• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker or galah

Odette

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Odette
Which is your vote for louder?
Galah or quaker?

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I honestly think louder depends on your personally loud boundaries for example I can’t stand cockatiels noises I went to pet shop Friday 3 gcc 1Quakers budgies 3 cockatiels and they noise that got to me was the cockatiels the Quaker was being noisy but it’s not the same to my ears as cockatiels

my lovebird indie is the loudest out of my three birds she so so much louder than my gcc but I think it’s pitch over volume

my advice is to watch videos of both on utube put your phone or tv high volume and see which you can tolerate better

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Quakers have been one of the loudest birds I've owned! But I don't have experience with Galah.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I feel like for a lot of people, pitch matters more than volume. Like for me, conures make my teeth rattle, but some people are totally fine with it - like @Emma&pico, who can't do cockatiels, but I find my tiel to be perfectly fine :roflmao: but she also has a conure, so... Lol.

I don't have a galah (want one desperately though!), but I do have a sulpher crested too, and she's very loud volume-wise, but not high pitched. I did have quakers before, and they were LOUD, and also a medium high pitch.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I feel like for a lot of people, pitch matters more than volume. Like for me, conures make my teeth rattle, but some people are totally fine with it - like @Emma&pico, who can't do cockatiels, but I find my tiel to be perfectly fine :roflmao: but she also has a conure, so... Lol.

I don't have a galah (want one desperately though!), but I do have a sulpher crested too, and she's very loud volume-wise, but not high pitched. I did have quakers before, and they were LOUD, and also a medium high pitch.
Honestly olive drove my husband mad with her scream but remi doesn’t scream just says hello hello remi it’s getting so much clearer it’s indie honestly in a morning she on it like a car bonnet and her pitch level high

cockatiels are something else I can cope with whistle but it’s still like someone handing me wood:rnfrt:

Odette

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Odette
I honestly think louder depends on your personally loud boundaries for example I can’t stand cockatiels noises I went to pet shop Friday 3 gcc 1Quakers budgies 3 cockatiels and they noise that got to me was the cockatiels the Quaker was being noisy but it’s not the same to my ears as cockatiels

my lovebird indie is the loudest out of my three birds she so so much louder than my gcc but I think it’s pitch over volume

my advice is to watch videos of both on utube put your phone or tv high volume and see which you can tolerate better
I have had quakers and they don't have an off switch lol.

Odette

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Odette

Quakers are so loud! Had them before, no off switch.
Really want a galah too

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’m gonna suggest you find a rescue, breeder or bird store/sanctuary to visit. It’s really best to hear the birds in real life and decide from there which is more or less tolerable for you.

I also think you might be best to find out what species will be safe to house in the cage you have (pretty sure you shared a pic of a cage for a much smaller bird) already that you want to use.

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
It really depends on the individual parrots. My QP Ralph is on the quiet side but Quakers do have the reputation for being loud. I've never lived with a galah, but there was one in a local pet store who could outscream both a greenwing macaw and a pair of sun conures all in chorus. I don't think that's typical though, especially if the parrot gets adequate attention (which was lacking at the pet store).

Odette

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Odette
I’m gonna suggest you find a rescue, breeder or bird store/sanctuary to visit. It’s really best to hear the birds in real life and decide from there which is more or less tolerable for you.

I also think you might be best to find out what species will be safe to house in the cage you have (pretty sure you shared a pic of a cage for a much smaller bird) already that you want to use.
I've done that with rescues and breeders I have had quakers. Cage is big enough for am amazon

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I've done that with rescues and breeders I have had quakers. Cage is big enough for am amazon
Sorry- Maybe I am mixing you up with another member... My memory has the cage you pictured as being what is usually used for housing budgies, tiels, small conures etc.

What kind of bird do you want the most? Galah?

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
My single Quakers were pretty quiet once they passed 2-5 yrs old. Willow is VERY quiet as a ten yr old Quaker (too quiet; I praise him when he’s chattering).

I’ve always heard that the Galahs in Australia are very loud birds.

I think there’s a difference between a lone bird and a flock of birds. For me, shrill noises like the cockatiel “where are you?” call or the poicephalus contact whistle bother me the most. Ack ack ack doesn’t. Fear screams bring me running.