• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

quaker hormonal/breeding season

purl1

Sprinting down the street
ive had cockatiels for years, I can tell when mine will start theirs. its always like clock work May/June. :grumpy:

what about quakers? is it this time of year? any time? anything I should look for?

I have a bonded pair that is around 10 (im guessing) they are extremly laid back around us, still very skittish and not sure of us (thats ok) so I have not seen any usual hormonal "issues" with them. They are very bonded, but I have not seen them mate, and no one has laid a egg (I dont know who is the female or male) one of them always comes out with the baby I just assume hes daddy. one always stays back in the cage and rarely comes out. :(

Walle is the baby, since we have had them since Jan I know hes at least 5 months old, when we got him from the MSPCA he had all his feathers and weighed the same as mom and dad.

im following the same routine I do with the cockatiels.

Shastasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sally
My quakers kick off their breeding season starting towards the end of March and continue with the last clutch in August. I breed indoors as the weather is too cold in the winter to let them breed outside. They are in 3 foot flights which they seem to enjoy as they can fly around.

purl1

Sprinting down the street
So it's early spring, Do they ever out grow the hormonal issues with age?
Maybe they did not have one this year because their lives where turned upside down early in the year.
I do not want to breed them.