• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Raw Sorghum Flour/ Raw Amaranth/ Raw Millet to my parrot food prep to soak up the moisture

Parrotopia

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi Everyone

This is my first post and Im having a bit of difficulty navigating the forum. Please forgive me if I post in the wrong section, Ill gladly follow constructive advise on becoming more efficient on the form ;)

I wanted to find out, I have two Blue Fronted Amazons and Two African Greys.

I had to start working full time while studying for a degree in science doing research meaning I cannot prepare fresh meals daily for my birds like I used to (this is temporary, because if my research is done I can go back to prepare fresh meals again).

On weekends I still make my birds a fresh mix of veggies and fruits and pulses :)

I wanted to find out, here in South Africa we get Raw (safe for human consumption) Amaranth, Hulled Millet (white) and red sorghum flour/meal.

Can I mix raw Amaranth/raw Sorghum/ raw Hulled white millet, into their chop mixes that I freeze as a means to help soak up the moisture when I defrost their chop, or are these items unsafe to give to your birds raw ?

I used raw steel cut oats to mix into the chop mixture I freeze, to soak up the excess moisture - which worked quite well and they like it - but I just wanted to give my birds a variety other than oats with their chop mixes.

I used to mix in flax seeds and chia seeds which worked very well, but since these seeds are very high in fat and the birds will get a chop mix five times a week, I feel its a bit unhealthy (concerned about fatty liver disease and obseity).

Can anyone give advice on what RAW (moisture absorbing) grains I can use as a means to soak up the excess liquid when defrosting their chop mixtures.

Please note that I cannot cook these items since then they will already have moisture making them useless to use for soaking up the excess moisture when defrosting my chop for my birds.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I do use raw grains or oats to soak up moisture in chop. However, you'll want to add it after it's thawed, not before you freeze it :)

As for your choices, amaranth should not be given raw; it can block nutrient absorption so I would not use that. And Sorghum can also be toxic when wet and raw, so that would not be a good choice either. Millet, however, is safe, as would be rice if you have access to that.

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
I personally have used millet, flax seeds (ground), quinoa, barley flakes and chia seeds. I know they're not all grains, but hopefully it helps, I've also used some of the dried herb salad type mixes that are sold for parrots.

Parrotopia

I personally have used millet, flax seeds (ground), quinoa, barley flakes and chia seeds. I know they're not all grains, but hopefully it helps, I've also used some of the dried herb salad type mixes that are sold for parrots.
I also used flax and quinoa, but I was concerned about the high fat content of these. But the raw rolled barley is also a great suggestion as I have access to that. Thank You.

Parrotopia

I do use raw grains or oats to soak up moisture in chop. However, you'll want to add it after it's thawed, not before you freeze it :)

As for your choices, amaranth should not be given raw; it can block nutrient absorption so I would not use that. And Sorghum can also be toxic when wet and raw, so that would not be a good choice either. Millet, however, is safe, as would be rice if you have access to that.
Thank You so much for the great advice, i never knew rice could be used raw to soak up the liquid. I actually cook some millet for my birdies, and always keep a sealed raw pack in the fridge, Im going to try that as well, thanks a million.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oats, dry egg food, bread crumbs

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
I also used flax and quinoa, but I was concerned about the high fat content of these. But the raw rolled barley is also a great suggestion as I have access to that. Thank You.
You're very welcome! Flax and quinoa are wonderful sources of good fats (also hemp and pumpkin seeds). Fats sometimes get a bad "rap" but that's only when they are the primary source of their diet. Too few fats can also cause problems since they are needed to help absorb some vitamins into the body and are especially important for birds that pluck.

Baby Bird

Does anyone know if cooked sorghum is safe?? I didn’t know about the cyanide in sorghum seeds and occasionally feed my gcc cooked sorghum.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Does anyone know if cooked sorghum is safe?? I didn’t know about the cyanide in sorghum seeds and occasionally feed my gcc cooked sorghum.
Hopefully @Mizzely (or another experienced member) will know for sure.

soundsfun

Walking the driveway

Thanks for that tip re amaranth @Mizzely. Any suggestions for cooking the amaranth grains to serve to birds?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thanks for that tip re amaranth @Mizzely. Any suggestions for cooking the amaranth grains to serve to birds?
I picked some that grew in our yard, haven’t tried it yet but I did read that cooking it is pretty much the same as cooking rice.