• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

power outage light

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Does anyone have any recommendations for a power outage light, that lights up the entire room automatically during a power outage?

Recently, the power went out overnight, and my cockatiel got scared in the complete dark. I turned on a flash light for her, but I am worried this might happen again and I might not wake up. Normally, she has the kitchen sink light on all night. (My living room and kitchen are one big room, she sleeps in the living room) A night light is not enough light for her during the night.

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
I have the same problem, we're prone to blizzards here...
I wonder if you can use a small genarator

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They have flashlights that plug into the wall and will turn on as soon as power is removed. I have a couple across the house. I point them upwards on the outlet so the light goes to the ceiling and is dispersed. I think mine are Energizer brand.

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
I have the GE One Bulb, which is a standard lightbulb that recharges while the power is on and can be used in regular light fixtures during an outage. I believe it can also be battery powered. You can set it to turn on automatically when the power goes out. It works really well, I've actually gifted them to a bunch of family members!

Bulb

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
This flat one isn't as bright as the others we have, but there's no difference in brightness between the regular nightlight mode and power failure mode so it might be what you're looking for. :)
Screenshot_20220412-220708_Chrome.jpg

But these Eco-i-lites are our favorites for the rest of the house. We use them for everything! They're handheld flashlights that rest in their plug-in base. They're easy to grab, stand upright on their ends & you can turn them in their base to direct the nightlight where you want it. They are a bit pricey online, but my mom got a great deal at Costco years ago & we split a pack. That was about 10 years ago & 2 of my three still work (though the nightlight finally died in one.)
Screenshot_20220412-220651_Chrome.jpg

We also have a few of these. They plug directly into the wall & the prongs fold flat if you need to use it as a flashlight. The prongs are a little flimsy so I'm not sure how well they'll hold up. This is our first year with these.
Screenshot_20220412-220600_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
This flat one isn't as bright as the others we have, but there's no difference in brightness between the regular nightlight mode and power failure mode so it might be what you're looking for. :)
View attachment 405890

But these Eco-i-lites are our favorites for the rest of the house. We use them for everything! They're handheld flashlights that rest in their plug-in base. They're easy to grab, stand upright on their ends & you can turn them in their base to direct the nightlight where you want it. They are a bit pricey online, but my mom got a great deal at Costco years ago & we split a pack. That was about 10 years ago & 2 of my three still work (though the nightlight finally died in one.)
View attachment 405887

We also have a few of these. They plug directly into the wall & the prongs fold flat if you need to use it as a flashlight. The prongs are a little flimsy so I'm not sure how well they'll hold up. This is our first year with these.
View attachment 405888
We had these and I loved them but ours both decided to stop charging and working at the same time.
The actual
Light bulbs that self charge sound pretty interesting.