• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quiet chirps while breathing

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Oh if this is any useful info, Preeno is now on Curam (Amoxycillin) and an anti-inflammatory, Meloxicam.

Reactions: Ali

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Amoxycillin would help greatly with a lung/airsac infection (including pneumonia) so no worries there.
I'm not a vet, I can only relate my own personal experience. Keep following your vet's advice and make sure you complete the course of antibiotic. And as I already said things will get worse before they get better.

clarousel

Amoxycillin would help greatly with a lung/airsac infection (including pneumonia) so no worries there.
I'm not a vet, I can only relate my own personal experience. Keep following your vet's advice and make sure you complete the course of antibiotic. And as I already said things will get worse before they get better.
Thanks Ripshod, really appreciate it.

Will do my best with medicating and keep an eye on Preeno. He's still his usual self today so that's a good sign :)

clarousel

Hi!
Just wanted to ask if antibiotics can cause wet poops?

Not sure what's happened this morning but Preeno had lots of wet poop during his out of cage time. Usually if it's one or two then I'm not concerned. This seems a bit unusual and I don't think he's drunk that much water or eaten so much fresh veg to cause it.

His behaviour hasn't changed so I'm gonna watch the poops for the rest of the day.

D

Deleted member 29421

Hi guys,

I noticed Preeno was making these really quiet chirps along his breathing last night. I'm not sure if it was from shock when I came into the room (he was in total darkness).

I've just heard it again after he was flying around rapidly and breathing hard. It doesn't sound like wheezing.

Anyone has heard this kind of sound before? Unfortunately it's too quiet for my phone to pick up so I couldn't record it.

I mentioned this to the vet but she didn't seem concerned about it.
This is what I noticed with my budgie Daisy and she was diagnosed with iodine deficiency. The vet told me that the thyroid gets enlarged to the point that it makes it harder to breath and they squeak a bit when they breathe. Also, it can cause vomiting because it can put pressure on their crop.

clarousel

This is what I noticed with my budgie Daisy and she was diagnosed with iodine deficiency. The vet told me that the thyroid gets enlarged to the point that it makes it harder to breath and they squeak a bit when they breathe. Also, it can cause vomiting because it can put pressure on their crop.
Ah I see!

Just read up on it. Preeno did show some of the symptoms but he eats pellets and I'm quite stringent on the seeds, although he was eating only millet for a while when I first got him. But good to know! :)

D

Deleted member 29421

Ah I see!

Just read up on it. Preeno did show some of the symptoms but he eats pellets and I'm quite stringent on the seeds, although he was eating only millet for a while when I first got him. But good to know! :)
I don't know how common it is but it takes a long time for it to come on. Daisy came from a horrible situation and had nothing but seeds to survive on so maybe that had something to do with it. My budgies all eat pellets with some seeds and lots of fresh veggies and greens. The vet gave her an iodine shot and that got her on the road to recovery. Shes doing good now. :)

clarousel

I don't know how common it is but it takes a long time for it to come on. Daisy came from a horrible situation and had nothing but seeds to survive on so maybe that had something to do with it. My budgies all eat pellets with some seeds and lots of fresh veggies and greens. The vet gave her an iodine shot and that got her on the road to recovery. Shes doing good now. :)
Do you know if it's hereditary? Or just sort of an onset thing based on diet? It's good to know that it's curable!

That's great to hear Daisy is doing fine now! :shy:

clarousel

Trying not to worry but Preeno is back out of the cage and doing watery poops and pooping clear liquid.

When he was in the cage he had some healthy poops. He hasn't eaten any veggies since so I'm not sure what's causing this!

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I wonder what might be causing this. Does Preeno always have all-three-elements poops? Astro very often does clear liquid poops but she eats a lot of veggies. :bored:

clarousel

I wonder what might be causing this. Does Preeno always have all-three-elements poops? Astro very often does clear liquid poops but she eats a lot of veggies. :bored:
Yes I'm not sure what either. Preeno usually has healthy toothpaste-like poop! He had some when I brought him out for sun time. Once he was back inside it was wet poop/clear liquid. He wasn't stressed or anything and super chatty.

I wonder if the antibiotic is messing with his gut since it's his second round (different antibiotic).

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Just wanted to ask if antibiotics can cause wet poops?
I wonder if the antibiotic is messing with his gut since it's his second round (different antibiotic).
Yep, it'll be the antibiotic. The new one is obviously harsher on his gut than the first so you're seeing more symptoms. It happens in humans too.
As an aside do Preeno's seed mix or pellets contain any probiotics? If not then you might want to source some good quality probiotics for when he's completely finished the antibiotics to replenish his gut's natural bacteria (yep, antibiotics kill them off too).

clarousel

Yep, it'll be the antibiotic. The new one is obviously harsher on his gut than the first so you're seeing more symptoms. It happens in humans too.
As an aside do Preeno's seed mix or pellets contain any probiotics? If not then you might want to source some good quality probiotics for when he's completely finished the antibiotics to replenish his gut's natural bacteria (yep, antibiotics kill them off too).
Thanks Ripshod!

His poop went back to normal a while after my last post. Good news - no coughs/sneezes recently!!! But I don't wanna jinx it.

My previous vet gave me some, Vetafarm brand. Do you guys keep probiotics in the fridge? There isn't any instruction to but it's clumped together due to humidity I think. Also it seems to melt a while after I put it in the bowl!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
My previous vet gave me some, Vetafarm brand. Do you guys keep probiotics in the fridge? There isn't any instruction to but it's clumped together due to humidity I think. Also it seems to melt a while after I put it in the bowl!
I would bin that and get some fresh. Vetafarm is a great brand. Ask your vet for some fresh.