• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

question about recall training

Status
Not open for further replies.

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
hello,

i was just watching this great parrot training video that braveheartdogs first posted about.

and noticed at the end, he's using some sort of whistle when he flies to the girl's arm.

i wondered if anyone else uses a whistle or anything in recall training?

i'm thinking that would be a good idea for me, as i can never think of phrase or word to say that i don't already say to duckie when i'm trying to train her to fly to me.

thanks for your input. =)

[video=youtube;cYYtI8Hr_jE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYYtI8Hr_jE&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

Last edited:

SkyBaby

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kira
You could try a clicker. Skye and Anakin IRN both hated the clicker sound, so I had to stop using mine. They did better with vocal praise and treats. Some birds take real well to clicker training. It's just the same kind of clicker you'd use in dog training and these things are readily available in pet stores. If you can't find one, let me know and I'll mail mine to you, assuming I can find it lol. I had to try 3 different pet stores before I found one.

Addi Kohler

Meeting neighbors
IMO, I would want to condition and train two types of recalls.

One would be an everyday recall using a simple voice command for use in normal situations, and the other would be an "emergency" recall using voice and whistle should the bird ever get out of the house unintentionally. The use of a whistle would simply help extend the distance of the cue, which could come in very handy if the bird gets far away from you.

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
thank you both! :)

addi - yes, thats what i was thinking, as the main reason i want to train her is incase she should ever get away.

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
IMO, I would want to condition and train two types of recalls.

One would be an everyday recall using a simple voice command for use in normal situations, and the other would be an "emergency" recall using voice and whistle should the bird ever get out of the house unintentionally. The use of a whistle would simply help extend the distance of the cue, which could come in very handy if the bird gets far away from you.
I was just thinking about this--I'd like to use an athletic whistle--where to get one?:confused:

Addi Kohler

Meeting neighbors
addi - yes, thats what i was thinking, as the main reason i want to train her is in case she should ever get away.
I plan on keeping my bird flighted when I eventually find one. Part of the appeal for me is not only flight, but the way they fly, and I get a kick out of how the little Lovebirds fly, but there is risk involved as well.

My goal is to create a "nuclear option" for recall in hopes that IF the little guy manages to get out of the house, I will have conditioned the bird enough to choose IMMEDIATELY coming BACK to me being more desirable than flying around outside.

The "nuclear option" will be conditioned as follows...

1. Build an association between sound and FOOD.
- EVERY "normal" meal will be preceded by me tapping on a stainless steel bowl with a metal spoon. Kind of like the dinner bell from days long past. With consistency and time, this should build a STRONG association with food, and the noise can be heard from a great distance.

2. Build an association between sound and THE ALL TIME MOST FAVORITE TREAT EVER!!!!
- Every critter, 2 legged, 4 legged, or feathered, has favorite foods, however SOME foods have higher values for motivational purposes. Think chocolate, or pizza, or ice cream for humans....
My goal is to find THE most high value treat for my bird, and associate that treat ONLY with the "nuclear recall" cue.

3. Establish and condition 2 separate recall commands.
- The first recall command will be a voice cue only, and is to be used for everyday purposes. It will be conditioned and rewarded using treats, but not THE treat of ALL treats.

With a little daily training and some proofing while the bird is distracted (say while it is hard at play), I believe this conditioning will give me a very good chance of immediately recalling the bird with the "nuclear option" should it escape, or, between the "nuclear option" and banging on its food bowl, at least being able to get it back a little later when it gets hungry.

I was just thinking about this--I'd like to use an athletic whistle--where to get one?
Wal-mart, or any sporting goods store should sell whistles.

Last edited:

Parrot14

Strolling the yard
I train my sun conure recall training for one year almost uninterrupted. Yes... one year, everyday. Yeah there are exceptions on sick day, vacation day, and emergency. But when I have time... i did it almost everyday. It took only 15 minutes each day. Besides teach your bird the skill, I felt it also contributed in strengthen the bonding between you and your loving birds, reward could not only in meal, it sometime loves hugs, cuddle, etc.

when it comes to outside training, IMO it is not the training which saves your bird from fly away. it is the bonding built during the training. The bird's desire to be arround us, loving us, the perception that it is part of the family. In my case, it was pretty obvious when my bird spooked by an approaching cat, and fly away soaring to the sky. I used the emergency call, thank God she came back immediatelly... but for me the emergency call function more as GPS which locate your position, bonding is the one which saves.

Last edited:

Addi Kohler

Meeting neighbors
I train my sun conure recall training for one year almost uninterrupted. Yes... one year, everyday. Yeah there are exceptions on sick day, vacation day, and emergency. But when I have time... i did it almost everyday. It took only 15 minutes each day. Besides teach your bird the skill, I felt it also contributed in strengthen the bonding between you and your loving birds, reward could not only in meal, it sometime loves hugs, cuddle, etc.

when it comes to outside training, IMO it is not the training which saves your bird from fly away. it is the bonding built during the training. The bird's desire to be arround us, loving us, the perception that it is part of the our family. In my case, it was pretty obvious when my bird spooked by an approaching cat, and fly away soaring to the sky. i used the emergency call, she came back immediatelly... but for me the emergency call function more as GPS which locate your position, bonding is the one which saves.
I agree with much of your sentiment, especially the "GPS" aspect.

The problem with "bonding", as a caretaker, is that the bird may accept you as a member of the flock, but what KIND of member? Are you viewed as a parent? A sibling? A peer? Birds in the wild leave their parents and siblings alike to start families of their own, so while you may indeed be viewed as a parent or sibling, this view will not keep them from venturing out on their own. In the wild, the departure of a bird from the family flock may very well occur as a result of a perceived threat that finds a bird flocking with another group for survival, and once the threat is gone, the bird stays with the new group. Unless your bird views you as a potential mate, which has its own share of problems, I wouldn't count on any social bond, alone, to motivate your bird to come back to the respective "nest".

IMO, it is far more important to emphasize the role you play in basic survival to the bird through food and security, than the social role you may think you provide. Between that survival position, COMBINED with any social role you may play, your bird should more than likely respond to calls from the "GPS base", and stand a good chance of being recovered.

Parrot14

Strolling the yard
Gosh.... never think about it. I never thought about what bonding the bird perceived. It's my perception that it is being happy as part of the flock. Never think that someday it will change the relationship the way you described, and eventually those are natural behavior of a bird in the wild.

thank for explain this... I need to redifine and evaluate what i believed.

Last edited:

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
for recall im training mango to gome to me when he squaks for me , like when hes in the other room and wants me .

i refuse to go to him , i call out to him om here come if he squacks again i say , you want me come here , the next time he squqcks i say nothing .

then he comes and i laugh at him and say see im here i love you , hes getting better and its something i do some times 5 times a day or more as hes free all day ,

it is working out well ,now will it work out side i hope i never have to find out , buy weather hes up on his net or

cage no matter where he is he knows he has to come to me i wont come to him

theres no reward except he has what he wants meeeeeeeeee.

Mango hated the ckicker and rewards dont do a thing for him , praise does it all

take your time find out which works best for your bird and use it , remember if he gets out , hes looking for you

not a treat , hes scard needs you so thats why im training Mango if he wants me he has to come to me think about it .

AS i said i dont know if it will work out side and hope i never finf out

Parrot14

Strolling the yard
I still need to be confirmed whether the successful rate on recall training depends on bird's character or intensity of training??

Status
Not open for further replies.