• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Princess parrot friend

Kez001

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Keri
Hi all,

I have two Princess parrots, one is a lovely green girl named Kiwi who was aviary raised and I recently purchased a young white female, named Koko who was handraised. I cannot get either of my girls to eat fruit or veges, they love the seed and the fruit and nut mix they get but won't eat fresh stuff. Any recommendations on how to get them to eat it? Photos of my two girls below :) I only picked up Koko a few days ago, the breeder did a real number on clipping her wings...something I dont do. He cut them back way to far.

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They are very pretty. My tiels love freeze dried vegetables. Have you tried those? They retain 98% of nutrients

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you tried making chop?

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I love Princess parrots! I quite like the white ones. Your two are beautiful!
What ways have you tried already?

Kez001

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Keri
I've tried cutting into small pieces, putting different ones on a skewer, putting large pieces in for them to nibble on but nothing appeals to them. My conure is exactly the same, I posted about her on another thread. The two handraised I know were definitely fed fruit and veges very early on and upon pick-up they told me what they fed etc. But they don't want to anymore it seems. The aviary raised princess has never touched it. Loves her seed and especially the seed and honey treat bars, but no fruit

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Beautiful girls! :swoon:

Try offering the vegetables earlier in the day. For breakfast. Remove the seed while you offer the fresh. If they don´t take to it within 20-30 minutes, swap back to the seeds so they don´t go hungry.
I would remove the honey treats for a few weeks while you try to get them eating the vegetables.