• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Proper Raising

Zulal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zulal
@berries I kind of figured you somehow knew what to do based on what you said. :)

Sadly, ringnecks and macaws both get this label to a high degree which it's really them trying to communicate with us without actually biting... but when we ignore this behavior, it can, and does, lead to actual biting.
Hello can you tell me more about this, I have 6 weeks old baby ringnecks and keeping them both which I don’t yet know their gender, and I want to train them the right way, so I want to know what should and should not be done, also if you know anything about potty training I would appreciate if you could share that aswell. By the way doesn’t biting mean they dont want something?, so how can you train that behaviour, shouldn’t you stop doing that. But your also saying that you could train them, does that mean that they accept the things they dont like overtime, once they are trained?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
This thread for a variety of sources for training

This page for "bluffing"

I don't really potty train, but you can put your bird back on or in their cage every 10-20 minutes to allow them to go to the bathroom and pick them back up after they go. You don't want to train it too strictly as you may teach a bird not to go unless you tell them to which can cause health issues.

Biting can be done out of fear, curiosity, a hard communication, etc.

If a bird is biting out of fear, you need to figure out why they are afraid and teach them to not be afraid.

There could be some 'resource guarding' as well, which could be over food, cage, toys, or even a person. How one approaches this may depend on the situation.

If a bird is curious, you redirect to appropriate toys.

If the bird is trying to communicate then yes, you would respect their wishes but also work on teaching them how to do the behaviors you want them to do.