• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question: Linnie more than 6 months old

Wendy27

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hello,

I have the opportunity to get a linnie - however - it is already more than 6 months old. I would like to know if this bird will like interacting with humans (like being held, steps up from cage, etc.) or would it be best to wait for a newly weaned linnie. This bird was hand raised but this breeder said that she does not hold the bird or bring it out of its cage on a daily basis. Thanks in advance.

wyrinth

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I don't know about your bird, but I got both my linnies when they were about 4 to 5 months. Both were "hand raised" but they have different personalities. One was, and is very hand shy and took a month to get used to me. The other was more bold and only took about a week to settle. I bought them from different people and about two months apart from each other. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I've read a lot about the puberty stage, but fortunately never experienced it since both my birds were older ( and had each other)

As for not being handled too often. I sometimes do not handle my linnies for periods of time (a week or so), just letting them out to fly or leaving them in their spacious cage to play with their toys. They seem fine afterwards. It's better to leave a bird alone than to force them to interact. Go look at the bird if you can. Most linnies are naturally shy, but unless someone tries to touch them, they'll allow people to look at them and talk to them without getting scared at all. Even strangers. That would be a good indication that the linnie should do ok.

Wendy27

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hi and thanks for responding. I appreciate it. Do you know if your linnies are male or female?

KayKhaos

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaylea
I got 2 linnies. My first one got Her when she was just a baby hand raised, currently 8 months old. Loki is very friendly, brave and happily sits with me will sit on my hand but that took a long time to do.
My second one I got is roughly over a year old, not hand tame, was suppose to be a breeder bird. I'm unsure the sex... but Cynder is very shy she is more willing to sit on my hand but is very skiddish but very sweet. Still a working on Cynder.

Definitely see if you can visit the bird first a few times, and of you have the time to put in training. Each linnies is very unique! I love reading about others, good luck on your choice.