• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pully system for hanging cages

Krisrath11

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kris
Hi there, so I'm looking for a way to hang all my cages on the ceiling and am trying to find a way to put them on a pulley system so when I go in I can lower them easily for interaction, feeding cleaning ect. I have cats and I don't have central air so I'm very reluctant to put a window unit in their room. I've bought a screen but I don't trust my cat to not rip it open and try to get into the cages while I'm at work. The pulleys I've found u have to be able to reach the top for release which won't work since I want them as high to the ceiling as safely possible. Any ideas? I want something that has no way to be knocked over and they have nothing to climb on to get up there. The birds are all budgies by the way. Thanks

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Personally I would think twice about hanging them high up. Heat rises and ceiling may become way too hot for them… is there another room with a door that the kitties can be kept in?

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Confining the cats is also my suggestion.
No matter how high the cages, I wouldn't allow cats in the same room as my birds (especially unsupervised).

Also, you mention lack of central AC, so it sounds like you're concerned the bird room would overheat with its door closed?
Get a thermometer for that room which can alert at a set temperature, or that reports max temp during the previous 24hrs so you can monitor.

Krisrath11

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kris
Yes I'm worried they'll overheat as there's no central air. I'm afraid the air from a window unit would make them sick. It's not hit the high Temps yet and I'm gone during the hot season during the hot of the day so I can't be there to do anything unless there's something in place already. I will inevitably get to hot unfortunately

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Are you in an area with air that is toxic? Is that why you don't want a window unit?
I use a unit for my windows, and as long as your outside air is normal, there is no danger to the birds.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How big are the cages that they they could be suspended from the ceiling safely?

A wide free standing flight cage cannot be tipped over by a cat.

I've also used window units with my birds and never had an issue. Currently, there's no AC in that area of the house and we still manage. Central air isn't common in my area, especially in older houses. I've only ever had central in one of the places I've live over the past 12 years with birds.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I have an in-wall unit in Michael's room, and it has never been an issue either.

Krisrath11

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kris
I live in Missouri and no the air isn't toxic I just have never had a window unit when I've had birds so I was worried about the drafts of it. They're doing well without anything but it's getting hotter and I don't want them overheating while I'm at work. I'll try putting the ac in the window and try to point it away from them. They're free flight in their room currently so they'll be able to move around if they need to hide from it just don't want to kill them accidentally trying to keep them cool. I have an array of cages one that really is sturdy but cats can get their hands into anything including the cages. If I were to let the door open of course I would lock them up so they don't get hurt. I prefer them to be free as who wants to live in a cage all day when u don't need to? Should I keep it warmer like around 75 or so for them maybe? Just want them happy and to not be sweating myself when I'm in there as it's my happy place

Aviphile

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
DeeDee
I live in Missouri and no the air isn't toxic I just have never had a window unit when I've had birds so I was worried about the drafts of it. They're doing well without anything but it's getting hotter and I don't want them overheating while I'm at work. I'll try putting the ac in the window and try to point it away from them. They're free flight in their room currently so they'll be able to move around if they need to hide from it just don't want to kill them accidentally trying to keep them cool. I have an array of cages one that really is sturdy but cats can get their hands into anything including the cages. If I were to let the door open of course I would lock them up so they don't get hurt. I prefer them to be free as who wants to live in a cage all day when u don't need to? Should I keep it warmer like around 75 or so for them maybe? Just want them happy and to not be sweating myself when I'm in there as it's my happy place
Make sure that you keep that window unit clean because they can harbor all kinds of nasty stuff. By keeping it properly maintained you shouldn't have any problems.

Legionnaires disease has been tied to window AC units, every few years you will hear about an outbreak.

Lots of people get sick every year with was is known as 'Air Conditioner Lung' its a thing you can google it.

Krisrath11

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kris
Make sure that you keep that window unit clean because they can harbor all kinds of nasty stuff. By keeping it properly maintained you shouldn't have any problems.

Legionnaires disease has been tied to window AC units, every few years you will hear about an outbreak.

Lots of people get sick every year with was is known as 'Air Conditioner Lung' its a thing you can google it.

O man, I had no idea about this! I'm going to do a deep cleaning on the ones I have now! Thank u so much for the info!