• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

question about training treats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassyjaygrl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jessica
Ok, so my RB2 will be coming home soon, and I know they can get fatty tumors. So she is already on good pellets, and eatinf some fruit. So I will be adding more fresh than dried. And from visiting her I know she loves peanuts.

But would almonds be better for a dry type treat for me to use as a reward or is there another type of nut that is less fatty? I know from myself eating healthier that they are good for me. But I am concerned about not giving too many fatty things to my new baby, and from training my dogs, I keep treats out to always reward good behavior, but keeping fresh fruit out isn't really an option.

What do you guys use?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

oh and since I use a clicker for my 3 dogs yes I will be using on for the bird too :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
We use almonds, cashews, and walnuts. Sometimes brazils, pistachios, or hazelnuts. Some birds like pine nuts, mine do not. Peanuts are generally frowned upon due to the possibility of aspergillosis. Vegetables should be considered somewhere in his diet. More so than fruit. I bake my own birdy bread with organic healthy ingredients, and hide the veggies that are good but they won't eat raw there. Some people make mashes or what they call 'chop'{minced fine fruits, veggies, beans, legumes}

LuvMyAlex

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rhonda
Yes almonds are much better than peanuts. If using for training, break them up into little tiny pieces and then it will go a lot further without giving her too much.

My galah loves his veggies, especially his greens, corn and sprouts. :D Funnily enough he won't touch fruit or nuts. :huh:

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Yes almonds are much better than peanuts. If using for training, break them up into little tiny pieces and then it will go a lot further without giving her too much.
:
I agree. Almond slivers are a good treat. I understand almond is healthier than other nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.