately. Basically, you will need a training perch if you don't already have one, somewhere neutral for you to train your bird. You move your finger around the bird and say 'turn around'. You should reward every time the bird follows your finger, repeat lots of times, then try it without guiding the bird with your finger, it is very unlikely that the bird will get it straight away, don't give up, just repeat with the guidance of your finger a couple more times, then try again. and keep going until the bird gets it. I have found this kind of approach to be the one that works best for me. waving and wing flapping come later but if you would like to know my methods I taught both of these to Gizmo as well as others but it's always best to start with basics: step up, turn around, recalls etc. Millet is a good bet but you shouldn't give too generously as it is so fattening.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
My lovebirds are wild all the time and love flying around and landing on shoulders. It just makes them happy lol.

I have a 1yr old and a 10yr old lovie and there isn't much energy difference in the two. They just have hyper crazy in your face personalities

HermanNg

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Herman Ng
Oh but he about 10 seconds to finish a small piece of millet and I'm afraid he might get too carried away eating forget what he is learning. Also, he seems interested in getting on me than eating his favourite food even when he hungry. Is that supposed to be a good thing?

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Millet is like crack to my guys. They lose their minds when they see it and will force themselves to eat every last piece.

HermanNg

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Herman Ng
Oh he will try to get millet in his beak but when I walk away he would take off towards me with the piece of millet in his beak.

HermanNg

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Herman Ng
Most of the time I hold a small seed between my thumb and try to make him do tricks but he tries to bite me so hard that have no choice to let go of the seed and bring the seed away so he has won't take it. I swear I'm not flinching or pulling away or making any noise at all when he bites me even if the pain is incontrollable. I'm kind of used to it but he seems to not get it that however hard I bite I won't give him the seed but he doesn't seem to get that and keep at it!

ddy13

Walking the driveway
Most of the time I hold a small seed between my thumb and try to make him do tricks but he tries to bite me so hard that have no choice to let go of the seed and bring the seed away so he has won't take it. I swear I'm not flinching or pulling away or making any noise at all when he bites me even if the pain is incontrollable. I'm kind of used to it but he seems to not get it that however hard I bite I won't give him the seed but he doesn't seem to get that and keep at it!
Yes millet is the preferred seed and as far as biting goes I would still say no, to love birds finger bitting and toe bitting is there way , My first love bird had a thing for going after fingers now he stops himself looks and wants to bite but does not as long as I do not push it. I keep my fingers away. The beak is the only defense and weapon. They like prise so when good let them know. He gets out a lot more than the others , they wonder how and why and will race to see what he is doing.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
...try to make him do tricks but he tries to bite me so hard that have no choice to let go of the seed....

This

I swear I'm not flinching or pulling away or making any noise at all when he bites me even if the pain is incontrollable

And this contradict each other......

If you aren't reacting at all then what is letting go of the seed.

I personally do not trick train my lovebirds, I've never tried BUT when they want something I do know they get VERY frustrated VERY quickly if they can't figure it out. To me it sounds like you're making things too complicated. Try changing it up and do something different. At this point it seems the bird knows that if it bites hard enough you'll give it the treat, which does not sound like a very fun "trick" for her to learn.

HermanNg

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Herman Ng
My family just planned a holiday For 4 days and three nights. What should I do before and after the trip to make sure he doesn't go bored? I currently have 3 perches 1 ladder connecting 2 of the perches and a DIY box for sleeping and 2 toys one which is handmade both have bells. Is it enough?

cupoftea

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anna
I would say buy one or two shredding toys. My lovebird loves shredding toys. You can find them at different pet stores. I'm just going to post this link to show you examples of what I mean by shreddable toys: SHREDDABLE TOYS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE

Also, is there anyone coming over to give her fresh food and water?

ddy13

Walking the driveway
I would be worried about keeping enough seed and the water clean. An on an off light and music would help. It all depends how close you are to them. I have had to sneak mind in to the hotel. Cant do that with all anymore just two. They will be upset more with the changes than bored and will scream.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
You will need someone to come at least give them fresh water. Adding extra bowls of food should help with getting them through the whole time but my lovies make huge messes in their water as soon as they get the chance.