• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Potential new breeder- need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silvra

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
Yeah I don't agree with that advice or suggestion. I don't believe in cruelty.
So you all think that in the wild people go around finding parrot nests and taking out chicks that need help? Some people choose to let their breeder parrots just learn naturally without removing chicks. People who breed that way often find that they end up with better parent birds and often get a form of 'natural selection' so that their lines end up healthier than other birds available. There's also the issue that, even with a camera in the box, sometimes you just can't see how well all of the chicks are doing and flighty parents might not let you check on chicks.

Now I'm too soft hearted to do that and help out my parrotlets when they need it but I don't see any ethical issues with letting nature take its course.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
So you all think that in the wild people go around finding parrot nests and taking out chicks that need help? Some people choose to let their breeder parrots just learn naturally without removing chicks. People who breed that way often find that they end up with better parent birds and often get a form of 'natural selection' so that their lines end up healthier than other birds available. There's also the issue that, even with a camera in the box, sometimes you just can't see how well all of the chicks are doing and flighty parents might not let you check on chicks.

Now I'm too soft hearted to do that and help out my parrotlets when they need it but I don't see any ethical issues with letting nature take its course.
So with natural selection are we supposed to just go out and shoot deer to keep the herds healthy as they say when they open up hunting season? Or shoot all fox and raccoons thinking the possibility is there that they are all rabid? The reality is we cannot help wild birds in this realm just as we cannot go feed the wild horses, boars, lions, tigers, wilder beast and elephants that die from starvation or lack of water etc. etc. I am glad that you help out your Parrotlets. But then again why are you allowing them to keep reproducing in the first place? :confused: It is a lot easier to make a claim like you did, then tell us atleast or thankfully you assist your parrotlet clutches. The reality is here with a statement as such that shouldn't be if People would remove eggs or split their pairs of birds who do breed.

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Personally, I feel that it's one thing to not do anything because you don't know any better or are not present when the crisis occurs.

I also feel it would be incredibly shameful and irresponsible to allow suffering to occur when you have the ability to prevent or do something about it.

VickiNC

Strolling the yard
From what people were saying about hand rearing. You don't have to hand rear if you don't want to. If the parents mess up the first few times then you can just let the chicks die and the parents will have hopefully learnt for the future.
Skipping over the fact that I could never just let a chick die if there was any way to save it, many breeder birds don't "learn" over time to be good parents. Some do and some don't. Let's face it -- even the best breeder with the best aviary set-up and the best nutrition program simply can't replicate, completely, the conditions under which parrots reproduce in the wild. Also, captive bred birds often don't know what to do in a breeding situation and can't just "figure it out." They needed parents and/or a flock to teach them, and they never had that.

There are a huge number of breeder birds out there who aren't good parents and never will be. I sort of alluded to this in my previous post, when I said you would need to be really cautious in buying pairs of birds. Breeder pairs are for sale for a reason -- and the reason is often that they aren't good parents. Someone breeds the pair, discovers that they kill their babies, doesn't want to hand feed from day one, and advertises them as a "proven pair." Someone else buys them, discovers that they kill their babies, doesn't want to hand feed from day one, and again advertises them as a "proven pair." The parents are repeatedly "rehomed." Babies repeatedly die.

I disagree, in general, with the idea that no one should be breeding parrots. If no one breeds parrots, every species will eventually disappear as pets. However, I absolutely agree that MOST people shouldn't be breeding parrots. And no one should be breeding parrots if they aren't prepared to hand feed babies from day one.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I disagree, in general, with the idea that no one should be breeding parrots. If no one breeds parrots, every species will eventually disappear as pets. However, I absolutely agree that MOST people shouldn't be breeding parrots. And no one should be breeding parrots if they aren't prepared to hand feed babies from day one.
I can and do agree with this statement with certain species especially endangered species. But for the general novice of wanting to breed to make a buck unless seriously intended for betterment of a said species, then no. I'd give a left boob for a breeding pair of Imperial Amazons to allow this species to thrive and increase in numbers if it were possible. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Amazon

Last edited:

VickiNC

Strolling the yard

I can and do agree with this statement with certain species especially endangered species. But for the general novice of wanting to breed to make a buck unless seriously intended for betterment of a said species, then no. I'd give a left boob for a breeding pair of Imperial Amazons to allow this species to thrive and increase in numbers if it were possible. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Amazon

I agree that breeding should be done for the betterment (and preservation) of whatever species the breeder is working with. If there weren't breeders (of parrots, dogs, cats, ferrets, snakes, hamsters ...) who were only looking to make a buck, there wouldn't be such a problem of homeless pets.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
All I want to say on this subject is.........Don't breed. Do you know how many rescues are full of unwanted birds? Please don't add to that problem. Why not just enjoy the birds you have?
Oh I have one more thing to add here... Did you know the average parrot have more than 7 homes in it's life time? So breeding and then sending a bird on to a happy home....doesn't mean that bird is going to land there for long.
I normally don't poke on in this section, but regarding the last paragraph of Silvras post.... If you are unwilling to hand rear you don't just let the chicks die and try again. If that is even an option in your mind you dont need to be breeding. That's horrible to read. :(
All of this.

In the wild, if there is no food or water available, birds and other animals die. Is that also acceptable for an animal in one's care? No big deal whether you provide them with food and water or not? That's what you are doing if you let your baby birds starve.

There's a difference between one's obligation to animals living in the wild, and animals one has taken into your home and who are dependent on you.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
From what people were saying about hand rearing. You don't have to hand rear if you don't want to. If the parents mess up the first few times then you can just let the chicks die and the parents will have hopefully learnt for the future. You can also co-parent and help out with large clutches by doing a little supplimentary feeding
Really??

MsCreature

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shy
I think that people are getting distracted and derailing this thread to a completely different topic. Not everyone has agreeing opinions, and that's just something we all need to learn to live with. :] No need to gang up and start arguments.

Anyways. Are there any species you are madly in love with? I see you're in Australia and I know there are different availabilities of birds there. I'd say find something you absolutely love, study the species and try to learn how to better them as a whole and see if breeding works out. I don't know if there is a Wildlife Rehab place in your area, but I learned to hand feed by rescuing songbirds through my local rehab place. It's just a fun and rewarding experience, and there is valuable knowledge beyond breeding to be learnt.

If you'd like to give breeding a try, I think it is in your right to do so. :] You're obviously looking for input before doing it, and I think that's a step in the right direction!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think that people are getting distracted and derailing this thread to a completely different topic.
I'd have to agree. If the thread continues down this path without addressing the questions the OP asked, it'll need to be closed.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If the parents mess up the first few times then you can just let the chicks die and the parents will have hopefully learnt for the future. You can also co-parent and help out with large clutches by doing a little supplimentary feeding.
Now I'm too soft hearted to do that and help out my parrotlets when they need it
So why advise a newbie to do it?

but I don't see any ethical issues with letting nature take its course.
There is nothing natural about breeding in our homes or aviaries, so nature would not be taking it's course.

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Canada and other countries may not be as flooded with parrots as the U.S. But I do agree that most shouldn't breed. Its how we the U.S got in the hole we are in.
The statement regarding Canada:
We are indeed flooded with unwanted parrots! Here on Vancouver Island B.C. (a very small Island) there is one sanctuary with over 800 parrots. That's just one facility in western Canada. In addition, there's a sanctuary in the interior of B.C. that is maxed out with unwanted birds. Same with places in Alberta, and also one for sure that we know of in Ontario (maxed out, no room at the inn)
The problem of unwanted parrots is all across Canada, not just in the U.S. I have no idea what it's like, for example, in the UK or other parts of Europe, but assume it's the same.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay, this thread seems to be irretrievably off-topic, and membership has fully addressed related issues, so I'm going to close it. If the OP feels questions were not answered or wants to ask any further questions related to the original topic, s/he may start a new thread for that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.