• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Raccoon Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myfeathers

Moving in
Ok, so its been a while since I've posted anything because I mainly just check in and see what everyone else is writing. So last Wednesday night I woke up in the middle of the night to my poor Bob screaming like a baby! I woke up and ran outside only to find a raccoon broke into our supposed secure patio and attacked him. fortunately I got to him just in time before he penetrated his air sack where his internal organs are. Unfortunately he was gashed all the way down to his breast plate and bleeding all over me. I'm lucky enough to have one of the best avian doctors around just down the road from named Theresa Lightfoot, so we were off to the emergency room at 1:30 am. They stabilized and put him on antibiotics and I was told he may not make it through the night :cry:! I was told there was nothing I could do anymore and was told I should just go home and wait by the phone for Dr. Lightfoot to call me in the morning. They said no news was good news in this case. It felt like forever before she finally called around 10:00 am and told me that he was doing better than she expected and she was going to put him into surgery at around 4:00 pm to check and make sure the air-sack wasn't punctured and to get some better X-rays of his wings to look for fractures. Talk about the longest day of my life! I think I was pacing all day and couldn't sit still. 6:00 pm rolls around and Dr. Lightfoot finally called me and said he was ONE LUCKY BIRD! No punctures in his air-sack, but he had tons off punctures wounds on him from the canines of the coon that even though didn't warrant stitches was a cause for real concern over the next few days. Bob didn't eat at all until Thursday night I went over to the Hospital to visit him and as soon as he saw me he ate like a crazy bird! The doctor was excited to see this and couldn't believe it. Friday afternoon 3:00 pm I got the call to come pick him up :hug8: ! I couldn't drive fast enough I was crazy excited to have him back. He was in good spirits and for the first time ever on Saturday morning when I got up he reached up put his beak against my lips and made the kissing sound! He did this three times! I felt like a little kid again and almost cried like one to! So he has been on antibiotics all since that I hand feed him like I did 4 years ago when he was a baby and he takes it like a madman.

I wanted to say how important I think it is to give your bird some mixed up mushy stuff in the syringe every once in a while in case of time like this so you can monitor and dose his/her antibiotics or pain meds correctly! I have been doing this about once every 3-6 months since he was a baby.

So here are the pics from the day he came home and today. He goes back to the vet tomorrow morning for a re-eval, but I think he his going to be fine. It doesn't look like his wounds are inflamed or infected and he is talking and climbing all over again. He did end up with a small fracture on his right wing so he is not doing much flapping at all. I will post what the doc says tomorrow night to keep everyone updated.

From Friday evening:

The ones below are from today - Much Better! :dance5:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am so glad he pulled through!! I lost a bird to a raccoon and even though it was only doing whats in its nature I will never see them the same way again :( Thank you for giving your sweet boy a chance and doing what needed to be done to save him! :hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
OMGoodness, your poor little boy! I'm so relieved Bob is going to be alright. :hug8: I can only imagine how worried you were. What will you do now regarding the patio?

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
:omg: poor baby! I can't even imagine how terrifying that situation must have been for you guys. I am so glad that Bob made it through ok:hug8:

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
:omg: SO glad to hear he's ok!!! :hug8:

Myfeathers

Moving in
The patio will be off limits now. Bob will be staying inside from now on no matter what! These raccoons can get into anything. CRAZY! Yep, that was what you call "learning the hard way".

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I had no idea racoons could this!!!! Thanks for the warning as I live in Florida too and we have racoons all over the place.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Oh my gosh! I am so glad that Bob is doing ok now.That must have been so scary.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
OH your poor baby!!! Please keep us updated on him. Many prayers for his speedy recovery:hug8:

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
you are an ANGEL thankyou from BOB for doing what needed to be done :heart:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
So glad he's going to be OK!!! Time to upgrade that aviary to make sure that doesn't happen again. Unless you killed or captured that racoon he's going to be back.

BakeBeanPie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Elizabeth
Poor baby Bob! I'm SO happy he made it. :hug8:

He's a beautiful boy, racoons can be such a pain. :mad:

When I was younger I had a pet pigeon and I decided to leave his cage outside as we went out for the day. We came home late due to a horrible storm and the highway was packed.. I was crying and praying my pigeon would be ok because it was very dark. I came home to find only feathers and bones, the killer walked right by my foot and if not for my love and understanding for all animals I don't know what I've done to that coon. To make things worse, I actually rescued that big fat racoon a few days earlier from my neighbours trap... I geuss he wanted to thank me by getting rid of my pigeon pest. --.--''

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
Oh, that is scary! I am so glad that Bob is going to be OK.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am so glad that he has you to care for him.

Matt

Lotsa Birds

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sandy
So sorry it happened and I'm glad he is okay. I'm also glad you had a good vet and knew to get him in ASAP.... He looks to be on the mend now because of you both :)
Sandy

SultanMyM2

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Wayne
Glad Bob is doing well & will be ok.Raccoons will & can get into almost anything if they see something they want bad enough so no matter how safe your out door avian looks there is always a chance something can get in .I myself would never leave my birds out doors unattended just to risky & to many critters out there.In the wild they can fly away & get to higher ground to survive, as pets they are usually confined to one area & can't get away.I am so glad Bob is doing well & will once again be a happy healthy bird :)

patrice

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Patrice M
I had a raccoon come through the doggie door in the middle of the night once. He cleaned the dog's food dish and slopped water all over, then went to check out the bird cages. Fortunately the commotion woke me up before he could do any harm.

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
Oh i'm sooo glad bob's doing fine:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.