• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question to horse riders

Karnkate

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karnkate (Lookkaew/Crystal)
How do you guys get onto the saddle? The horse I'm riding is not too tall for me, but for some reason I just can't.
Does the weight count as well? My BMI is 26.7 which is considered as pretty chubby.
I don't have horses so my only time that I can ride any is at Hua Hin and now my trip in Europe, so yeah, I'm inexperienced and have zero knowledge beyond horse body language.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
You can use a mounting block or something else to stand on ( bench, bucket, tree stump, log, etc) that will make it easier on you and the horse to mount up. We always used them where I rode.

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
I am only 5'2 so anything but a pony is too tall :wacky: I use a mounting block in the form of a kitchen step ladder. In my younger year I used anything I could find...stump, fence, picnic table, tailgate :hehe:

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
I always use a mounting block. :D

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
We keep a few heavy milk crates in the storage room to use. :)

DancingFeathers

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I've only really taken hunter riding lessons for two years and don't have horses of my own, but I haven't mounted without a block or something before. I hear it helps if you have someone weighting down the other rein.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I'm lucky that I've always been good at it. However, more than 16.5hh and I stand on something.

kathykeltsy

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
kathy
Just make sure your saddle is good and tight and pull with your upper body strength. I can get on any horse with or with out a saddle. My old gelding was really tall so it just took a lot of practice. Or use something to stand on :)

Omena

Moving in
Real Name
Oona
I always use a mounting block and mount from both sides - no matter what size the horse is. :)