• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Potty training progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keiness

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Keri
So training Diya has been pretty sporadic between funny work shifts and there is defiantly things we need to work on (separation anxiety/calling for people). However, on the clicker training side of things i'm starting to see progress! Diya got target training fairly easily (and working on recalls) and I think he understands now that the click = good. Though back to topic, apparently Diya had been trained to go on command to "potty" but lost it after a bird sitting for a week or two. So I use to always try and say "toilet" when he went and that's about it. First attempts to get him to go over a waste basket or toilet just ended with him exploding on the trip over and leaving a splash trail. :marievacuums:

Within the past few days decided to try it more and put the basket closer. So I thought what the heck, put him over, commanded "toilet" and sure enough... Bombs away! I was shocked and then rewarded with a click and happy praise while wondering if it might have been just good timing or a fluke....but every time since he's gone when asked. (Of course if you don't take him there, he won't hold it in either and wont bother waiting). So I wondered if it was the word (toilet) or the item (Waste basket) that was triggering the action. So I decided to take him over the actual toilet and sure enough, he did as told. Yeahhhhh. This is going to make cleaning sooo much easier.:dance5:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Be careful what you teach. Potty training is dangerous to teach a bird for a number of reasons.

Keiness

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Keri
I have read that its dangerous, (holding it too long, or straining) so I've been careful when I do it. When he comes out of the cage (mornings, or down times if I see he hasn't gone inside) or if he's been out for awhile/notice the feather shuffle before they go. I keep the basket beside the cage now so its just a transfer from perch to hand and over. I don't reward so he doesn't think its necessary and he will go wherever if I don't bring him over it, I figured that would lessen the danger. Though I suppose it is always risky. Hmmm.

EDIT: I wonder if redirecting his training to not a command, but a area would work too...put perches over areas of paper towel or something...So he can fly to and from when needed....hmmm.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
That's not what you wrote.

I don't reward so he doesn't think its necessary
commanded "toilet" and sure enough... Bombs away! I was shocked and then rewarded with a click and happy praise while wondering if it might have been just good timing or a fluke....but every time since he's gone when asked.
If you continue doing this he will learn it and either hold it or strain to please you.

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
Cleaning the mess is much easier and cheaper than a vet visit somewhere down the line, I agree with John it isn't worth it to me to take such chances with my fids health.

They aren't meant to hold their poop and sometimes things happen that may keep them from doing their business when "they" need to then you've opened up a whole new can of worms.

Keiness

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Keri
I rewarded with a clicker, not a treat. Today when he came out and was given the basket he just flew off not needing it. To be honest, he's stubborn enough I can't imagine him waiting around for me to do anything. However, thanks for the warning, I defiantly don't want to do him more harm then good. I'll take your advice.

I'm not a fan of flight suits, it seems like it would be somewhat restrictive? I'm just using a aviator harness.

TheBeesKnees

Real Name
Lindsey Champine
I don't find the flight suit restrictive at all. He has use of his wings etc. He actually seems to enjoy it, at least, that's what his body language says, but who knows?! With Michigan being as cold as it is, I am willing to do whatever necessary to help him stay warm.

glaciermouse

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mandi
I rewarded with a clicker, not a treat. Today when he came out and was given the basket he just flew off not needing it. To be honest, he's stubborn enough I can't imagine him waiting around for me to do anything. However, thanks for the warning, I defiantly don't want to do him more harm then good. I'll take your advice.

I'm not a fan of flight suits, it seems like it would be somewhat restrictive? I'm just using a aviator harness.
A click is a bridge, not a reward.

ja-nee

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
John
Juliet came "house broken". She will go in her cage and on her playstand only, so far. She does a little dance when on the back of her favorite chair and I move her to the cage or playstand and away she goes. She is a re-home eclectus and been here almost 4 months.

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
Well, I don't purpose potty train Ceddy, she's kinda been doing it herself by flying back to one of 'her' areas (and believe me, I am thankful for that :D)

The only thing I do is to praise her with a Good Girl when I notice she's flown away from me (or somewhere I'd prefer her Not to go potty :p) especially for that purpose or even on occasion if she has refused to step up because she had 'to go' first but I don't make a big deal out of it.

It's still her choice, I'm just lucky that she wants to do it :D

Screechless

Strolling the yard
I personally think what you're doing is great as long as you keep her potty place close to her and make sure you reward her for also going when she's in the cage/playstand. :) Really, IMO it should be about teaching them where not to go, as opposed to where to go. When Kuzon would poop on my bed as a babe, I thought it was fine for a while until I noticed that when he would poop in places where he'd have easy access to the droppings after he was done, and I couldn't see them right away, he would try to play with it/eat it. :huh:

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Zena won't poop on me. She'll go to other people to poop or she'll hang her butt off of my shoulder. No one trained her this, it's just one of her little quirks. It's made it really easy to potty train her. I can tell when she has to go because she gets antsy and wants to get off of me. I started out saying poopy every time she goes. Now I take her to her stand as soon as she starts getting antsy, put her down, wait until she goes, say poopy and pick her back up again. My hope is that one day she'll learn to say poopy. Even if she doesn't, when her feathers grow (clipped from the breeder) it would be amazing if she'd fly to her stand to poop. Most birds will give you a little warning before they go. I feel like using that and letting them go naturally is safest.

Status
Not open for further replies.