• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

question about biting

themacaw

Walking the driveway
Hey everyone I was just wondering how sore it is to get bitten by say a hornbill
Plus I would also like a care sheet on northen yellow sided hornbills just wondering what their need are thanks

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hornbills come in different sizes. At the zoo I had worked mostly with Trumpeter Hormbills. These are pretty big birds, especially the males. We were very careful to never offer food directly from our hand, only using tongs to feed them. However, I have been bitten on my foot by the males. I wore heavy leather boots and felt extreme pressure and pain when bit. The hens were more docile.
Eastern Yellow-billed aka Northern yellow-billed are a smaller hornbill. The point is to staay away from those beaks! Some are more docile than others.
If you google Eastern Yellow-billed in captivity you can find good info. Hornbills do best in large aviaries. They need to fly and hop around. They prefer live foods./proteins and are expensive to feed. Due to their diet they have large foul smelling feces. IMHO, These hornbills are not meant for the pet trade.

Last edited:

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Ok I had to google hornbills .. Are they toucans?

themacaw

Walking the driveway
Just out of curiosity, what scorpions species would they eat