• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rate of Linnie Feather Growth

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
As most of you know my two Linnies have clipped wings. Tango came to me with 5 flights clipped so I have not seen her fly. A little while after she arrived I had Kobe's wings clipped because he was frightening Tango flying all around. I admit that was a mistake because for almost 4 months now they have not been able to fly. Each morning I look for the clipped feathers that have fallen. Kobe has grown out all but two on each side so he is able to fly a very short distance again. Tango is showing no indications of molting out the clipped flights yet. She was clipped before Kobe was by about 2 to 3 weeks. This leaves me wondering why such a different rate of feather growth between the two birds of same species. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

wyrinth

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
birds all molt in their own time. My canaries and linnies all start molting at the same time period (late August, early September) but not all the individuals are coordinated. Two canaries have started molting heavily, the third started slowly. Stitch (linnie) started molting a couple of weeks before Pikachu and now the two babies I kept started molting. Stitch has lost part of his tail, but no primaries yet.

Maria_C

Moving in
This is an interesting question. I feel like our linnie is always getting hers in a few months after.
We try to keep them somewhat clipped because one time she got excited and flew into a wall...... :)
One important consideration is the actual feather itself. I find that our linnie can fly a good distance when her outer primary feather is fully in, even if her other primaries aren't.
To be honest, like @wyrinth says, I think molting in birds must be particular to each bird. Our linnie seems to grow feathers out all the time....
I'd say that she should start growing them in in at most 6 months. The first couple of molts are slower, I find.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Right now my male Kobe has been flying for 3 weeks and he was clipped 2 weeks before my female. She still is showing no signs of flight feather growth. I beginning to wonder if something is wrong! I e mailed the breeder but no response yet. I will never clip either one of them again. Did not want the breeder to do it but she went ahead and did it anyway.

Joelle

Walking the driveway
My Linnie Aura lost all his feathers in a night fright and they grew back within a month and a half. He was flying as soon as they did.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Wow that is very fast. I started Featheriffic yesterday so we will see what happens.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Had a celebration here last night. I found one of Tangos cut flight feathers on the cage floor. "Its about time"!