• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions about taking care of feathers (Macaw)

Hex

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amanda
Lilly will be home with us probably this friday and one of the first thing I am doing for my poor baby is giving her a good shower. Her feathers are a little rough and a few people at an exotic bird store here have given me opinions on what shouls be done to help but I thought asking here would be best. I had a few people tell me coconut oil would help I had some tell me chamomile tea would help and help her feel better (what with moving stress and etc) I have attached a picture of her (yes that nasty rusty cage is the one they have her in right now 3': ...I can't wait to go pick her up!)

any suggestions will be appreciated! Also I am doing a blog about Lilly and updating it daily with pictures and videos of her as soon as she arrives. I am hoping it will help people understand Macaws better and open more peoples eyes to adoption...

:heart:anyhow here she is:heart:
IMG_1471.jpg IMG_3468.jpg
and the blog is Parrot Press | The story of an aspiring Bird Trainer and her Parrot.

Last edited:

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Aww, she's going to clean up just fine. What a beauty! Seriously, I would start with just H20. I have heard so many negative things about any of the other additives that sound like they should help, but they can block pores, become sticky, etc, which could actually tempt the bird to overpreen or barber. Why don't you try a short just water shower every day for a week and re-evaluate? Good luck!

Hex

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amanda
I will definitely try that first for at least a week. I don't want her to give herself a "feathercut" because of me :omg:

I am going to be getting her on a good diet (seeds, nuts, pellet, fresh fruits and veggies everyday) once she gets here but as of right now all she gets is pellets so I think that has a lot to do with how her feathers are right now 3: poor baby. It is funny I am so scared to do something wrong but the people who have her now have done everything wrong. :(

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I will definitely try that first for at least a week. I don't want her to give herself a "feathercut" because of me :omg:

I am going to be getting her on a good diet (seeds, nuts, pellet, fresh fruits and veggies everyday) once she gets here but as of right now all she gets is pellets so I think that has a lot to do with how her feathers are right now 3: poor baby. It is funny I am so scared to do something wrong but the people who have her now have done everything wrong. :(
Well, all pellets is better than all seeds, methinks. You are going to do fine. I'm really excited for you. You're both lucky. :heart::heart: And I think the bathing will help a lot. If she is nervous, start out with steam. Shower on as high as you can get it. Close the bathroom door and talk to her softly, and if she's doing ok you can get a plastic plant mister bottle and point it up towards the ceiling over her head, so it rains Dow on her. Give her a break after a minute then repeat maybe two more times. But watch her and stop if she's unhappy. And don't forget the treats! :)

Hex

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amanda
Well, all pellets is better than all seeds, methinks. You are going to do fine. I'm really excited for you. You're both lucky. :heart::heart: And I think the bathing will help a lot. If she is nervous, start out with steam. Shower on as high as you can get it. Close the bathroom door and talk to her softly, and if she's doing ok you can get a plastic plant mister bottle and point it up towards the ceiling over her head, so it rains Dow on her. Give her a break after a minute then repeat maybe two more times. But watch her and stop if she's unhappy. And don't forget the treats! :)
Alright! and I have been looking at diets and from what I am reading a little bit of everything (everything healthy that is!) seems to be best but if I am incorrect please tell me so! I hadn't seen many people talk about the steam idea! I will do that! everything I fend is just "i take mine in the shower, don't make the water too hot for her!" that kind of stuff! Thank you for all this helpful information! I hope she can be comfortable around me! :dance5:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
The coconut oil they are talking about is to feed her as a supplement to improve feather and skin from the inside. Red Palm oil is another food supplement to improve feather and skin quality. Just want to make sure you know with the steam you steam up the bathroom and have her outside the shower. I figured you understood this but wanted to make sure for Lilly's sake. You can also put her on a stand or over the door shower perch and use a spray bottle on fine mist and spray it up in the air above her. Don't spray her directly (at least until you know that is how she wants it.). Also I would never put a larger parrot on a suction shower perch. They don't hold forever and will come loose quicker on a larger bird and we wouldn't want her traumatized by a falling perch. Good luck and I am sure you will do very well with her. I love the name Lilly by the way.

Shyra

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
One other thing you can do to help with feathers is make sure Lilly gets plenty of sunshine. It's amazing how a few rays a day will help their feather quality and coloring.

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
She might not take to showers right away. We found that just having the bird in the bathroom all steamy, while you shower, is a great start. She will get more and more interested and then hopefully eventually she will come in with you. Don't buy the suction cup perches, they can fall easily and then she may really be scared of showers. Get a pvc over the door perch, or standing T type perch for her.

Definitely no additives to the water if you mist her, it can get into her lungs and cause major damage. Just plain old water is the best!

Also, I would set up a blood chemistry test, and other tests, because of that rusty cage she could have heavy metal poisoning, which can be deadly. A full exam is needed with a new bird anyway, so you know the basic levels and what you can improve on. Good luck, I am so glad you rescued her!

Hex

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amanda
Thanks for all the responses! She is set up for a vet visit the first of next week and is getting one of those "new bird wellness checks"

I did understand not to put her in water that hot delicate little ladies like her don't want to get burnt!

I didn't realize the coconut oil was meant for internal use! Thank you that is good to know!

No suction cup shower perches! I was already scared of them because my shampoo is enough to knock down the suction cup basket haha. From what I have been reading I think I am going to get another shower curtain and put it in about midway to the side of the water for her so she has plenty of room to decide when she is ready to actually go in!

Sunshine! That sounds very pleasant! I will make sure to put one of her stands by the window in the room she and I will be sharing.

I am really scared about the possibility of metal poisoning. It's the main reason I decided it was urgent that I get her away from the home she is in fast. 3: I hope she is ok and a lot of love can help her get better <3

Lyzzi

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Lyzzi
A lot of damage on feathers comes from being in too small an enclosure, too. For young birds, it can also be from play. Bolt is a year old, and his tail feathers are always dinged up because he enjoys playing on the floor. Cherry' tail is a victim to her barbering. There's lots of contributors to ratty feathering, and not all of them can be fixed. Just something to keep in mind. :hug8:

Hex

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amanda
I will love her no matter what she looks like that being said though I do want to give her the best chance to achieve her full potential ^.^ If I try my hardest and she ends up a picker I will be happy knowing I did my absolute best and that she is just a nudist birdy :lol:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
A good diet, a bigger cage and a shower will help :)

butterfly

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a Macaw that had lot of bad feathers from chewing them, This is what she was doing when I got her. I am using with great success
, Avian Solution Daily Bath Spray. buy it from My Safe Bird store. It is the best price there. on sale $18.00 This stuff is GREAT!!!! Her feathers are so nice, not ragged now. I bought 1 bottle with big difference in her feathers. Now I bought 2 and yes will buy more. It helps with so many problems go there and read about it. also faster healing of their skin. It is all natural, it helps feather plucking ,cleans feathers and skin safely.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Healing the ratty feathers should be done from the inside out. I'm another one who would never put anything on their feathers except water. Remember they will ingest anything on their feathers as they groom.

There are three supplements that are very good for their heart health as well as their feather condition. Red Palm Oil (my personal favorite), Flax seed (my veterinarian's favorite) and coconut oil. I don't know which pellets she is eating, but make sure she is getting a high quality pellet such as Harrison's.

Rust is not truly a heavy metal, but can cause severe health problems for your bird.

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
With the sunshine, being near a window may be good for her if she will tolerate the new view, but windows cancel out some of the good UV rays which are needed for feather condition. You might want to consider a carry cage to take her out for a bit and work slowly with her to harness train her so you can take her out eventually for some days. :)