• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Prospective Tiel Owner Questions

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cedar shavings are poisonous to birds, as far as I know. Stick with plain old newspaper. Roudybush is pretty affordable and pretty easily accepted. Drs Foster and Smith is having a sale on Roudybush Maintenance currently. I would recommend size "Mini" for cockatiels. Dragonwood perches are nice, as are manzanita and grapewood ones.

jeme3

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
You have gotten good advice about cages. Bigger the better! Flight cages, or double flights, are awesome. Get a good variety of natural wood perches of varying sizes.

I'm a teacher, so I'm home all day now for 7 weeks of summer, but during the school year I'm gone for close to ten hours most days. Cockatiels are flock birds. I have two so they can keep each other company. I recommend it. Most tiels are easy going and get along well, but it's not a guarantee. Definitely think about getting two, and if you are thinking of rescue/rehome you might be able to find two that are already used to being together.

I uncover their cage and feed them at about 7 AM as I'm getting ready to leave the house, then when I get home, they get out of the cage time and hang out with me for anywhere from an hour to two hours. I cover their cage and the go to sleep at 7 PM. On the weekends or when I'm home, the cage is open and we play, interact, hangout often throughout the day. They are very used to this routine and don't seem to mind when I'm gone at all. They have each other and lots of toys. Also, there a e people coming and going through out the day; my husband is retired but does a lot of volunteer work, and two of my three kids are in college and still live at home. They talk to the birds, but I'm the only one who takes them out of the cage.

Vet visits vary a lot depending on your location. My avian vet charges $49 for the office visit, full blood work ends up about $200 per bird, but he doesn't recommend that annually if everything is good.

Noise level is not a problem for me. I don't think of cockatiels as particularly loud. Mine welcome everyone back to the flock every time someone comes home, but it's a few quick squawks and not particularly loud. They don't scream just to hear themselves scream. Occasionally a few happy chirps, and Morton will sing periodically, but I find it pleasant and not too loud.

Sounds like you are on the right track for diet. My thoughts are that we actually know very little about avian nutrition, so variety is key. I feed them a little of everything. I buy most of my food through MSBS. The staple mixture I make consists of 4 lbs Volkman's Cockatiel mix, no sunflower, 1 lbs Caitec Oven Fresh Bites for small birds, 1 lbs Golden Gourmet A Taste of Australia, and 1 lbs Harrisons Lifetime adult superfine pellets. I mix those all up and freeze what doesn't fit in a container I have for the fridge. They get 2 tablespoons of that per day, separated into four different dishes placed throughout the cage.

Every day they get fresh green veggies- broccoli, spinach, chard, kale, brussel sprouts, green beans, beet greens, fennel, whatever we have. They also like shredded carrots. I chop up everything pretty small for them. they like fresh daily- I've tried premaking chop and freezing it, but they don't like it thawed. Along with their veggies they get a spoonful of Volkman Birdeez Buffet 15 minute Soak and Serve. I make that up in a batch to last about 5 days and keep refrigerated. They also get a spoonful of Volkman Fancy Soak and Simmer. I make about a half bag of that at a time and freeze in small containers that hold enough for about 5 days and move to the fridge as needed.

In the evening, they get a couple Nutriberries and Pelletberries each.

If I see another pellet or food that looks interesting, I'll give that a try, too. My birds are used to a huge variety and will try just about everything.

They also always have Herb Salad available, cuttle bone, and a manu mineral block.

My birds like any balsa or natural fiber chewable/shredable toys. There are usually about 6 to 10 in and on their cage. Once a week or so, I'll rotate toys around and take out a few and add a few new ones. Sometimes I'll take one out and put it back in in a week or two, sometimes they destroy them quickly. Favorites for my birds include small toys from Things For Wings, I Got A Woody, and The Best Bird Toys. They also like small Planet Pleasures toys a lot.

For the bottom of the cage I use plain white paper towels and change every day.

If you can find a rescue cockatiel or two, that would be great. There are so many that need homes.

I waited to respond until I had time to give a very thorough run down, I hope it's useful!

A lot of people think cockatiels are boring because they are relatively inexpensive and very common, but they are really awesome little buddies!

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sorry for the amount of questions guys... lol

As far as seed/pellet brands, I'd like quality at an affordable price, and preferably something that would make the introduction of new foods (say if the bird is on an all-seed diet) as painless as possible. Ive read alot about harmful dies and additives (especially if I decide to try sprouting) so want to avoid that. Any suggestions? I have already found a local source of nutriberries, and millet is readily available. Ill probably just use veggies I have around the house until I can gauge preferences.

And bedding/litter. Is newspaper still ok (id change once every one or two days)? Or is there a better option... cedar shaving etc.

Perches-i know to avoid dowel ones, so any specific brands? Or does it not really matter as long as the construction looks decent? And are cuttlebones still a viable option?

Andddd a book. The most important cockatiel book you could recommend for a new cockatiel owner. Call me old-fashioned, but grabbing a book off a shelf to get an answer has a certain satisfaction.

Thanks again everyone, I have been reading alot of threads and information in general, it's just nice to have several opinions!
Dowel perches in and of themselves aren't bad. It's having all dowel perches that's the problem. They are too uniform and put the same pressure points on a tiels feet which can lead to bumble foot, arthritis and other foot issues. A variety of types and different sizes (within the size for a tiel) is best. I have a dowel perch in my tiel's cage, but I also have natural wood and rope perches too.

I buy my seed online from My Safe Bird Store. I'm currently mixing two types together a Higgins cockatiel mix and a Volkman Avian Science cockatiel mix. I also feed pelletberries and nutriberries. And my tiel loves the Higgins Worldly Cuisine rice mixes. Plus veggies, etc. When picking a seed mix, it's best to get one that's mainly seed. They sell a lot of "pretty" seed mixes with different colored pellets, dried fruit, etc. I've found that most of the pellets in those types of mixes are too large and hard for a tiel to eat and my tiel ignores all the dried fruit, etc. So a lot goes to waste. A real seed mix seems to work best.

And I've not found a really good cockatiel book. There are some pretty basic ones out there by Animal Planet, etc. but all the ones I've seen are really like cockatiel 101 books. If others have found a good one, I'd like to get it too. :)

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
If you are in the U.S., petco has a cockatiel guide that is pretty good (there's only one at the store). We found Cockatiel Cottage, Cockatiels, basic care and general information on the cockatiel, cockatiel information, cockatiels basic care, diet, nutrition, pellet diets, health, illness, behavior, taming, behavior problems, biting, sickness, symptoms of a sick cockatiel, breeding,handfeeding, how to stop females from laying eggs, egg laying and single cockatiels, egg binding, broken blood feathers, blood feathers, baths and bathing, how to disinfect and clean a bird cage, symptoms of sick birds, screaming, feather plucking, normal and abnormal droppings, watery droppings, polyuria, molting, preening, bacterial infections, how to tell if your cockatiel is a male or female birds, gender determination of cockatiels, medical emergencies, bacterial infections, photographs of cockatiels, baby cockatiels, cockatiel pictures, cockatiel health problems, toxic plants, safe plants, safe woods for perches, household hazards, safety, emergencies, first aid,
recipes, cockatiel message board, lost and found bird classified ads, bird puzzles, pet names, Eleanor McCaffrey, Eleonore McCaffrey
to be the best resource, particularly when Buddy was going through a chronic laying phase.

In terms of food, you may have to crumble the nutriberries to get your 'tiel to eat them, at least at first. Buddy doesn't like them, and only goes after pellets the size of millet. It's actually pretty funny to see her grab a pellet, make a "but that's not what I want" face, and then eat it anyway.

In terms of perches, we have a couple of natural wood perches, and a booda rope perch. Buddy likes both of them, and they are easy to take care of. For bedding, use newspaper if you buy a cage with a seed grate (which you should). Cut a stack of newspaper to size, and through out the top every day (make certain that you shake out the tray for stray seeds. If your 'tiel has a bath day where she spills water everywhere, then you probably should ditch the stack. Don't waste your money on cage liners, and I've never heard anything good about litter.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
HQ Double Flight Bird Cage 64x21 - by BirdsComfort.com

No way this is the same cage... or shipping costs are outrageous.
It weighs 100 pounds and has to come in two boxes... so yes, shipping is outrageous :)

Sorry for the amount of questions guys... lol

As far as seed/pellet brands, I'd like quality at an affordable price, and preferably something that would make the introduction of new foods (say if the bird is on an all-seed diet) as painless as possible. Ive read alot about harmful dies and additives (especially if I decide to try sprouting) so want to avoid that. Any suggestions? I have already found a local source of nutriberries, and millet is readily available. Ill probably just use veggies I have around the house until I can gauge preferences.

And bedding/litter. Is newspaper still ok (id change once every one or two days)? Or is there a better option... cedar shaving etc.

Perches-i know to avoid dowel ones, so any specific brands? Or does it not really matter as long as the construction looks decent? And are cuttlebones still a viable option?

Andddd a book. The most important cockatiel book you could recommend for a new cockatiel owner. Call me old-fashioned, but grabbing a book off a shelf to get an answer has a certain satisfaction.

Thanks again everyone, I have been reading alot of threads and information in general, it's just nice to have several opinions!
If you have a bulk food store (or even something like Whole Foods), you can make your own sproutable mix. My mix has white millet, red millet, canary seed, nyger seed, barley, buckwheat, whole wheat berries, flax seed, and sunflower seed. It is all human grade, some organic, and it is maybe $2 a pound. Tropican Lifetime Granules and Zupreem Naturals are two cheaper pellet brands, and you can usually find them at big stores like Petsmart. Lafeber's pellets and Roudybush are also quite affordable. Nutriberries are excellent for transitioning seed addicts, since they're hulled, meaning that unlike seed mixes, the vitamin coating is consumed and not just tossed with the shells :) Some of them are also formulated with pellets, fruit, and so on. They are pricy though!

I use newspaper - but I use a thicker type from a local photography paper. I take the leftover issues from the previous month(s). Some also use butcher paper or plain unprinted newspaper. I would not use any kind of litter or wood chips - it makes it too hard to see any changes in droppings and is much more labor intensive to clean.

My tiels love any kind of perches they can pick the bark off - I have chunky willow, maple, apple wood, and grapewood perches. They also love platform perches - I have a basswood platform and a cork bark platform perch from T4W which they love. If you have any trees in your yard, or neighbors/friends with trees, you can take cuttings and make your own perches, as long as the wood has never been sprayed with pesticides and such and is thoroughly cleaned. Make sure you use stainless or nickel plated hardware - no zinc.

Ryan91

Moving in
Real Name
Ryan
Thanks again everyone! We're starting the move this week, so once everything's settled in the new house I'll confirm there's space for the double flight and order. By the time it arrives all the fumes from cleaning will have dissipated and hopefully I'll have found a tiel to adopt.

I contacted a few people that have them up for adoption but so far no replies, guess it just takes time.

When I do prepare my feed mix, what would be the best way to introduce it? One element at a time, or all together? Should I see if he'll eat it or first, or keep his old regular food available? I'll probably wait until he's eating the new mix steadily before trying any veggies and such.

I like the idea of creating my own perches. I guess a screw through the end and a few washers with a wingnut would work? I'll be sure to quarantine them for awhile to kill any bugs and such.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think it's best with a new bird to let him continue to eat the food he's used to eating and then gradually switch over. You can offer veggies, etc. right away but don't completely take his old food away. For instance, Sunny came to us on a cheap seed mix. Initially I let him eat it and then started adding the better quality seed mix in and mixing together, increasing the amount until I eliminated the old mix entirely. A tiel will starve itself if it doesn't recognize what you're giving him as food.

As for natural perches, there are things to do to treat the branches and you have to be careful what type of wood to use. I think there's a post on it somewhere. I'll try to find it.

jeme3

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
Some birds will starve before eating something new, so be careful and observe how much your bird eats. Some birds will dive right in to new things, you just never know.

To start with, I would make sure there is plenty of whatever they bird is used to, and Like sunnysmom said, gradually start mixing in what you want to convert to. But watch carefully that your bird is eating enough! Crumbling the Nutriberries at first is a great way to encourage your bird to eat them.

Offer lots of fresh veggies right from the start. Pepper took right to eating fresh foods, but she was a baby when I got her. Morton had been on an all seed diet for a couple years when I got him. I discovered if I chopped veggies really small and sprinkled millet in with the veggies, he'd go in to pick out the millet, but pretty soon he was sampling the veggies, too. Didn't take log to convert him at all!

Be patient, and try lots of things, but I would introduce new foods and what you would like the bird to eat as soon as possible, always making sure there is plenty of food that is recognizable available.

retajomi3

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tayla
Hey, I have one rehome bird and he started out a hardcore biter (who came with a sweetheart with broken hips), a marketplace bird who hates people and hands and a baby from a breeder, who isn't sure she's a bird. Know what you're getting into, every bird is different :)

As far as perches go, I have a couple dowel perches, and home made ones I have hacked out of native trees and cleaned thoroughly, my babies prefer the gumtree ones.

For litter, as I have a grate/guard thing, I use newspaper and change daily.

Noise level is high in my house with two males and a female, contact calls and total freakouts can be ear piercing. My boys don't know when to settle down, and early in the morning is apparently the BEST time to scream extra loud :bash: but that's birds for you :hehe: They also LOVE having the radio on, Bazza has been singing along to Triple J all day, and has actually picked up the rhythm of this one really popular song (he sounds absolutely horrible doing it, but if he likes it, I really can't do anything about that).

Our eating habits are a bit dodgy at my house, as my 3 are the fussiest birds on the block, who occasionally enjoy veggies on the coffee table, so long as they're smothered in millet :rolleyes:

Ryan91

Moving in
Real Name
Ryan
Thanks again everyone. I think I'm pretty much out of questions at this point (finally, i know) and will post updates in this thread (cage assembly, setup, bringing home birdie, etc.) as they occur. I'll probably be pretty busy getting settled in the new place, so it may be a few weeks.

One thing I was wondering about though: I have read from several sources that cookware lined with teflon can be harmful to birds if it is overheated. Just clarifying, is it only dangerous if it is OVERHEATED as in I leave it on the stove on high for some hair-brained reason, and if there was food in the pan it would be burnt? Or should I just forget about teflon? The cage will be in another room, and I always cook with the stove vent on anyway. It's not that I'm not willing to adapt, just want to be prepared if I need to refuse any housewarming gifts.

Thanks again!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I believe it's only dangerous if it overheats but the problem is accidents happen so it's best not to use Teflon at all. I believe the majority of us here, if not all, have eliminated our Teflon pans. Also, no burning candles, air fresheners, etc.