• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Probiotics - When do you give them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Just curious. I know a lot of people give probiotics during medications, but I was wondering if there was anyone that gives them all the time or not. Do you think it is beneficial to have a probiotic supplement regardless of health or medications? Or is it a waste of money unless they "need" them. I have heard it takes several weeks for them to build up, so I think being proactive about it in case something happens where they do need medicine would give them the upper hand.

Coco's Momma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Robin
To date, everything I have read on probiotics have agreed on two things 1) if given, they should be given all the time, and 2) the source of the probiotics must be avian (preferably psittacine) in order to be of any benefit so that they are able to take hold and populate in the bird's digestive system. I personally do not give them to my birds, but I am sure there are many who do. If I had a bird with chronic health issues, I would definitely consider finding a quality avian source and making it a regular part of that bird's diet.

Last edited:

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I started giving them to Olive pretty much right when I got her. She was molting and had undergone a lot of stress, and I knew pionus were prone to health problems. I give them daily and will probably for the rest of her life, so any other birds that live with me will probably get them as well. It can't hurt and very likely might prevent minor bacterial overgrowths and that sort of thing. Anything I can do to prevent the use of antibiotics is worthwhile IMO.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
I am not sure about dosing all the time?

The only time I have given Acidophilus yogurt.
Has been after one of the birds had been on a course of antibiotics, as this leaves the gut clear of all bacteria, good and bad, so dosing with a probiotic helps bring up the good bacteria.
My AV seems to think there is no difference between using acidophilus yogurt and the expensive caps marketed for birds. except the way it is presented and the extreme difference in cost.
I gave Henry three drops a day for a few days after his antibiotic course was finished, via a syringe.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I give probiotics daily during and after a regimen of antibiotics and weekly on a regular basis.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
I introduced it to chaz after his course of antibiotics earlier this year. Now I think it must be of some help and they all get it in their diet once a week on a regular basis. Just think it cannot hurt and may do a lot of good.:)

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Question for everyone that uses them do you keep them refrigerated? I ask this because I am a buyer for a food manufacturer and I buy enzymes (probiotics) all the time. I attended a seminar a couple of days ago and all of the speakers were food scientists. They were discussing the viability of of the enzymes and one thing that is crucial is that it be refrigerated unless it is in some type of host (milk is one) to keep it viable. On a side note man are those little organisms expensive! Depending on what one and how many per million they can cost up to $1000 a pound!

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I do keep mine refrigerated. Mine has a prebiotic and maltodextrin in it as "food" for the bacteria.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Matodextrin is one of the bigger carriers for a lot of things in the food industry. I buy it by the 42,000 pound truck load every few weeks :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
I got some avian probiotics when Dexter had a mild yeast overgrowth to build his immune system. Conveniently (though unfortunately) Darwin had just finished a couple rounds of antibiotics, so we gave the probiotics to them both, once a day for a month or so. Now I add it to their chop in the morning every few days, to use up the rest of what we have left.... and it is probably good for them anyway.
I also keep in in the fridge.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I hide some in my guys soft food, probably once a week

JP

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I keep mine in the fridge and sprinkle it on their food once a day

MissEdie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Edie
Can you get them at the pet store? like pet smart or pet supplies plus?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have used probiotics right off the drugstore shelf (very expensive and hard to find powder), but as a general rule I buy AviBios by Avitec. It says to store in a dry cool place, so I keep it in a cabinet that is against the outside wall. Refrigerators aren't very dry.

I like to buy Avitec when I can, because when I volunteered at a sanctuary, Avitec was very generous with it's contributions.

BirdsFTW

Real Name
Maya
I give Mika and Raptor the Avitech probiotics daily.

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
I use a locally manufactured one from a company called Vetafarm. Active ingredients include Lactobacillus acidophilus; L. delbrueckii subspecies bulgaricus; L. plantorum; L. rhamnosus; Bifidobacterium bifidum; Enterococcus faecium; and Streptococcus salivarious subspecies thermophilus. My AV is fairly neutral on the subject of Probiotics. In his opinion, they are very useful in re-establishing healthy gut flora after a course of antibiotics, but there have not been enough independent studies done to prove how beneficial they may be if your bird is already on a healthy diet. However, he also holds the view that giving them to my birds will not harm them. His recommendation was to use them twice a week in their drinking water which I do. I've never seen Avitech products on this side of the Pacific. While I could ship it over $8 suddenly becomes $50. Probiotics are about the only supplement I use these days after having done the conversion to pellets. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.