• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quarantine questions

Jogging around the block
I'm bringing home a few finches next week, and have a few questions on quarantine

1) How bad is it if there is airflow between rooms?
I don't exactly have a separate building to quarantine the new birds, so I have to just quarantine in a different room. I know there will be airflow for example under the door to my other birds room.
2) Should I treat for parasites early or later in quarantine?
I'll be treating all the new birds for parasites before they are allowed with my other birds, not sure if I should treat them early or late in quarantine.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
How long is the parasite treatment?

With my finches, the mite treatment I used took three weeks, so I would let the new birds get settled in, then start treating for airsac mites during the first week, so it would be done before the end of the quarantine period.

I also offered them eggfood mixed with a multivitamin supplement designed to help stressed birds. Couldn't hurt, might help.

Jogging around the block
How long is the parasite treatment?

With my finches, the mite treatment I used took three weeks, so I would let the new birds get settled in, then start treating for airsac mites during the first week, so it would be done before the end of the quarantine period.

I also offered them eggfood mixed with a multivitamin supplement designed to help stressed birds. Couldn't hurt, might help.
It's a treatment that you catch the bird and put it on their skin once.

Yes, I have a vitamin and mineral supplement that I plan to give them. Was struggling to find food that would actually mix with it well though, eggfood would be perfect.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
In that case, I would probably let them settle in for the first week, then do the treatment. That will give them a little time to recover from transport stress before you need to handle them.

If any of them start showing signs of illness before you treat, you won't need to wonder if it is a reaction to the medicine or something else. And after treatment, you can easily keep an eye on them to be sure they are not having any problems, since they are still in quarantine for a few weeks. If you end up needing to repeat the dose for some reason or do any other treatments, you still have lots of time.

Be sure to keep the quarantine cage clean and monitor closely. Extra vigilance during quarantine can save a lot of heartache and vet bills later on.

Last edited: