• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Psittacosis Question...

fireball249

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I recently started having chest tightness and shortness of breath that has worsened and now includes chest pain as well as numerous arrythmias (Supraventricular Tachycardia, Tachycardia, Bradycardia-yes I know they are opposites I have them both, Premature Atrial Contractions, And now Premature Ventricular Contractions). Everything heart related is centered on the electrical circuits of my heart not working properly and getting overexcited. Is there any possibility that Psittacosis could cause this? When I first went to the doctor I had a minor dry cough that is not going away, I simply chalked it up to allergies. Could I have been mistaken and this all be related? I know they say that Psittacosis can cause cardiac issues but they don't specify what problems can occur. Anybody that might be able to help I'd really appreciate it. (I have another appointment Thursday I will be asking then!) Sorry for such a long post...

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
You give no other information on your health and health hx and please I am not asking for it. But the symptoms your are showing are often from other causes. The cough can be cardiac related. Psittacosis can be treated with a single by mouth antibiotic. Glad your are seeing your Dr to review all the information.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with Peggy. One thing that should be mentioned is that psittacosis usually presents with very similar symptoms of the flu.

fireball249

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Unfortunately I can't find much more information on the subject than that. Just hoping someone can broaden the description of "heart problems" caused by Psittacosis. Not even the peer journals say more:banghead:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
This is just conjecture but psitticosis is an infection. ANY infection if established can affect the heart and lining of the heart. There is nothing saying it specifically targets the heart though. Most commonly one sees strep affecting the heart especially with scarlet fever.

fireball249

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
So an infection is most likely to cause inflammation rather than overexcitable electrical signals. Jeez, for a lab tech you would think I'd remember that lol... Thanks for the reminder :bag: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Hey, no problem. If I am sick do not ask me any medical stuff about me as there is temporary amnesia LOL. Once I am over what ever it is my brain kicks in. Just get well and heal. Rooting for you.