• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question on arthritic birds/meds

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
He has arthritis problems in his old age that we're treating with meds, but are aggravated by a rather rough start he had in life. Lately he's been showing discomfort, he stays on his heated perch more, is slow to move,etc, despite the meds. I'm going to take him into the vet this weekend to see if there's anything else we can do and wanted to know if anyone else has birds with arthritis and what meds they use or advice? I want him to have the best quality of life possible, and hate seeing him slowing down. I'm getting the feeling that CJ is starting to come to the end of his quality of life unless we can find something that will work. My poor old man. :(

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Crushed flax seeds does wonders for arthritic pain.:)

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
With my tiel, we used tramadol and metacam for breakthrough pain.
He had a nice cozy warm flat cage, I took his normal cage and made a false bottom, so he was up high and didnt have to worry about perching up high. He loved his heat too.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ginger, in bird bread and as a tea, and cherries, are how we mainly help Gizmo's. Flax seed, chia seeds, and walnuts also are good for it, as are foods rich in beta carotene and vitamin C.

Refined carbs like white rice, white flour, etc, can cause inflammation, so avoid those when preparing bird breads or chop. And straight fruit juice, even 100%, is just simple sugars, which also can make it worse, so I don't give any of that, even watered down. I do add some tart cherry juice to the bird bread though.

Not sure if this helps or not, but it might be something you can implement alongside the medication?

Last edited:

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
Have u tried the new V8 veggie drink? No sugar or soy.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Jasper, 20 year old GW female, has severe arthritis in one ankle and moderate arthritis in the joints of both feet. She has been on twice a day Metacam for 11 years and I supplement the Metacam (a NSAID) with DMSO when her feet swell too much. It keeps her pain to a managible level, but believe me ( I have osteo arthritis) nothing eliminates the pain unless you go to an opiate - and that's not a good thing.

Hope you can make your baby as comfortable as possible.

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
Joint pain in humans makes us understand how difficult it is for our pets. When my dogs start showing a limp I give them something right away. I can sympathize with their discomfort.i personally find that too much ice-cream adds to my own inflammation!

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
Kristen, when you see the AV ask if there is anything made for birds/animals with Glucosamine Sulphate in it as the active constituent that would be worth trying. Good luck. :)

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
i agree with checking with the vet about glucosamine. there is alot of liquid glucosamine on the market, perhaps a small or diluted dose? it really helps many people and animals.

hope you can find something to ease his discomfort.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
What meds are you using so far? Hachi is doing wonderfully on celebrex.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Kristen, when you see the AV ask if there is anything made for birds/animals with Glucosamine Sulphate in it as the active constituent that would be worth trying. Good luck. :)
Jasper took a heart tonic daily (for her congestive heart failure) that included glucosomine and it didn't seem to make one bit of difference - her arthritis continued to worsen. I tried glucosomine myself for months with no positive results. Some people swear by it, but it is well recognized that it doesn't help everyone.