• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Real or fake Christmas tree

DerpsyDaisy

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amber
Hi. I've never had a Christmas tree and I'm not sure how my birds will react to it. I don't know if they'll want to climb all over it or be scared of it and avoid it. I was wondering if a fake tree or real tree would be safer. I found a local tree farm that doesn't seem to have sprayed their trees for a while. Is there actually such a thing as a safe tree? And even if I found it is there a way to decorate it safely? It's probably best just to keep them out of it isn't it but I know them and if I tell them no they just try harder.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I've had both live trees and now we have a fake one since our kids are all adult. When we had the live ones only a couple of tiels showed interest, especially Indie who made a point of sitting at the top as close to the star as she could get. Will have to look for pix.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not sure about your question. It didn't occur to me that they might spray them. :( And artificial certainly shouldn't be chewed on. I would keep birds away, but that might be a big problem for our friends with free range birdies.

Unbelievably I'm allergic to Christmas trees. My parents always had an artificial tree. Then many years ago my husband and I married and bought my first live tree! I had a terrible headache and itchies for a few days till I realized it was the tree. :( We've had an artificial since then. Last year I bought one of those branchy trees with white lights, no leaves. I gave away all my ornaments (boxed up a few sentimental ones) and only kept the ornaments that are birds! People have been buying me bird ornaments for many years so I have quite the collection. I'll take a picture when it's done this year. I also used the tree for Valentine's Day and Easter with purchased and handmade ornaments. I think it's super cute. Gigi hasn't seen it yet. I don't think she will care. It's not a big imposing tree like some people will have. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've honestly never had a bird interested in the tree! We do artificial as it seems so wasteful to let a tree grow for a decade and then cut it down so it can slowly die inside our house. That's just personally; my mom does live trees every year and I'm not guilting her lol

D

Deleted member 29421

I cant have a tree of any kind, inside. My cats think its a giant cat toy and go crazy at night climbing it and knocking bulbs off of it. So no more trees for us.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Loved them!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
The only birds ever "interested" in our Christmas trees...Milton-who would flinch when the lights started to blink (he still does once in awhile)..and Mylec, our Brown Throat Conure...he'd fly over and hide in the tree...then he'd wait until my wife (no one else) would come by...then out he'd pop to try to bite her...

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Some fun trees for pets that I stole from FB:

Pine blocks with a dowel rod through the center

And a couple of cute cardboard trees

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I have fake one, little 3ft high tree. But I've given up, putting whole darn thing together, only to take it down in less then month. Rocky was always pretty good about staying away from it. He did get into once and tipped it over. Scared him pretty badly, scared me worse.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
The biggest problem we had w/any type of tree was with our geriatric cat, KitKat. She'd eat the tinsel and we'd have the fun job of either pulling it out of her mouth or ( worse yet) out of her other end.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
my dad used to sell Christmas trees so I always had a real one now that I'm older for my life I can't get the tree in straight always leans to the side if someone didn't know better they would think that I had one too many so now in my senior years it's artificial. they are pretty but don't have the smell of a real one