• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions for Dove/Pigeon owners!

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I've been super interested in getting doves or pigeons someday, I love them so much, so wanted to ask some things.
1. What do they eat? Seed, pellets, veg, fruit?
2. How loud are they?
3. Can they warm up to you like a parrot can? ( i assume they can)
4. How bitey are they, and how much do they bite?
5. Pairs, groups or single?

Jogging around the block
1. They are primarily grain eaters, dried grains like corn, wheat, peas - mine get maize, wheat, blue peas mixed in with a wild bird seed mix to add variety - they are pigeons, so doves need smaller grain pieces, probably cracked corn and either no peas or crushed up ones. Some people feed them pellets, I believe in Aus you should be able to get special made pigeon pellets which if it were me I'd tend to lean towards, but I have known people to use Harrisons as well. Mine get a complete water soluble vitamin and mineral powder made for pigeons once a week in place of pellets (I can't source species specific ones here), so they are all getting adequate nutrition. Some of mine like to eat greens like dandelion and grass in their aviary, tho not all, so you can offer them greens, it is also fine to offer other fruits and veggies you would give to other birds, so it is a good thing to offer them fruits and veggies but don't be too worried about it if you can't get them to eat it.
2. I can hear my male birds from a surprising distance away when they start cooing, but it is not particularly 'loud' and it's not ear piercing like my lovebirds. If you don't like noise the females are usually a lot quieter.
3. Sorry, mine are not tame birds, so I wouldn't know. But my 2 hand reared birds still come up to see me a long time after they were weaned, although not physical interaction. I have seen people with single birds have quite cuddly animals, but usually not in 2 or more, and it is often a pair bond scenario with the owner.
4. I have never been bitten by one of my pigeons, unless I disturbed one on their nest. If you invade their nest they are likely to bite (it tickles more than hurts) or wing slap (which doesn't hurt either). I have not known them to be bitey birds with people who have single cuddly birds either.
5. I would recommend pairs or groups. Some people keep them single, but I think it is definitely best for their wellbeing to have atleast one other pigeon/dove. If you are keeping them in a large cage, either get one or a female + male pair, more are likely to fight from a space issue. If they are in an aviary it is nice to have a little flock of them (anywhere from 2 to however many you want) or a pair if you would prefer that.
Hopefully this helps, they are wonderful birds and I adore my flock of 13.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
A pet store in my area had one of those big white domestic doves and I found its cooing and other noises to be quite loud, repetitive and weird. Call me crazy, but I actually preferred most parrot calls and noises to that dove's calls. (I've never had super loud birds/species, though.)

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I've been super interested in getting doves or pigeons someday, I love them so much, so wanted to ask some things.
1. What do they eat? Seed, pellets, veg, fruit?
2. How loud are they?
3. Can they warm up to you like a parrot can? ( i assume they can)
4. How bitey are they, and how much do they bite?
5. Pairs, groups or single?

1. My pigeon, Henri/Etta eats a mix of Des Moines no corn pigeon feed and Hagen pigeon and dove seed mix.
I also offer him the same veggies and fruits I offer Pitchounette the GCC but he doesn’t eat that much.
2. Never loud. An occasional cooing. Adorable.
3. Mine took 5 months -I got him as a rescue baby- to from “mean” to literally following me around the house. He perched wherever I am and observes.
You’ll need “pigeon pants” and a harness so he can get sun outside with you.
4. He didn’t like hands so would peck at them but no longer does that. He lets me pick him up to put in his pigeon pants every day.
5. Mine is a single and lives indoors.
Also:
Check out www.Palomacy
You can use an X-Large dog crate.
Pigeons are so underrated. Henrietta is an absolute joy!
Let me know if you want more info.
the last photo is dark but gives you an idea of the cage set up.

Attachments

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
1. My pigeon, Henri/Etta eats a mix of Des Moines no corn pigeon feed and Hagen pigeon and dove seed mix.
I also offer him the same veggies and fruits I offer Pitchounette the GCC but he doesn’t eat that much.
3. Mine took 5 months -I got him as a rescue baby- to from “mean” to literally following me around the house. He perched wherever I am and observes.
4. He didn’t like hands so would peck at them but no longer does that. He lets me pick him up to put in his pigeon pants every day.
Also:
Check out www.Palomacy
I forgot to add that the most expensive part of having a pigeon is that I had to invest in a really effective air filter because pigeons are dusty! I have it right next to his cage because I sit next to the cage (it’s literally pushed up against the side of my couch) and I run it 24/7 including full blast overnight.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
1. They are primarily grain eaters, dried grains like corn, wheat, peas - mine get maize, wheat, blue peas mixed in with a wild bird seed mix to add variety - they are pigeons, so doves need smaller grain pieces, probably cracked corn and either no peas or crushed up ones. Some people feed them pellets, I believe in Aus you should be able to get special made pigeon pellets which if it were me I'd tend to lean towards, but I have known people to use Harrisons as well. Mine get a complete water soluble vitamin and mineral powder made for pigeons once a week in place of pellets (I can't source species specific ones here), so they are all getting adequate nutrition. Some of mine like to eat greens like dandelion and grass in their aviary, tho not all, so you can offer them greens, it is also fine to offer other fruits and veggies you would give to other birds, so it is a good thing to offer them fruits and veggies but don't be too worried about it if you can't get them to eat it.
2. I can hear my male birds from a surprising distance away when they start cooing, but it is not particularly 'loud' and it's not ear piercing like my lovebirds. If you don't like noise the females are usually a lot quieter.
3. Sorry, mine are not tame birds, so I wouldn't know. But my 2 hand reared birds still come up to see me a long time after they were weaned, although not physical interaction. I have seen people with single birds have quite cuddly animals, but usually not in 2 or more, and it is often a pair bond scenario with the owner.
4. I have never been bitten by one of my pigeons, unless I disturbed one on their nest. If you invade their nest they are likely to bite (it tickles more than hurts) or wing slap (which doesn't hurt either). I have not known them to be bitey birds with people who have single cuddly birds either.
5. I would recommend pairs or groups. Some people keep them single, but I think it is definitely best for their wellbeing to have atleast one other pigeon/dove. If you are keeping them in a large cage, either get one or a female + male pair, more are likely to fight from a space issue. If they are in an aviary it is nice to have a little flock of them (anywhere from 2 to however many you want) or a pair if you would prefer that.
Hopefully this helps, they are wonderful birds and I adore my flock of 13.

Thank you so much! Pigeons and doves are one of my absolute dream pets, they're stunning and so precious. After seeing everyones responses, i'm being even more convinced to try find a breeder/rescue for 2-3.
I think I can get pigeon pellets here, if not i'd be okay to make my own mix of grain and other things.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Also:
Check out www.Palomacy
How precious!
Pigeon pants are adorable, I would have a blast with those custom decorated ones. Are they dusty because they use powerdown rather than an oil gland? I'm still looking for a proper HEPA purifier within my price range, so i'll have to put off owning them for a while longer until i've got one, and when i've got a bigger yard, I would love to make an aviary.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
A pet store in my area had one of those big white domestic doves and I found its cooing and other noises to be quite loud, repetitive and weird. Call me crazy, but I actually preferred most parrot calls and noises to that dove's calls. (I've never had super loud birds/species, though.)
The doves that come here can be super noisy sometimes, not loud, just repetitive, so I totally get what you mean.