• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions on molting.

optimisticStar

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Mario went through his molt few months back, but didn't lose so much feathers as described and whatever he lost they were small feathers mainly. Presently he has been losing feathers for about a week and a half now... 1st week he lost huge amount of very small white feathers and now he is losing medium size feathers. He looks half of what he was:

Questions:
- Does this sound like a heavy molt? Is it normal for a molt to last long? I am worried, I thought it will last about a week but it has gone over a week.
- He is pearl pied tiel. He lost all of his pearls from one wing and still has it on other wing. Do the pearl feathers grow back after molt? Just curious.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It sounds like a heavy molt to me. Sunny will usually have one heavy one and then some little ones throughout the year. He actually just started molting again today. And I wouldn't worry that it's over a week. Srtiels, one of our members, recommends adding some brewers yeast to their food during heavy molts to help with the stress of molting. I actually just gave some to Sunny this morning. And I'm afraid since Mario is a boy, his pretty pearls more than likely won't come back. Females retain their pearls and males lose them, although pearl pied males may sometimes keep them longer than regular pearls.

Pied - Just Cockatiels!

Toffee's owner

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Vinny
My birds a pied as well and ALWAYS got down type feathers in his cage. In fact, I clean him out in the morning, the same day his cage is srsly back to how it was before (minus the poop)
Hes like a burst feather pillow most times... 'poof shake' and little down feathers fluff out everywhere :(

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Birds can lose feathers year round, so that in itself is normal. It is also normal for them to go through an actual molt once or twice a year.

I feel as if some of my birds have been molting for *months* now, although they aren't losing as many feathers as they were, previously.... like it's getting lighter now.

Smbrds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Shawn
I remember when Baby would have a heavy molt. Almost looked like a spiked chicken. But then it seems part of that was from those colored pellets I had him on. Now that I got him on the natural ones, his plumage is more smooth and silky and not very many pin feathers. Not molting as much could also attribute to that.

I still think I should give Baby a bath once a week. It'll also allow him to get more sun.

Blue & Spud

Walking the driveway
Real Name
amanda
Ahhhh good to know, My little spud lost nearly all of her tail feathers the other day she was obviously finding them annoying and was scratching and when she flew away there was a pile of tail feathers left behind. She has been losing down feathers for weeks though so I wasn't too shocked but it's weird seeing her with only a few short tail feathers.

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
Mario went through his molt few months back, but didn't lose so much feathers as described and whatever he lost they were small feathers mainly. Presently he has been losing feathers for about a week and a half now... 1st week he lost huge amount of very small white feathers and now he is losing medium size feathers. He looks half of what he was:

Questions:
- Does this sound like a heavy molt? Is it normal for a molt to last long? I am worried, I thought it will last about a week but it has gone over a week.
- He is pearl pied tiel. He lost all of his pearls from one wing and still has it on other wing. Do the pearl feathers grow back after molt? Just curious.
It can sometimes last a while Rileys first molt was a heavy one and lasted 7 months he has recently started yet another molt hopefully it won't be as long or as heavy