• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about olive oil

Riomacaw

Moving in
Hello I have a pretty tall bird cage for my macaw, but where he sleeps and eat he poops a lot and gets stuck to the bottom bars and builds up over night. I’m just wondering can spraying olive oil just on the bottom bars be okey to give it a little slippery??

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue :)

You could try, laying paper on top of the cage grate.

Riomacaw

Moving in
Yeah just want him to be able to play at the bottom of his cage with his plastic ball so is olive oil okey I saw it’s harmless to birds but wanna make 100% sure before trying it

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Honestly I would just recommend cleaning it off with water and soap or a parrot safe spray like poop off, or use paper at night and remove it at morning

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No you should never use oil. They can't get it off their feathers. The bird would not be able to zip/preen his feathers in place.

Riomacaw

Moving in
Guess I’ll just have to buy a whole new cage with bigger bars at the bottom as mine are small Gaps

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Guess I’ll just have to buy a whole new cage with bigger bars at the bottom as mine are small Gaps
...... or just slide the grate out and clean it more often?
I do mine once a day, but if you are having issues, you could wash it down morning and afternoon.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Since it’s overnight poo, I wouldn’t give him his ball until after you’ve cleaned the grate in the morning. Or, like @Zara mentioned, put cage paper on the grate at night. He probably isn’t playing with his ball during hours of sleep. So you can whisk away the dirty paper when you wake him in the morning to feed/water.

Riomacaw

Moving in
It’s not really just at night happens like every hour it just builds up bc how low the cage floor is