• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

pvc

Status
Not open for further replies.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been doing alot of reading up on building a playgym for Hiram.I've saved some great ideas and pics too. takes me forever to decide.I read and read before doing something.One question I have is pvc poisonous to our parrots? I was reading an article where it said pvc can be posionous.I need your opinions. I've saved some great ideas I just want to make sure.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Personally, I avoid giving PVC to my birds whenever possible-- the only things that it's on are the ends of their rope perches and boings, but I watch those for chewing obsessively. According to the EPA, it releases a toxic fume when it is stressed or chewed. Here is a brief thread that touches on PVC from posts 3 to 5 I believe: http://forums.avianavenue.com/safety-avenue/17837-lexan-polycarbonate-bpa.html

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I remember seeing previously that the soft PVC is what is a problem, not the hard pipes. I don't have time to find it right now, but I'll look later.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
from my understanding the Pipes used for homes water are fine - those would be the Hard ones you'd get in the plumbing Isle.

its the "soft" pvc that isn't to be used with the birds, which I am thinking is what a lot of out side toys are made with (like the Ladder ball game my kids have it and its made from PVC, and the once piece on the bottom Broke very easily - just by one of the balls hitting it - that would of not happened if it was made from the same pipes used for our water)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
From my understanding its the soft PVC that you want to avoid. Hard PVC is safe.

Its what most water companies use for our drinking water, etc!

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks everyone :)Just want to be safe

zoomama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Do a search here on PVC gyms or PVC playstands. You'll see that tons of us have made them, along with instructions, ideas, pics etc. The only safety concerns I remember hearing about was 1) to sand the numbers/letters that are printed in ink on the pipe, and 2) when sanding, do that away from the birds so they don't breathe in the fine particles, and 3) you might want to cover it with vetwrap, hemp, etc., or put small scratches on it because it will be slippery for your bird. Good luck!

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I know that hard PVC is supposedly safe for water pipe purposes... but I haven't read anything about it being different from soft PVC when it is chewed or stressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.