• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about feather colors on head

Tango

Moving in
Hi! I just got my little guy on Monday and was told that he was going through his first molt which explained his scruffy appearance. He is eating his pellets and seed mixture and was very interested in the chop I put in his cage today. He is active and has been exploring his new home. My question is the color of the feathers on his head. Every picture I see of a Linnie they have a solid color head, but he has gray feathers on his head mixed in with the turquoise. Are the gray feathers because of his molt? When his new feathers come in will he have a solid colored head? I cannot find any pictures online of a Linnie with more than one color on its head. I think he will be a handsome guy either way but just curious. I am going to stop by the pet store today and get some bath spray to help him during his molt.

Attachments

zERo/

Walking the driveway
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don’t have any Linnie experience, hopefully someone who does will!

I just wanted to say, I wouldn’t recommend bath spray, they don’t benefit your bird. Plain water from a misting bottle is best.

Tango

Moving in

I just wanted to say, I wouldn’t recommend bath spray, they don’t benefit your bird. Plain water from a misting bottle is best.
Thank you!

Tango

Moving in

Here are some additional pictures of the top of his head. Just wondering if the gray feathers will be replaced with the turquoise?

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It looks like he may have had his head feathers plucked at one point; the grey feathers you're seeing appear to be down. Once new feathers come in those should be covered. He does look a little rough overall though; I would make sure to do wellness visit with your vet just to be sure!

Tango

Moving in
Thank you. I did call a vet today to get information on wellness check-ups.

Reshah

Meeting neighbors
Linnies have a mutation called greywing. if it is a male he could be a single factor and that would cause the black of his feathers to be light grey.