• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quiet chirps while breathing

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Hi guys,

I noticed Preeno was making these really quiet chirps along his breathing last night. I'm not sure if it was from shock when I came into the room (he was in total darkness).

I've just heard it again after he was flying around rapidly and breathing hard. It doesn't sound like wheezing.

Anyone has heard this kind of sound before? Unfortunately it's too quiet for my phone to pick up so I couldn't record it.

I mentioned this to the vet but she didn't seem concerned about it.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Do you have faith in this vet? If so then go by what is told to you. If you are not sure of the vet than I would find another and get a second opinion. respiratory noises can be concerning.

clarousel

Do you have faith in this vet? If so then go by what is told to you. If you are not sure of the vet than I would find another and get a second opinion. respiratory noises can be concerning.
It's my first time seeing her and she is probably the most senior avian vet in the country!

I'm just worried because I can't get a recording of it with my phone that it gets brushed aside.

I'll keep an eye on Preeno in the meantime.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You shouldn't be hearing a clicking/chirping while breathing. She has something going on and should really be evaluated for possible infections, including aspirgillosis.

clarousel

You shouldn't be hearing a clicking/chirping while breathing. She has something going on and should really be evaluated for possible infections, including aspirgillosis.
It's not all the time though. I've heard it twice so far.

I've just been to the vet yesterday which cost me quite a lot and it's the third trip in a month. I don't have time to go again this week either (I've alreay taken time off work twice for the vet).

Gonna look up aspirigillosis now.

clarousel

Preeno just vomitted (first time ever since the regurgitations started) and I'm trying to stay calm and not panic.

Will ring the vet when they're open to see if I can speak to the vet over the phone.

I'm frustrated and feel like I'm doing something wrong. Meanwhile my dad doesn't care at all for his aviary budgies and they thrive.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Hopefully the vet will run some blood tests and take swabs to rule out bacterial and fungal infections.
Once you hear changes in their breathing, it's quite often a sign that they're already sick. You're not doing anything wrong. I do believe your vet needs to do some more diagnostic testing as something's definitely not right.
Please keep us posted.

clarousel

Hopefully the vet will run some blood tests and take swabs to rule out bacterial and fungal infections.
Once you hear changes in their breathing, it's quite often a sign that they're already sick. You're not doing anything wrong. I do believe your vet needs to do some more diagnostic testing as something's definitely not right.
Please keep us posted.
Preeno had a crop swab yesterday hence the current antibiotic treatment. The vet said if the regurgitation doesn't get better it would have to be a proper stain which would cost ~$200

I did mention to her Preeno used to sneeze a lot when younger but it's stopped. And I showed her the regurgitating video which she said the 'coughs' are actually sneezes or sneezes with it (I can't remember), she wasn't concerned because there's no sneezing usually or mucus discharged.

Thank you for the support. Gonna ring them in a bit.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Oh good! At least they have a swab going to see if anything bacterial is going on. I'd see if they are screening for fungus as well.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
she said the 'coughs' are actually sneezes
Vomitting does sound like sneezing.
Preeno just vomitted (first time ever since the regurgitations started)
How much does she eat? Overeating can cause vomitting and the pressure on the abdomen can make breathing difficult.
Please don't go googling for diseases, or at least search just these forums - I know how much you worry already.
For now keep her off fruit or anything sweet.

clarousel

Vomitting does sound like sneezing.

How much does she eat? Overeating can cause vomitting and the pressure on the abdomen can make breathing difficult.
Please don't go googling for diseases, or at least search just these forums - I know how much you worry already.
For now keep her off fruit or anything sweet.
The video wasn't of him vomitting, just the regurgitating motion but nothing actually comes up. But you can see his tongue moving like he's tasting soemthing. The sound is like a coughing noise. Didn't sound like sneezes to me either.

He eats a normal amount? He doesn't gorge or eat fast so maybe I held him a bit tight during that dosing? :( I'm trying to be super careful with my hold.
I don't give him fruit (doesn't like it) and the only source of sugar is pellets and maybe trace amounts in the veg.

Thanks Ripshod

clarousel

I came home and Preeno was fine. I had to turn lights on and wake him to give his second dose of antibiotics for the day, so I dom't know if this is a contributing factor to the below.

When I held him he started making those quiet chirps after some angry chirps. I don't hold him tight cause he's still able to squirm around, also not any tighter than before when he didn't make these chirps. After medicating he's made the chirps for a while in between flying/resting/preening. It got louder at one point and turned into a sneeze I think?

I tried to video and will upload here in a mo. Not sure if the sound was picked up though.

I'm trying to stay calm. I don't even know if the dose went in well or mostly on the beak...

Last edited:

clarousel

Okay here are the videos. I didn't rename them so I don't know which is which.

Video 1

Video 2

The one where he's perched on top of the mirror, you can hear the chirps I've been talking about with volume on high.

A few minutes after he was back to normal.

Reactions: Ali

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
How are you administering his antibiotics? Did the vet show you how?
I looks and sounds like he's aspirated some (inhaled).
Are these the same chirps/sneezes you've been hearing all this time?

clarousel

How are you administering his antibiotics? Did the vet show you how?
I looks and sounds like he's aspirated some (inhaled).
Are these the same chirps/sneezes you've been hearing all this time?
By syringe. The first vet did but because Preeno was so well behaved, we thought he'd take it without being held.

I did do my research on how to hold etc. and administer by syringe. I also read JLScribber's sticky thread (the link in the thread) on how to medicate. I try my best to push 0.01-0.02ml each time and I hold Preeno upright or at an angle, similar to LeAnne's method but with thumb and middle finger on either side of the head.

The chirps are new - first heard it Tuesday night after I turned the light on (Preeno was in the dark). Second time was after some rapid flying. I think I heard it again during the night and then now when I held him and after the meds.

The few sneezes in the video are what I usually hear during the regurgitating motion or sometimes just a few head bobs with the sneezes. These happened even without medication. *I mean without being medicated before

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
By syringe. The first vet did but because Preeno was so well behaved, we thought he'd take it without being held.

I did do my research on how to hold etc. and administer by syringe. I also read JLScribber's sticky thread (the link in the thread) on how to medicate. I try my best to push 0.01-0.02ml each time and I hold Preeno upright or at an angle, similar to LeAnne's method but with thumb and middle finger on either side of the head.

The chirps are new - first heard it Tuesday night after I turned the light on (Preeno was in the dark). Second time was after some rapid flying. I think I heard it again during the night and then now when I held him and after the meds.

The few sneezes in the video are what I usually hear during the regurgitating motion or sometimes just a few head bobs with the sneezes. These happened even without medication. *I mean without being medicated before
In that case it does sound like an infection either of the lungs or the airsacs, with a bit of fluid buildup.
As always with antibiotics things always seem to get worse before they get better. Complete the course (always) and don't expect an overnight miracle.
Trust your vet.

clarousel

The chirps hasn't stopped and I hear some clicking now. It's really quiet so I can only hear it with my ear next to the cage.

The antibiotics are for the bacterial build up in his crop - would it be treating the lungs/air sac too?

So far the two vets haven't really been concerned about the respiratory side of things. I don't doubt them but it's not adding up in my head as it's almost a month since the first vet trip.