• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker Nails Long? Or its

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
IMG_6182.jpeg
My mom was concerned if Cosmo has to much long nails but I wanted to know from other people, because other friends of mine say they look to long for a Quaker parrot because they have Quaker themselves and said they look long.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Cosmo is so pretty!! Is he or she a creamino

They do look a bit long. Does it hurt when Cosmo perches on you? You could trim them yourself of have a vet or groomer trim them.

The nails should turn 90 degrees of a 360 degree circle. If you hold up Cosmo’s toe try to imagine how far his nails turn around an imaginary circle. You trim off the extra. The nails are light colored so you should be able to see the quick and not cut it.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Most people will look at the feet when they’re stood on a flat surface, if the tip of the toe is lifted up off the flat surface or turned sideways due to the nail lifting it or stopping the skin making contact with the surface then it’s time to trim. Their toes should sit directly on any flat surface they are stood on.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
A very clear explanation!
Really long nails make the parrot trip or get caught.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
A very clear explanation!
Really long nails make the parrot trip or get caught.
I have found with Birdie who has limited mobility he actually does better with a bit of extra length, he falls much less from his perches and the sides of the cage when they are a tad too long. I don’t like it but he spends limited time on totally flat surfaces so he’s unfortunately better off with crazy looking talons.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
That was the case for Lucy Quaker with her bad leg and crippled foot. She needed as much grip as possible. Not crazy long but not short like Willow’s.
Willow nibbles his own nails so that’s not an issue.

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
Most people will look at the feet when they’re stood on a flat surface, if the tip of the toe is lifted up off the flat surface or turned sideways due to the nail lifting it or stopping the skin making contact with the surface then it’s time to trim. Their toes should sit directly on any flat surface they are stood on.
Ok thank you

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
Cosmo is so pretty!! Is he or she a creamino

They do look a bit long. Does it hurt when Cosmo perches on you? You could trim them yourself of have a vet or groomer trim them.

The nails should turn 90 degrees of a 360 degree circle. If you hold up Cosmo’s toe try to imagine how far his nails turn around an imaginary circle. You trim off the extra. The nails are light colored so you should be able to see the quick and not cut it.
Hello thanks for responding .. when he perches yea it pinches a bit .. we may wait for the avian vet appt which is in 2 weeks about and see what he says. Thanks for the explanation. Cosmo is a turquoise crossover quaker by the way.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Maybe the vet can just trim the nails? That should be an easy fix for them.