• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Preening Toy Almost Strangled Gracie!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conure Conniption

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joe
The preening toy below was highly recommended by PetCo and she has always had one in her cage. Well, today she somehow managed to get strings of rope wrapped all the way around her neck and it somehow knotted together. She was trapped by the toy and looked frantic. I got scissors to try to cut the string but she wasnt aquainted with the scissors and was trying to freak out. I cut the strings as fast as i could as she was biting the scissors and pulling away. I was sooo scared. I finally cut the string and pulled her out of the cage to remove the string that was around her neck and under her feathers. Does anyone else use this toy? I have removed the toy and need to replace it with something new. What safe preening toys do your birds enjoy?

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Oh My Gosh Ben, thank God you were there. I had that same toy too awhile ago. The rope gets frayed after awhile. I had something similar happen with my Conure with leather wrapping around her neck. Now I am overly cautious about every toy I put in their cages. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am glad everything is ok. :hug8:

avianantics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Something with fleece is the best option. Shelly, I was just about to link your feather duster but you beat me to it, I see :D
I highly recommend this. Dont' have one personally in my cage because I'm trying to cut down on all possible "breeding indicators" for Ella, who is going nuts with her hormones, but as soon as everything levels out, I'll definitely be getting her one.

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
:omg: How scary. Glad you were there to save her. I'm very cautious with the length of any rope in my cages. I always trim it down to only being 1-2 inches long. But even then you have to watch for toes getting caught.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
wow, I am so glad that you were there to get him out!

shellbeme

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shelly
Had one of those years ago, I'm glad you were there to get her out!

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Ben, is that the Cotton Candy toy? I had one several years ago. It was only in the cage 3 days, no frayed ends or anything, and my YNA almost died from getting his head caught, and falling off his perch hanging himself. It was only by chance that we were home at the time. I was walking by the bird room and thought Max looked a bit strange, with his neck stretch up so much, went in to investigate and found him hanging. I started screaming 'call 911' (it was a reaction, I know they don't do pet emergencies). I opened his cage, still screaming a lifted Max up to get the pressure off his neck and my DH came running in. He was able to cut the twisted rope off of Max's neck. Max's eyes were closed and he wasn't breathing. I was crying and trying to do some birdie rescue breathing. I figured it was his only chance, and even though I had no idea what I was doing, it worked. He woke up and started fighting me and biting the you know what out of me. I didn't care. I held on to him for dear life, just cradling him in my arms while sitting on the floor, just crying and rocking him for over an hour. I immediately took all those new preening toys out of all the fids cages and destroyed them. I wrote the company but never got a response. I was able to convince the pet store I worked at to not sell this toy, and to this day if I see someone looking at that toy in a store, I share Max's story with them, hoping to convince them to get something different. If I hadn't been home, Max would be dead, and I would never have been able to forgive myself for providing a toy that killed him. I hate those toys!

shellbeme

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shelly
Ben, is that the Cotton Candy toy? I had one several years ago. It was only in the cage 3 days, no frayed ends or anything, and my YNA almost died from getting his head caught, and falling off his perch hanging himself. It was only by chance that we were home at the time. I was walking by the bird room and thought Max looked a bit strange, with his neck stretch up so much, went in to investigate and found him hanging. I started screaming 'call 911' (it was a reaction, I know they don't do pet emergencies). I opened his cage, still screaming a lifted Max up to get the pressure off his neck and my DH came running in. He was able to cut the twisted rope off of Max's neck. Max's eyes were closed and he wasn't breathing. I was crying and trying to do some birdie rescue breathing. I figured it was his only chance, and even though I had no idea what I was doing, it worked. He woke up and started fighting me and biting the you know what out of me. I didn't care. I held on to him for dear life, just cradling him in my arms while sitting on the floor, just crying and rocking him for over an hour. I immediately took all those new preening toys out of all the fids cages and destroyed them. I wrote the company but never got a response. I was able to convince the pet store I worked at to not sell this toy, and to this day if I see someone looking at that toy in a store, I share Max's story with them, hoping to convince them to get something different. If I hadn't been home, Max would be dead, and I would never have been able to forgive myself for providing a toy that killed him. I hate those toys!
That image is really upsetting-and it's even more upsetting that the company had absolutely NO response. I'm sure that's not the only complaint they have recieved for the same type of situation. Who is that made by?

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
:omg: how terribly scary. I am so glad you were home to free her.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Oh My Gosh Brigid how scary!! Thank God you were home. I really stay away from rope, and leather strips now because of my scare with Mango wrapping the leather around her neck somehow. Again, lucky I was home and did the same thing as you. :hug8:

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Oh how scary..I have heard about those cotton candy toys...

Conure Conniption

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joe
Thank you for all the advice and ideas! I was lookin around at all the toys and found out i am short on cash and birds..haha, i want to buy one of everything.

In retrospect i feel like a fool for even putting it in there. I still feel rattled from the whole ordeal. Seeing her freak out once she relized she was stuck and trying to pull away makes me feel sick, i thought her head was gonna pop off.

I have gloves by her cage in case of emergencies but i wasnt expecting this and hadnt really given it much thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.