• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Protecting Birds from Landing on Cages?

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I don't have a second bird yet, but before I even get there - how do I best protect my fully flighted budgies from landing on another bird's cage and getting bit?
After quarantine and gentle introductions, I would like to be able to have them in the same room (though not loose at the same time) so that I can interact with everyone and not leave someone alone in the other room.

Right now the budgies get covered by a smooth black bed sheet at night, but I completely remove it during the day because even rolling it back seems to leave the cage really dim inside.
I also don't want to leave cage covers accessible during the day because the birds could chew them.

I've been thinking when I get another bird - what about like a silicone mat laid on top, so if they landed on a cage their little toes would not curl in?
That would be easy to remove and clean.
Or .. plexiglass? That would still let plenty of light into the cage..

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I don't have a second bird yet, but before I even get there - how do I best protect my fully flighted budgies from landing on another bird's cage and getting bit?
After quarantine and gentle introductions, I would like to be able to have them in the same room (though not loose at the same time) so that I can interact with everyone and not leave someone alone in the other room.

Right now the budgies get covered by a smooth black bed sheet at night, but I completely remove it during the day because even rolling it back seems to leave the cage really dim inside.
I also don't want to leave cage covers accessible during the day because the birds could chew them.

I've been thinking when I get another bird - what about like a silicone mat laid on top, so if they landed on a cage their little toes would not curl in?
That would be easy to remove and clean.
Or .. plexiglass? That would still let plenty of light into the cage..
If you have a flat top to your cage, a relic sheet (plexiglass) will work great!

@saroj12 uses it on her cage tops

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
The one I am setting up is this style on top (cage itself is bigger/wider than this one)
So mostly flat! Not sure what I will do about the curved bits but I think they are less likely to try to land there.

1601322989869.png

Reactions: Ali

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Maybe not the best idea, but I just shoo mine off. One of my budgies in particular doesn't like humans, but he kinda enjoys it. The other budgie I have to peel him off :lol:My cockatiel doesn't like human parts so the same goes for him.:lol:It probably wouldn't be a good idea for a large or aggressive bird, but it works for my small, timid flock.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Piper has a sheet of polycarbonate over her dome-top cage. We cut it roughly to fit, drilled half a dozen holes around it, and secured it to the top of the cage with zip ties on the cage bars. If the product you use is flexible (and the cheaper options should be), you could easily cut it to the right dimensions, bend it over the curved bits, and secure it with zip ties and have it work just fine.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
There are trays on top of my cages, but I do have the occasional problem of someone clambering about on the sides of another bird's cage. My solution was to cut sheets of plastic hardware cloth and zip-tie them to the top edge of the cage. They hang down, and the natural curl prevents the cloth from laying flat against the bars, so it provides a nice buffer and neither bird can reach the other's toes.