• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pyrrhura conures?

Gizly

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chelsie
Do all the Pyrrhura conures generally have the same "basic" personalities? There are so many different types within the Pyrrhura group and there's a few that I'm interested in as a possible next bird. Everything that I've read says that they are all essentially very similar and the differences would be all individual to different birds. True?

I would like to work with Jack (rescue parrotlet) before getting another bird but I'm starting to think about a next addition! It will either be a spectacled parrotlet or one of the Pyrrhura conures. I love my dusky but I don't think it would be wise to have another Aratinga at this point in time :laugh: Loud!!

So generally, they will all have fairly similar personalities? Beaky and full of attitude?

Aequa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Caity
Pretty much. In my opinion, Pyrrhura Conure is the species, Black Cap, Crimson Belly, Pearly, Green Cheek ect are just mutations d: they are even the same general build and size. That said, they are very individual birds! I've met ones that don't bite and then my greenies brother who bit like a mad man and didn't stay still! Personally, I think Pyrrhura Conures are the best species hehe, clowns, crazy, able to be sweet hearts, they are like a constant puppy (biting, wrestling and all!). I'm considering another sometime in the future since I found out I'm allergic to Quakers, the one other species I took a fancy to :facepalm:

Verivus

Real Name
Chrissy
I only have a GCC, but I can tell you he is a cheeky, beaky little man with more attitude than my German Shepherd and Papillon combined, lol.

birdle

Rollerblading along the road
i've been interacting with and taking care of a few different types of conures that the pyrrhura conures are generally more aggressive and definitely more "beaky" than aratingas. Of course I know that there are many exceptions to the beaky aggressive stereotype and my own gcc, bord, is very sweet and gentle to me, and my boyfriend when I'm not in the room. He's super quiet now that he was a bird friend to hang out with but his screech does carry through the apartment and you can hear it outside. but I think many times gccs or other pyhrrhuras do love up to their "feisty" beaky personalities

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
From what I have also heard / read / experienced the pyrrhura's are all pretty similar in general attitude and behavior. Gotta love the feisty littler buggers :heart:

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@22caity22 pyrrhura is the genus and GCC, etc. is the specie. Mutations are a totally different thing. :)

I would assume that all pyrrhuras have the same general characteristics. I've been hearing more and more from people about the subtle differences though, i.e. GCC generally being more mischievous than others such as black cappeds, rose-crowned conures being more laid back that most other pyrrhuras, etc. I've also heard that people consider painted conures and black capped conures more quiet -- I haven't found this to be my case, though. ;)

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
For the short time I had Watson (Black Cap), I noticed the following:
1. He was fairly quiet, but could make a loud noise that was reserved for contact calls or when he heard someone upstairs that he couldn't see. He loved making tiny noises when he ate.
2. He was so curious! Not really mischievous, but curious! He wanted to go look at and touch everything.
3. A little acrobat, he loved doing lots of silly things all throughout the cage. He spent more time climbing and being silly than sitting on perches. He didn't even always sleep on perches.

Aequa

Real Name
Caity
@22caity22 pyrrhura is the genus and GCC, etc. is the specie. Mutations are a totally different thing. :)
:lol: Believe me, I'm well aware. What I was saying is that there is practically no difference between the Pyrrhura species d: that they may as well be simply different mutations as colour is the only difference. You interpreted it wrong, unless I decided to go loopy overnight :wacky:

Gizly

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chelsie
I had a pearly conure before I had Giz, he passed away when he was just two. He was a VERY typical Pyrrhura... Very nippy and beaky but very bonded to me and very affectionate. I loved him to bits but could have done without the extreme nippiness :p I'm wondering if it was partly due to him still being young still and going through a hard terrible twos.

So I was hoping for a more "laid back" Pyrrhura :p If that exists, haha! Don't get me wrong, I love their attitude and their feisty personalities, just wish they came without the beaking!

Thanks for everyone's input so far :)

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
I have a MBC and a Pearly and they are both feisty, nippy, mad things. Attention seeking to the max.

Titus wants to be directly in front of my face at all times, with me gazing lovingly at him, telling him how rad he is. If this isn't how it goes down, I get bitten. Magpie is super high energy, flying everywhere, getting in to everything, chewing on everything. Skin, wood, metal, plastic, fabric; you name it, she chews it. You cannot take your eyes off her.

So if laid back is your requirement, I'd avoid those 2 species :laugh:

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@22caity22 I didn't misinterpret anything, just clarifying for those reading this thread, and because I think it's important to know the distinction (being a science geek).

Have you looked in Rose-crowned conures, Chelsie? Not as flashy as say blue-throated conures, but I keep on hearing from people that they are more laid back :) Although I do think beaking/nippiness is pretty much unavoidable with the small conures, lol. I am acquainted with a pyrrhura breeder who claims that none of her birds bite, but I'm not sure I'd take her word on it - she rarely keeps birds into puberty. All three of my conures are very nippy (green cheek, black capped, painted). I'm not sure I can tell you which one is "less" nippy of the bunch, LOL. If I have to choose, I think perhaps Josie (green cheek) is most nippy. She's definitely the most "aggressive" and troublesome, haha.

Gizly

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chelsie
Thanks Angela! :) The main ones I've been looking into are rose crowns, crimson bellies, and blue throated. I found a breeder in Ontario that breeds roseifrons conures, so I started to look into them a bit too. Can't find a lot of information on blue throated and roseifrons, and they are a lot harder to find (as you know!). But what I've read about rose crowns and crimson bellies says they are more "laid back".

I can handle the nipping and beaking for sure, I did with Beau my pearly in the past. Any possible Pyrrhura I may get I would be prepared for lots of nippiness, just hoping for it on a lesser scale :p

Aequa

Real Name
Caity
@22caity22 I didn't misinterpret anything, just clarifying for those reading this thread, and because I think it's important to know the distinction (being a science geek).
I was simply illustrating to the OP there is no difference in personality between most Pyrrhura conures :) it is like the difference in personality between blue and green Quakers. It's all individual. Nothing to do with the actual science :) only using a metaphor to illustrate how similar they are :)

That said, rose crown conures are supposed to be more gentle. Though I have heard of people finding them no different to GCCs. Perhaps have a look at peach front conures, they are part of the Argentina genus but are the general size of Pyrrhuras but are apparently not so loud, being Argentina, they may bit be so nippy either. Worth a look!

Last edited:

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was simply illustrating to the OP there is no difference in personality between most Pyrrhura conures :) it is like the difference in personality between blue and green Quakers. It's all individual. Nothing to do with the actual science :) only using a metaphor to illustrate how similar they are :)
I get that, but I also said I was clarifying for the people also reading this thread... Not sure why you're ruffled by that, lol. Let's just leave it at this, shall we? :) Don't want to hijack the thread.

Aequa

Real Name
Caity
I get that, but I also said I was clarifying for the people also reading this thread... Not sure why you're ruffled by that, lol. Let's just leave it at this, shall we? :) Don't want to hijack the thread.
Not 'ruffled' just confused (;