• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Project Snowball

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I didn't realize Syrian hamsters got as large as my daughters hamster is. Snowball has grown out of her 20G long tank. I decided, since I only have 8 guppies left, to switch tanks with her and give her my 60G. It was not an easy task to take down and disinfect, but the result is one very happy, spoiled Snowball. :)

Here she is filling her cheeks as usual.

This is the sandbox she likes to roll around and dig in and also her bed box in the back. The bed box is deeper and has softer bedding. She burrows all the way down in it. It's so cute.

I think it's still unfinished. I think it may need a platform or loft -and more toys. Lots and lots more toys. My daughter thinks I'm nuts. :D

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looks like fun :elmo:

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
If you can, I'd layer that wheel with chloroplast, cardboard, or something so there aren't any holes to prevent possible injury. I have almost all of those toys, toys made for small animals are just too cute!

I think my syrian is rather large, but maybe I just had small hamsters when I was younger. They're cute! Snowball is a cute name for her :xflove:

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
The mesh wheel is temporary. I have to order a new plastic one online because I'm having no luck finding one at the store that's big enough for her. :)

You can see why she needed a bigger one. Her cheeks are stuffed with food in this pic LOL.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
The mesh wheel is temporary. I have to order a new plastic one online because I'm having no luck finding one at the store that's big enough for her. :)

You can see why she needed a bigger one. Her cheeks are stuffed with food in this pic LOL.
Ha-ha! Amazon has pretty good prices on wodent wheels or silent spinners. Depends on if noise is important to you. I use a 12" silent wheel, because I don't like the noise.

If you have a mom n pop pet store I'd ask them to order you one you want, they probably can to avoid shipping cost.

Let me rephrase: amazon usually has decent prices.

Last edited:

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Also, petco does free shipping from time to time. Today is free shipping with the right coupon and their 12" flying saucers are on sale for $11.99. Good deal.

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Are those flying saucer things as good as a regular wheel? Those I've run into at the store but since I've never seen them used I wasn't sure if it was a good alternative to the mesh wheel.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Are those flying saucer things as good as a regular wheel? Those I've run into at the store but since I've never seen them used I wasn't sure if it was a good alternative to the mesh wheel.
Some people advise having both types if you're going to use that kind of wheel. I personally don't see that great a difference. All I had to do was hold a treat in front of my syrian and he got the hang of it quickly. I don't have any videos of my hamster using one but youtube probably does. Your cage is big enough it'll fit. I think that's the biggie why a lot of people don't use them: large floor space required. If you have a large enough cage it's not a problem.

Unless you have a hamster that turns out to be picky about her wheel :lol: