• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Princess of Wales Parakeet

helloyo53

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Brandon
Hi everyone.

Okay, I don't actually have a PWP, but there is one at my pet store that has been there for probably over 7 months, and I want it so bad. It's sad seeing it there all the time. :(

Anyway, I am wanting to save up enough money to buy it. So, I am wondering if anyone on here has one. If so, what are some general care tips for them? I know the cage they need has to be at least 18 inches deep as they have long tails, and they are a seed and fruit eating bird. But that's about all I know. So if someone on here has one, could you please give me some tips for if I ever get it?

Thanks so much.

PS~Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I wasn't sure which one this bird would fit under. :o:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I don't have one but I worked with them at the zoo and I have a REgent Parrot who actually reminds me of them. The ones I worked with were mild and easy going. They weren't super loud and were really neat birds. They are difficult to find in my area.

vmorrison

Meeting neighbors
I have a female Princess of Wales Parakeet and she's been a member of my flock for about 10 years. She was part of a breeding pair but she lost her mate so she's had pet status since then. While mine is not hand tame, she's wonderfully interactive and not very noisy. Every once in a while, she will let out a shrill call but it's over and done within 30 seconds.

The cage is use is 3' long x 2' high x 2' wide. PWP can be active so they need space to move around when they are in their cage. Mine will eat just about anything I put in her food dish but her very favorites are homemade birdie bread and figs.

Age-wise, I would guess mine is between 12 and 14. She and her mate were given to me and they were not babies when I got them.

platinum

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sharon
Hi everyone.

Okay, I don't actually have a PWP, but there is one at my pet store that has been there for probably over 7 months, and I want it so bad. It's sad seeing it there all the time. :(
That's so weird. There's one at the pet store we go to as well. She's adorable, and actually pretty tame. I've been tempted to scoop her up a few times.

AkCrimson

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Hillari
Was this by chance a PetCo? Ours was stuck there for 8 months!!! They wanted 800 for her:eek: Eventually, after 8 months, she dropped down to 200 so we got her.

Bailey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
I am reviving this thread because I saw a Princess of Wales Parakeet yesterday and I am fascinated with them now! I want to know their personality and diet and all! I can see one in my very distant future. Tell me tell me tell me everything you know!

The World Wide Web doesn't have too much information on them.

fauxbird

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Suzanne Handel
i have a princess of wales parakeet for six years named pikachu,he was sold to me as a lutino but I have found out that he is what aussies call a lime im thinking we may call them pastel,females are pretty quite but do have a loud contact call its deep though not high pitched,males on the other hand if you live in an apartment I would not suggest as they sing and are quite loud I can hear Pikachu outside in the back yard at times though to his credit he is right in front of the window,i should say small window as we are in a basement apartment but since I live with inlaws no worries to be honest they have never even mentioned the noise and I know I can here him a bit in their livingroom,but keep in mind he does not sing all day long nonstop it's morning when he's uncovered the afternoon than early evening,he eats parakeet sized tropican pellets and some cockatiel seed eats sprouts a little fruits and veggies,these are not a cuddly species and that's fine with me if I want to cuddle I have hubby or the dog well mostly the dog,he is my hangout buddy and loves bells plastic straw and shredding toys,when handfed you can touch them a bit but they are not like say a greencheek they can learn to talk a little Pikachu never has,the reason this species is not cuddly is unlike other species is they are not alopreeners they do not preen each other,if you want to hear the sounds they make look the species up on youtube there's even a few talker's listed,they need a good sized cage as they are long think cockatiel with really long tail males are body to tail 18inches long,i like this species so much I just got a male rock pebbler parakeet but if you would like anymore info just ask:)

Last edited:

Hofstadter

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ред
800 for a princess!!

Down here they are 70-90. I guess thats because they are native. Im actually getting one in november. They seem to be quite chill birds. At the pet store they dont really care how close you are, theyre just totally relaxed.