• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Princess parrots as pets???

galah!

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pia
I am currently looking at birds that might make a wonderful pet (as in cuddly and gentle natured) I have narrowed it down to Galahs, Kakarikis and Princess Parrots. could you recommend their pros and cons? didn't know where else to post this kind of Question.
Thanks Guys :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
They have not been on in a few years, but you could look at @Stevo and @~birdybea~ 's threads as they have/had a princess parakeet.

NK_717

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I'm pretty curious too. I met two Princess Parrots at a walk-in aviary at our zoo briefly- they flew off before I could really interact with them.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I have friends that used to breed the Princess parakeet and they could not say enough good things about them. I was not looking to get one and they were not trying to sell them to me. They just said they were fun birds that stayed tame and were better than rosellas. I have met several older ones and I have to say that I love the noise. Not sure quite how to describe other than a soft sing song voice. Of the three you listed, the galah seems to me to be the most affectionate. Also the loudest, messiest and expensive.

galah!

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pia
Thanks Javi!:)
that's great advice on Galahs and i'll have to second that, are princess parrots cuddly to some level? could you expand on Princess Parrots as pets? ;)

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I wish I did have some first hand experience with pet ones. All I know is that my friend loved them.

galah!

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pia
thanks anyway, i'm thinking Kakariki or Princess parrot, ALL info guys hit me with your best shot!:roflmao:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

galah!

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pia
yeah, i guessed as much:wacky:, it seems the same with Kakarikis too (they're from New Zealand)

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I think they are similar to Bourkes? @Just-passn-thru has a couple of those I believe. My understanding is that they are not generally inclined towards human interaction, but are quite placid and sweet natured. You would want to get a pair if you wanted to go down this route.

Kakarikis are beautiful. Very zippy little guys, so they need a good amount of out time and a big cage with plenty of room to flap about. An aviary would be ideal. Like the princess parrot, I don't think that they tend towards being hands on birds, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't make good pets. I've toyed with the idea of getting some myself.

galah!

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pia
thanks Lunalovebird!
i met a kakariki in my local Pet City that was very sweet, he jumped all over me, a little scared of hands, as you said but a real sweety:xflove:.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I've always thought they had very kind little faces. :)

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I think they are similar to Bourkes? @Just-passn-thru has a couple of those I believe. My understanding is that they are not generally inclined towards human interaction, but are quite placid and sweet natured. You would want to get a pair if you wanted to go down this route.

Kakarikis are beautiful. Very zippy little guys, so they need a good amount of out time and a big cage with plenty of room to flap about. An aviary would be ideal. Like the princess parrot, I don't think that they tend towards being hands on birds, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't make good pets. I've toyed with the idea of getting some myself.
I have a pair of Australian red rumps, the males are colorful at maturity they get a red back,mostly sold in bonded pairs. Sweet little guys, they have a lovely song. They are a species of Grass parakeets like the Rosie Bourkes, bigger than a budgie and smaller than a Cockatiel, in between. Bourkes are passive the red rumps have a tendency to be ageressive.
20160801_203934.jpg 20170401_094647.jpg

Last edited:

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I have a pair of Australian red rumps, the males are colorful at maturity they get a red back,mostly sold in bonded pairs. Sweet little guys, they have a lovely song. They are a species of Grass parakeets like the Rosie Bourkes, bigger than a budgie and smaller than a Cockatiel, in between. Bourkes are passive the red rumps have a tendency to be ageressive.
View attachment 249324 View attachment 249325
That's right! I couldn't remember which it was.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I've heard only good things about them as pets (when handfed anyway) - but they aren't cuddly birds so if that really matters, they might not be the bird for you. They have gentle, friendly personalities, but are just not very cuddly by nature. Not that they won't want to be handled and get a few scritches, but they aren't going to enjoy being petted or snuggled. On the other hand, the more snuggly species, like cockatoos, tend to be far more demanding of attention and difficult.

Ashnic

Meeting neighbors
Late reply. I have just joined, and I want to gloat about my Prince
I have only great things to say about my Prince.
Purchased him on a whim with no research. Was very disappointed that he would never let me touch him, very timid, was very frustrating, no matter how much time and apple I used
I then did A LOT of research, and they hate being touched, like not even a finger. Once I understood that it wasn't me, and he came round. Took about 6 months. I did all the right things, didn't let him on my shoulder, lots of food bribes, quiet rooms. He would always just sit looking terrified. I then bit the bullet and put him on my shoulder and did everything with him there. That's when be cane around. He was sold as a handraised baby. When he was actually 18months and terrified. (Ignorant me) Came around at about 2yo when he matured.
Absolute goof, happiest bird I have ever had. Loves to Play in his fake tree, hop all over me, chirp and give kisses. He has never bitten, no matter what.
Still a bit flighty and timid.
Very loud, but it's a lovely noise. Cute chatter and chirpy. Very pretty. I don't like noisey birds but I like his. Needs a huge cage for say a grey, or Amazon due to very long tail. I had to hand make a play stand as his was always too long for the store bought
As I'm writing this, he is playing in the throw sheet, nibbling every crease. Just found his foot, he's like omg look at this foot, how good is this foot