• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Putting papers on the grate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I have decided to start putting papers on the grate (as well as putting papers in the tray). I find that even though Bokka will destroy his cage papers in less than an hour when motivated, it still helps keep the grate clean from poop.

Here is what Bokka typically does to paper:

Here is what it looks like now, lets see how it looks like now :) Im going to try this for a week and see how clean the grate is :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Typically you don't use a grate?

I have heard that in order for this to be *effective* with cockatoos, the tray should be at least 5 inches below the grate. This way they don't have access to the poopie papers..:p Personally, I don't mind washing a poopie grate.;)

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
First of all... how cute is he?!?! :heart:

I also started putting papers on the grate. I am LOVING it. I never did it before thinking that they would go down there and walk around in their poops and get filthy and/or rip it up. But neither Charles nor Lola do it. And it has made cage cleaning SOOO much easier!!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
First of all... how cute is he?!?! :heart:

I also started putting papers on the grate. I am LOVING it. I never did it before thinking that they would go down there and walk around in their poops and get filthy and/or rip it up. But neither Charles nor Lola do it. And it has made cage cleaning SOOO much easier!!
Don't be surprised if Lola *eventually* decides it's fun fun fun to go down there and shred.:p

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I have always used paper on the grates for Carlos and Mango. I was always afraid he would get hurt if he fell when he was a baby and just kept padding the bottom. Once in awhile he chews them but for the most part he doesnt, Mango chews them a little, not much. Tequila I have paper in the tray under the grate but just use white paper towel on the grate of his cage. I use unprinted newsprint, I put several layers and just peel the top couple sheets off when I clean their cages.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco

Don't be surprised if Lola *eventually* decides it's fun fun fun to go down there and shred.:p
Yes... I'm anticipating that :o: But for now it works really well. I've been changing the papers 2-3 times a day and it has not only been so easy but it has kept things very clean and tidy so far!! :D

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I started putting paper on the grate about 9 months ago. I have not had any problems with them bother it. They both love to chew up paper but leave the paper on the grate alone. I guess they dont want to walk around in poo anymore than we do :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Typically you don't use a grate?

I have heard that in order for this to be *effective* with cockatoos, the tray should be at least 5 inches below the grate. This way they don't have access to the poopie papers..:p Personally, I don't mind washing a poopie grate.;)

Oh I use the grate and tray :) In the last photo, that is of papers on the grate (the tray is underneath it and it also has papers). And the grate is 5" above the tray and he can still pull up the papers from the tray:o:

I dont mind washing a poopie grate(although I admit I dont like it), but my 'toos will always be determined to pull up their papers...:p:rolleyes: And since my 'toos seem to really LOVE paper, I've decided to put papers on the grate. Paper on the grate helps foot toys from falling to the grate too :)

Last edited:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I put papers on the grate in the male Cockatiels cage.. they shred the newspaper so it doesn't last long and I am having to change it all the time. The tray doesn't fit in properly and it is too small! :rolleyes:

I couldn't put newspaper on the grates in any of the other cages though, since most of the birds like shredding newspaper and I would be changing newspapers all the time throughout the day.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I put papers on the grate in the male Cockatiels cage.. they shred the newspaper so it doesn't last long and I am having to change it all the time. The tray doesn't fit in properly and it is too small! :rolleyes:

I couldn't put newspaper on the grates in any of the other cages though, since most of the birds like shredding newspaper and I would be changing newspapers all the time throughout the day.
Oh my 'toos LOVE to shred their papers whether on the grate or on the tray below the grate, they find a way to get to it.. even with a cage full of toys and goodies:D

But it keeps my boys (and girl!) occupied for a bit...:p:hehe:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh I use the grate and tray :) In the last photo, that is of papers on the grate (the tray is underneath it and it also has papers). And the grate is 5" above the tray and he can still pull up the papers from the tray:o:

I dont mind washing a poopie grate(although I admit I dont like it), but my 'toos will always be determined to pull up their papers...:p:rolleyes: And since my 'toos seem to really LOVE paper, I've decided to put papers on the grate. Paper on the grate helps foot toys from falling to the grate too :)
You really need to save up some money and purchase a custom EH cage.. one designed with Bokka's quirks in mind.:D

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

You really need to save up some money and purchase a custom EH cage.. one designed with Bokka's quirks in mind.:D
But how could you say "No" to something so squishy and...:heart:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I keep papers on the grate for hiram also and the tray.I stack alot of paper on the grate and just peel back the top when it needs cleaning.Makes cleaning easier for me too.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I keep papers on the grate for hiram also and the tray.I stack alot of paper on the grate and just peel back the top when it needs cleaning.Makes cleaning easier for me too.
I thought about doing that, but my 'toos poops can be..very poopy. Lots of poop. And I am sure it would go through many papers.:o: And Bokka would destroy them all in less than a day or two:o:p

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Papers on the grate for me.:highfive: I put a layer down, another layer that goes upward at the edges, then another flat one on top of that. I do not put anything in the tray. I just spray it and wipe out any feathers or whatever gets down in it. There usually is not much.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I put paper under the grate and on top of the grate.This works out great because it helps to keep the random poos that Skittles does to the side away from the hard to clean spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.