• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Preening turns into pinching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex92

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Alex
So Leela has started to preen me and I am ok with that. However after a while she starts pinching my neck, not like big pinches but little tiny pinches. They don't hurt terribly, but it does get annoying after a while. I have like 5 little swollen "zit like" pinches on my neck now. I have moved her away and all that good stuff. I love the preening, but the pinches hurt after a while lol

She doesn't mean to hurt me. Just that beak is sharp lol

Anyone else have this issue, and how do you take care of it. (now she is licking me) lol

Coco's Momma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Robin
Although it is like pinching, to her it is just preening. Humans have microscopic skin imperfections that need to be addressed by a caring mate. God forbid you actually have a visible freckle... :eek::eek: you ain't seen nuthin' yet! OUCH! She's just being a good girl and helping you get rid of those microscopic problems. ;) Sometimes they will get a little tiny hair, or who knows what they see, and it can really hurt! She needs to learn, gradually, what is too much preening. If birds are preening each other, you will even see this - they will let each other know with sounds and body language when too much is too much. Try to do this when you start to see her going toward that obsessive.... obsessive.... focusing on one spot... that's when you know that she has found one of those 'imperfections'. She's trying to be a good mate by ridding you of them. Try making a noise, redirecting her, having her step up just before she gets to that point, touching her head gently or some other place that will not be negative but will redirect her interest away from your skin. :) I have a certain noise that I make (same one all the time) that lets Coco know that I don't want to be preened that way, and she will lighten up. It is just something they gradually learn, and there are a variety of ways to redirect. You may end up trying various ones until you find one that works to communicate between the two of you. :)

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
When Ralph gets a little too enthusiastic about preening me, I will tell him to "be gentle." Sometimes it actually works. :D If the preening really gets to be too much to endure, you can try distracting Leela with a toy or treat, or anything else that could divert her attention.

Alex92

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Alex
Well I know she has bonded with me pretty fast. She is very affectionate with me and will only preen me. I'm trying to teach her to be gentle lol Thanks for the advice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.