• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Prominent chest bone sticking out ?

Sheba

Meeting neighbors
(NOT AS IF IN LIKE OUT OF HIS SKIN , BUT IT IS REALLY SHARP AND HARD TO TOUCH)

I am sorry if this isnt the right threat , this is my first attempt at using a forum and I am really worried about my budgie's health and my anxiety attack is not helping me in the slightest .

I will be taking him to a vet if it is anormal but I couldnt really find anything on internet ..? But he seems energetic and happy as always .

Not the keel bone's itself (Might be any other bone or something else but my guess is keel bone(apex carinae)) I know if its prominent and sharp it means the bird is underweight and might be ill . But the keel bone as a whole is normal , not sharp , not sticking out , just the top edge of it ; it is unusually prominent and sharp in my opinion ? ONLY the top edge , and I dont think it was like this before at all . And I had another budgie(Cingöz) before this , I had him for 5 years and he didnt have this bone being this prominent . Thats why it is making me worried .

Çimen is a around 8 months old , used to human touch and really energetic . He plays and eats , so I wasnt that worried about it . *However last night around 5 am he was coughing i think? (I was studying and wasnt asleep so the noise he wad making wasnt loud at all) I couldnt really understand what he was doing , but think something like the movement of of a budgie puking, but does it only once and stops ?

He isnt doing that at the moment anymore , stopped doing it around 12 pm which was when I woke up . I got up and checked its chest to see if it had a lump or anything , upon really close inspection I felt the "keel bone" , and it alerted me .

Before noticing "the prominent thing" was actually his 'keel bone' I thought he had something stuck in his i dont know,,, throat or something for a second..? But I am really sure its his keel bone now . He did crash agaisnt some walls and windows when he was first learning to fly around the house but didnt seem injured or shaken at all after that ? I am really confused .

He is on a seed diet but I am really trying to feed him boiled eggs and some vegetables/fruits etc. He isnt really loving it but I will keep trying because I know it is the healthy way.

In summary ;
-Only the upper EDGE of 'keel bone' is really prominent , not the whole bone
-seed diet
-8 months old
-sort of coughing (?)*

Please tell me im the comments(?) if it means something is wrong because I am really confused ..?? I have never came agaisnt something like this before. And I have my university entry exams this week , a really stresfull week is ahead of me , so if something is wrong I need to re-schedule my week around to take him to a vet , so PLEASE tell me if you know something :( I am already anxious about tons of personal things happenning around me and with the addition of this topic I cant even breath properly because of my anxiety attacks anymore...

Sheba

Meeting neighbors
Also sorry for all the typos Ive done I feel really bad mentally right now

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Can you take a picture of what you are seeing please? It will help us to help you and your budgie.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do you have a photo by any chance?

Sheba

Meeting neighbors
I have a video , took a screenshot , hopefully you can see the bump ? I am also really sorry for the way I held down my budgie I usually never hold him like that but there really was no other way for me to take a photo/video of him without him escaping . I was gonna take a photo but I gave the phone to my grandma , she accidentally took a video instead,,.. it is really blurry I am afraid. 20220616_180530.jpg

Sheba

Meeting neighbors
Do you have a photo by any chance?
Also the bump is not soft at all , I am not sure if I mentioned it , so i dont think it is a tumor or somethinf because it is as hard as a bone .

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That's definitely concerning looking! I'm honestly not sure what that is from this angle. @Ripshod ?

Sheba

Meeting neighbors
That's definitely concerning looking! I'm honestly not sure what that is from this angle. @Ripshod ?
Upon even more research and inspection I think it might be this bone ? Maybe ...? Why would it stick out like thst though ???? Did he break a bone or dislocated it somehow ??? 20220616_191516.jpg

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I can't say I've ever seen this before, but I can say I've never looked for it.
As he appears to be energetic and happy I'd naturally assume he is healthy.
Your situation, given your anxiety, means I can only suggest that a vet visit would be the only sure way to answer your question and put your mind at rest. Vet visits can be good for us humans too ;)

Sheba

Meeting neighbors
I can't say I've ever seen this before, but I can say I've never looked for it.
As he appears to be energetic and happy I'd naturally assume he is healthy.
Your situation, given your anxiety, means I can only suggest that a vet visit would be the only sure way to answer your question and put your mind at rest. Vet visits can be good for us humans too ;)
I dont know :( there are no avian vets in my country so all I can do is to take him to a normal vet after my graduation tomorrow and pray that they know what they are doing. Most of the time they prescribe medicine without even looking at the pet... I hate them so much like just say "I dont know" instead of giving bad advice and medicine ... I have been crying for 2 whole days out of stress I am such an emotional mess ugh. Anyways thank you for your attention :" . I hope I can figure something out ... please notify me again if you have any more information about this...

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I honestly think this is nothing to worry about. Managed to examine Silva just now and he has a similar protrusion that's just in the right position to be the cervical rib you pointed out, more prominent with the neck extended. His isn't as prominent as Çimen's but it is clearly visible.
I wouldn't worry about it so long as Çimen is behaving normally.

Sheba

Meeting neighbors
Ah thank you very much for answering again <3 !!! But Çimen's is so prominent that you can easily feel it and even sometimes see it ; also he sometimes has a little problem breathing and sorta gags for no reason , that is whats worrying me :/ again I am really gratefull to all of you for answering ! I will try to keep you guys updated on the situation .

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I really can't offer any advice that would directly answer your questions. I'm neither able to examine your bird personally nor diagnose. All I've said above is all I can see in my own (very peeved) budgie.
Budgies frequently stretch and adjust their crop - something that could be misinterpreted as gagging.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I believe there are online avian vets who could take a look at your bird via zoom.

Sheba

Meeting neighbors
Ok so I went to a vet faculty (even though they arent avian vets they still have more experience and more equipment compared to a normal vet in here) they examined him in there : they said and I quote ;

"Since he is young and since the bump is quite hard we dont think it is a tumor or something similar , plus he seems quite healthy , he can fly he eats and play and his feces are healthy too . It is probably his keel bone since it doesnt move around and it cant be his cervical rib because it would be at the back of his neck and would probably move around when we examined it . As we said , its probably his keel bone, maybe it moved around and changed its position a little after he bumped agaisnt the window but it probably doesnt posses a danger since its been a week after his incident and he seems healthy and happy, plus since he is too young to gain some weight its edge might be showing up a bit too much . If he starts having problems like not being able to fly right or any signs of illness or if the bump starts getting bigger bring him back and we will see what we can do . But he will most likely be fine and if he gains some weight the edge wont show up as much ."

So I think he is okay for now ? I am still on alert and a kinda paranoid but for now they said there is nothing they can do since there are no symptoms of damage, illness or something .

They also said they could take an x-ray thing of his bones if we are really worried want to be totally sure but they didnt recommend it unless necesarry since he might get a heart attack out of fear . So I refused but thinking back now maybe I should have ..? Or maybe I am being paranoid ..?? Or maybe extra safe ..???? Ugh maybe I am just exaggerating it I dont know anymore , but its probably fine right ?

Sheba

Meeting neighbors
Here after a long while, he gained a little bit of weight and he is fine now, nothing to be worried about : ).