• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question

Jaspersmum

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
So I got Jasper 2 weeks ago. I've let him settle in and he is still afraid.

When I get to close he starts panicking and flapping around.

My friend whose sister is huge in the bird world says to get a towel and grab him out and hold him until he is calm. She said he will only get worse if I don't do this.

I want to get him a tame friend to help him trust me.

I don't think grabbing him will make things better. She also said to return him but that seems cruel.

What says bird forum?

VanSwss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sara
In my opinion he will get worse if you grab at him with a towel. Please don't do that. I wouldn't get another bird right now either. If he bonds with another bird, you will have an even harder time trying to get him to bond with you.

When you say "when I get close..." do you mean getting close to his cage? Your hand getting close to him in the cage?

I just think you are going to have to take things a bit slower with him.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh definitely don't grab him. That's an antiquated taming method that is not recommended anymore. If he's really scared, try covering his cage on three sides with the front open so he doesn't have to be on alert for "danger" all the time until he calms down more. Where is his cage located? Do you play soft music for him or leave the TV on? Silence during the day can be scary for a bird. I suggest sitting by him and reading to him. As silly as that sounds, it gets him used to your presence and voice in a non-threatening way.

Jaspersmum

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
In my opinion he will get worse if you grab at him with a towel. Please don't do that. I wouldn't get another bird right now either. If he bonds with another bird, you will have an even harder time trying to get him to bond with you.

When you say "when I get close..." do you mean getting close to his cage? Your hand getting close to him in the cage?

I just think you are going to have to take things a bit slower with him.
[/QAwesome!
No when I go in his cage he is OK until I get too close to him. Then he panics and flaps around. I have him in my room so when I'm not at work I'm with him 24/7. I always talk to him and play songs. He still hasn't made a peep and the only thing he does is chew his kabab a little and eat.

Jaspersmum

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
Oh definitely don't grab him. That's an antiquated taming method that is not recommended anymore. If he's really scared, try covering his cage on three sides with the front open so he doesn't have to be on alert for "danger" all the time until he calms down more. Where is his cage located? Do you play soft music for him or leave the TV on? Silence during the day can be scary for a bird. I suggest sitting by him and reading to him. As silly as that sounds, it gets him used to your presence and voice in a non-threatening way.
I have been talking to him and hanging out with him all the time. He is in my room where I am 24/7. I also have him in a corner and the back half of his cage is always covered so he' has a safe place.
He still hasn't made sounds or played. He just hangs in the back or on his food dish. Sometimes nibbles his kabab.

VanSwss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sara
I have been talking to him and hanging out with him all the time. He is in my room where I am 24/7. I also have him in a corner and the back half of his cage is always covered so he' has a safe place.
He still hasn't made sounds or played. He just hangs in the back or on his food dish. Sometimes nibbles his kabab.
How old is he?